• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iamhdr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2013
    Indiana
    I have a Lee single stage and really like the quality and cost. If speed is your concern I wouldn't recommend it but I don't mind the repetitive nature of the single stage. I actually like taking my time.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    When I first got into it I bought a Lee Challenger press and the starter kit from Midway....back then it was about $80 for the whole thing...came with single stage press, no dies, power scale, primer installer, and a set of shell holders. Made a ton of ammo with that setup.

Today I wouldn't have a single stage press, definitely get the multi stage.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Depends on what you consider cheap. If initial price is what you consider cheap then Lee is the answer. However, if like me you consider cheap something that cost more initially but will last a couple of lifetimes and still work as intended, then Lee may not be the answer.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I have Lee equipment that has been working as intended since the 1960's.

A lot depends on how one takes care of their possessions.

And one guy I work with has had good luck with a set of cheap chinese micrometers. Not a common thing. Never said there was anything wrong with Lee stuff, just not exactly the mostest solid of choices. Been looking at used reloading stuff a long time and used Lee stuff is normally the most worn out of all.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'm not a big proponent of used equipment for a first time reloader. I've seen a lot of used equipment with missing or broken parts. Unless the newbie has an experienced reloader to accompany him or her to look over used equipment, I think it would be better and less frustrating for the newbie to stick with new equipment that is affordable.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    And one guy I work with has had good luck with a set of cheap chinese micrometers. Not a common thing. Never said there was anything wrong with Lee stuff, just not exactly the mostest solid of choices. Been looking at used reloading stuff a long time and used Lee stuff is normally the most worn out of all.

Obviously not taken care of. There are those that can break an anvil.

Mine were used heavily, but well taken care of, 20,000 to 30,000 reloads for the 3 summer months. However I do not reload near as much now, age & health has taken it's toll.

Have never used Chinese micks, but do use Chinese calibers both dial and digital, they complement my Starrett & Mitutoyo calibers nicely.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I never abuse tools. Even baby them. I regularly had to tighten up my old Challenger press as it worked loose. I no longer fuss over my presses as neither of them have the cheap factor designed into them.

My latest set of chinese calipers lasted exactly one measurement. The other set is still going strong along with the Staretts and Mitiyoyos.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I never abuse tools. Even baby them. I regularly had to tighten up my old Challenger press as it worked loose. I no longer fuss over my presses as neither of them have the cheap factor designed into them.

My latest set of chinese calipers lasted exactly one measurement. The other set is still going strong along with the Staretts and Mitiyoyos.

Never said or implied that you abused your equipment, was referring to the used equipment you referred to.

So return the Chinese calibers, simple solution. If perchance they are H/F, they're guaranteed.

Just what did you need to "tighten up" on your old Challenger Press? Surely not the ram as there's no adjustment.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom