• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rand60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    I heard recently from a friend that its important to have blood lead levels checked on a regular basis if one is reloading ammo on an ongoing basis. i guess its easy for the skin to absorb the lead from handling it frequently. Has anyone seen a recommendation on this? I understand that lead can accumulate in the body over time and create health problems. Just thought i would check to see if anyone has heard anything on this or if this is a true cause for concern

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    There is certainly a higher potential for increased lead exposure if you reload - particularly with shotshell reloading and bullet casting. From what I've researched, the best way to keep your exposure to a minimum is keeping your reloading area cleaned up and washing your hands after handling any ammunition. If you are concerned about area contamination, you can get test kits from some of the supply houses or Amazon to determine where the potential problems are. Some of the various forum posters even go so far as having yearly blood tests for lead levels if they do a lot of reloading.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I think the risk is minimal if you are not casting bullets. Like above, keep clean and washed up, don't eat a sandwich while you are reloading. In general, I think there is a bigger lead hazard shooting in a poorly ventilated range than reloading, since some of the lead is vaporized when fired. You can always wear latex gloves while you reload.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    your skin actually doesnt absorb it(according to my doctor, thats not possible). Most lead poisoning comes from people handling lead and then eating/drinking without washing your hands.

One thing you can do to help prevent the body from absorbing lead is to eat foods rich in vitamin D and vitamin C.

as for casting, keep lead below the vaporization point and that reduces the chances of getting lead in your body as well. Lead vaporizes when heated well over 1200 degrees, most casting is done between 600-800. Still a good idea to where a respirator to be safe.

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    I've never worried about it in my system, but I checked the garage the other day and I was down to about 300 pounds and started to get concerned! :nailbite:

Top Bottom