• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    What's the cheapest M14 you can buy that isn't a complete piece of crap?

I've been searching around and seen several at the $1500 price range, and a few in the $600-$700 price range, but I dont' know anything about these.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    get a Polytech, or a Norinco. They actually have pluses over the latest commercially made M1a's from SA. USGI receivers; or, forged receivers at the worst...some of them.

You may ask Sporter on this site. He's had quite a few models more than I and knows more history.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I heard the rear stamped (as opposed to the side stamp) recievers were better. You might look into that.

Gunbroker will have used SA m1a's for $1100 every once in a while. You could even pick up a loaded for $1500. I like the loaded for the match barrel.

Airwolf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Terre Haute, IN
    If you get into the Chicom stuff you may have issues swapping parts out for USGI, especially flash supressors and castle nuts. They spot welded a lot of them and the thread patterns may be different.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    The Polytech line of M14's that one can find for around $900 area are about the cheapest option to step into an M1A/M14 style rifle.

The Polytech has a true forged and machined to USGI spec receiver.
    The downfall of the Polytech is that some have had some long head space issues.
    However I have never ever read or seen an example of one having a Kaboom.

Out of the box a Chinese M14 will function perfectly and will probably never let you down. The Chinese M14's also have a chrome lined barrel that is on par with a USGI barrel.
    There are several M14 smiths on the net that will install a USGI bolt in a Chinese M14 to bring it up to USGI specs.
    Overall a Chinese M14 with a GI bolt and some other mods is probably the closest you will get to the real thing.

Another good option is to go with a Springfield Armory M1A, preferably one that is about 10-20 years old. The older you get the more USGI parts are typically in the rifle itself.
    The Springfield has a lifetime warranty. Some have had some problems with newer SA models. The problems I have seen from commercial parts are: Bent op rods, extractors flying off etc.

Other than some small issues the Springfield Armory is a top shelf rifle. The SA receivers are investment cast.

A company out of New York "LRB" does manufacture drop forged M14 style receivers. They are pretty top shelf and seem to have a good reputation at the moment.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom