• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VaqueroEM

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 29, 2011
    South side of Indy
    Anyone ever bought a gun from that site? Any issues?

I saw on a local gun stores website that FFL transfers are $25 but if the transfer is from cheaperthandirt.com it is $100. Any ideas why the fee is so large?

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Because CTD has a terrible reputation for price gouging, and now that they're selling firearms, they're undercutting nearly everyone in the business. They're generally just bunch of jerks and most folks in the firearms biz would rather they didn't exist.

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    Because CTD has a terrible reputation for price gouging, and now that they're selling firearms, they're undercutting nearly everyone in the business. They're generally just bunch of jerks and most folks in the firearms biz would rather they didn't exist.

Couldn't have said it better. The day after the Tucson shooting, the marked a 50 round box of Federal 9mm up to $49.99...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    CTD, is in my opinion, the lowest of the low. They prey on the inexperienced, price gouge when others have simply allowed customers to back order at discount prices.

Anyone else remember when they were "discounting" MagPul Pmags for $39 each!?!

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I couldn't disagree with the 4 above comments more. While I personally have never had an issue with CTD, I wouldn't debate a customer service issue. If its true someone had a problem, then so it stands.

However Price Gouging is slanderous at best. How does this site promote free market and capitalism on every thread then ***** when a business decides to create its own curve in the market when its gun related? If the prices are high don't pay, but gouging is a completely different definition.

It's up to the buyer to decide if the price is worth the purchase.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've never had any problem with them. Every store out there will be higher or lower on their inventory when compared to someone else. If you think the price is too high then don't buy from them.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    I love CTD. I don't use them often, but when I am looking for something harder to find, they usually come up big for me. I agree with RedneckMedic. Its their business, they are free to charge what they want.

Personally, I don't have a problem paying a couple bucks more for something that has been harder to find for me.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Its their business, they are free to charge what they want.

I agree 100%. Just like I'm free to say I disagree with their business model and choose to spend my money elsewhere. That's exactly how the free-market system is supposed to work.

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    I couldn't disagree with the 4 above comments more. While I personally have never had an issue with CTD, I wouldn't debate a customer service issue. If its true someone had a problem, then so it stands.

However Price Gouging is slanderous at best. How does this site promote free market and capitalism on every thread then ***** when a business decides to create its own curve in the market when its gun related? If the prices are high don't pay, but gouging is a completely different definition.

It's up to the buyer to decide if the price is worth the purchase.

A business model that uses a tragedy involving a gun to raise prices artificially because, and I'm quoting the employee at CTD that I asked, "Prices might be going up if they ban 9mm..." does not get my respect or my business...

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    A business model that uses a tragedy involving a gun to raise prices artificially because, and I'm quoting the employee at CTD that I asked, "Prices might be going up if they ban 9mm..." does not get my respect or my business...

That's great though and you shouldn't spend your money there. Theses plenty of places to buy whatever we want.

VaqueroEM

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 29, 2011
    South side of Indy
    The problem is, they have a gun that I want and can't find elsewhere. Now, if I purchase it from them, I am going to have a weight on my shoulders about doing so!

DAMN! This is a hard decision now. Never have I purchased a gun online and I cant find what I am looking for in stores. Maybe I will have to check around a bit more. But hunting season is here and I dont have a ton of time now.

VaqueroEM

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 29, 2011
    South side of Indy
    Ill take this a bit further and get some opinions. Anyone know where I can find a Marlin 22 mag? Prefer the XT series... yeah yeah.. I know they are cheap. But having owned one at one time, I like the gun and I killed many squirrels with it!

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    The problem is, they have a gun that I want and can't find elsewhere. Now, if I purchase it from them, I am going to have a weight on my shoulders about doing so!

DAMN! This is a hard decision now. Never have I purchased a gun online and I cant find what I am looking for in stores. Maybe I will have to check around a bit more. But hunting season is here and I dont have a ton of time now.

Why? They use child labor? Use baby Harper Seal fur to line the gun cases? If you agree with the price than buy it; it's your money.

RangeJunkie

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Geist
    Why? They use child labor? Use baby Harper Seal fur to line the gun cases? If you agree with the price than buy it; it's your money.

Agreed. Getting a good price on something doesn't necessarily mean you paid the lowest for it, it can mean that the customer was satisfied with the price he/she paid for it; even if it wasnt the lowest out there.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side

You could have a local shop order the gun for you...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    You could have a local shop order the gun for you...

That is what I thought too. I've never seen a local shop that couldn't get pretty much any gun. Especially a production gun.

Local gun dealers work on pretty slim margins, even if people don't believe that. I've always had good luck with creating a good working relationship with a local shop and buying through them. They may charge a little more, but they don't charge for shipping or a transfer fee so usually the price ends up about the same. The other advantage is they will help you out willingly the NEXT time and the time after that . . .

You help keep a local guy in business, he helps you with great service.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Top Bottom