• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    So I primarily shoot handguns and do not have a whole lot of experience running rifles, been meaning to do that and plan on starting this summer with a few classes. I am looking at getting a chest rig for magazines and whatnot as I am not a fan of belt mounted rifle magazines.

Right now I think I have it narrowed down to two choices the Mayflower UW Gen 4 rig or the Haley Strategic rig as I would like the ability to have 4 mags on the rig minimum and they both have the ability to be expanded on or mounted to armor.

https://www.velsyst.com/uw-chest-rig-gen-iv.html
    (Mayflower Rig)

https://www.haleystrategic.com/equipment/chestrigs/d3crx/d3crx-multicam
    (Haley Strategic Rig, only thing I do not like is the X-Harness I prefer the H harness of the Mayflower)

I would really like some more suggestions or feedback, Another option I was considering is the SOE AR/AK chest rig but they don't really make them anymore unfortunately.

https://www.originalsoegear.com/collections/chest-rigs/products/ak-m4-chest-rig
    (SOE Chest Rig)

Eventually I would like to get a carrier and armor so the ability to mount the rig to a carrier is a big plus at least in my mind.

Thanks everyone!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Either would serve you well, Mayflower/Velocity I think would be the better rig for expansion into armor. I have the Haley D3 with the old H harness and like it better than the X harness as well.

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    What is your expectation for durability, budget and intended use? You have lots of options. I have Tactical Taylor and Blackhawk, and some cheap Condor stuff. There's lots of flexibility these days, and you can customize plenty with Molle

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I have the old style hsp d3cr with the stuffit pouch. it is my active shooter rig and hangs out in the passenger seat. The hsp isn't user configurable but i think it kinda reduces the bulk. you could probably find a "H" harness somewhere.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    What is your expectation for durability, budget and intended use? You have lots of options. I have Tactical Taylor and Blackhawk, and some cheap Condor stuff. There's lots of flexibility these days, and you can customize plenty with Molle
    You said Blackhawk, and cheap condor stuff in the same sentence, and you were serious! Hahahahhhahahahahah!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Check out any of Dean’s posts, and you’ll see, budget is a word he doesn’t understand. He wants, and will pay for, the best. He started with Mayflower, Haley, and SOE, that’s enough said right there.

Slovpeter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Honestly your options will be much more expanded if you look at 3 magazine chest rigs. Why dont you want to run magazines on your belt? Reloading from your belt line is much faster compared to a pouch on your chest. Now, I will say the best way to do things in my experience is to keep your belt low profile with 1-2 pistol mags, 1 rifle mag, and a IFAK. Thats what I have personally ran and it works great. The Mayflower and Haley Rigs are great, but ask yourself if you really need a PRC 152/MBITR Pouch, multiple pistol pouches, and have an overt chest rig? Im in Afghanistan and would only consider a Mayflower if I was a Squad Leader or an SF dude running a radio, and had other mission essential items. Keep in mind what you said regarding your goal. You want to carry magazines for a carbine course. 3-4 at a time is plenty. Thats 120 rounds to work with and you can easily add another 1-2 to a rear pocket or set down somewhere. Do not weigh yourself down when you have to.

As a SAW gunner I carry 500 rounds total on me ready to go on my kit. On my kit nothing is there besides my NODS pouch which is small, and hidden out of the way. Lastly, I wear a Spiritus Systems dangler as an IFAK to finish it off my JPC 2.0 since rear mounted ifaks are a problem working with the bulky kit I have and getting in and out of military vehicles.

Plate carrier wise just buy a $250 dollar Crye JPC and be done with it. I have both the 1.0 and 2.0 right now. I bought the 2.0 for the front panel option, but I might get rid of it because I feel overall the carrier does too much for the original intention, but I got it as a present so I don't really lose. I just am a tad bit OCD.

I would really suggest going with a 3-4 magazine chestrig and IFAK setup if you truly want a one and done system. You don't need all these extra pouches. Buy what you need and get rid of the rest. Your body will thank you later. I know that first hand hiking up at 5,500 feet constantly up to 7,000 feet. The Haley Rig and OSOE M4/AK Micro rig seem to be the best options for what you listed and what you desire, but I would recommend the Spiritus systems chest rig with their dangler pouch.

Buy once, cry once. KISS. You will thank yourself later. Don't buy **** cheap that your life could depend on. Buy what you need, not what you want or think looks cool.

My setup does 3 things: Plug holes, Stops holes, and makes holes

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

Not really looking into those brands, I would like to only have to buy one rig preferably

My favorite is LBT then TT.

Is this what you are reffereing to because I have to admit I do like the layout and thought process behind the rig

Load Bearing Chest Rig London Bridge Trading Inc.

Check out any of Dean’s posts, and you’ll see, budget is a word he doesn’t understand. He wants, and will pay for, the best. He started with Mayflower, Haley, and SOE, that’s enough said right there.

Spot on as usual :ingo:

Honestly your options will be much more expanded if you look at 3 magazine chest rigs. Why dont you want to run magazines on your belt? Reloading from your belt line is much faster compared to a pouch on your chest. Now, I will say the best way to do things in my experience is to keep your belt low profile with 1-2 pistol mags, 1 rifle mag, and a IFAK. Thats what I have personally ran and it works great. The Mayflower and Haley Rigs are great, but ask yourself if you really need a PRC 152/MBITR Pouch, multiple pistol pouches, and have an overt chest rig? Im in Afghanistan and would only consider a Mayflower if I was a Squad Leader or an SF dude running a radio, and had other mission essential items. Keep in mind what you said regarding your goal. You want to carry magazines for a carbine course. 3-4 at a time is plenty. Thats 120 rounds to work with and you can easily add another 1-2 to a rear pocket or set down somewhere. Do not weigh yourself down when you have to.

As a SAW gunner I carry 500 rounds total on me ready to go on my kit. On my kit nothing is there besides my NODS pouch which is small, and hidden out of the way. Lastly, I wear a Spiritus Systems dangler as an IFAK to finish it off my JPC 2.0 since rear mounted ifaks are a problem working with the bulky kit I have and getting in and out of military vehicles.

Plate carrier wise just buy a $250 dollar Crye JPC and be done with it. I have both the 1.0 and 2.0 right now. I bought the 2.0 for the front panel option, but I might get rid of it because I feel overall the carrier does too much for the original intention, but I got it as a present so I don't really lose. I just am a tad bit OCD.

I would really suggest going with a 3-4 magazine chestrig and IFAK setup if you truly want a one and done system. You don't need all these extra pouches. Buy what you need and get rid of the rest. Your body will thank you later. I know that first hand hiking up at 5,500 feet constantly up to 7,000 feet. The Haley Rig and OSOE M4/AK Micro rig seem to be the best options for what you listed and what you desire, but I would recommend the Spiritus systems chest rig with their dangler pouch.

Buy once, cry once. KISS. You will thank yourself later. Don't buy **** cheap that your life could depend on. Buy what you need, not what you want or think looks cool.

Really good feedback! I was thinking of running the IFAK in one of the larger "radio" pouches to just keep everything on the rig as since I am not military I would like a throw it on and done type system. More of an immediate response type set up. That and the ability of the Haley and Mayflower rig to use swift clips and attach directly to a plate carrier is a big plus in my book to keep things KISS.

Finally I 100% agree with the buy once cry once mentality. I would rather spend more upfront in order to avoid having to buy a total new rig every few years when lesser quality rigs fall apart.

Slovpeter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    You seem pretty dead set on your options so I would certainly suggest the Mayflower or HSP D3 with a dangler then for a one and done type system. You can’t go wrong with either one at this point. I know guys who run both out here and they love both options. Mayflower seems to be more popular from what I’ve seen/ ran into

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Another vote for London Bridge which I used for many years professionaly and also tactical tailor. You won't go wrong with either.
    I like the haily chest Rigs and have owned one but I have no real use with one other than it sitting in a bag so I can't make a educated recommendation of it on durability.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    When I had an IBA, I used to keep my gear on my FLC, because I don't want to wear the IBA if I don't have to. I'm getting hot just thinking about it.

Since I was issued a London Bridge plate carrier, I haven't seen the need for a separate "rig". Just mount the mag carriers and IFAK directly to it and save the expense and extra straps and crap of a separate piece of gear. It's comfortable and breathable enough to wear around Ft. Polk for a month. If the need arises, just slide in your eSAPI's and go.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've moved away from using a chest rig & down to a battle belt. I can grab my First Spear vest & belt but I can't easily grab and don my vest and chest rig. wearing my mag pouches on my vest just didn't work well during class.

So if just taking a class then fine. I can use my Tactical Tailor chest rig. Any kind of SHTF where I need the vest then it's vest + battle belt.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area

If any new guy wants to know what a "Quality Post" is, I'm gonna point him to this response.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    As Vigilant said, I like Deans style. Buy the best and go with it! Buy once cry once for sure! Here is a video from Garand Thumb. Mike has a different sense of humor to some but he's comparing the Haley and Mayflower in this video. It's most certainly worth giving it a watch!
    [video=youtube;CEUt9cS3eL0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEUt9cS3eL0[/video]

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    As Vigilant said, I like Deans style. Buy the best and go with it! Buy once cry once for sure! Here is a video from Garand Thumb. Mike has a different sense of humor to some but he's comparing the Haley and Mayflower in this video. It's most certainly worth giving it a watch!

That video is actually how I found out about Mayflower systems, previously I had never heard of them but what I have seen really impresses me. Garand Thumb is one of my favorite YouTube gun guys for sure.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I've moved away from using a chest rig & down to a battle belt. I can grab my First Spear vest & belt but I can't easily grab and don my vest and chest rig. wearing my mag pouches on my vest just didn't work well during class.

So if just taking a class then fine. I can use my Tactical Tailor chest rig. Any kind of SHTF where I need the vest then it's vest + battle belt.

That's what I've gravitated to now. Battlebelt. For me its really not different than what we did in the military back before everything started getting complicated. I've got my last line gear on my belt and if I have to dump everything else I'm still set up. Or if I don't need body armor and all the extra mags I'm still set with the mags and gear and pistol on my belt. 2 pistol, 2 rifle, ifak, flex cuffs, bang or smoke, radio and dump pouch and a multitool, and some IR chemliggts, mid pistol holster with pistol.
    Of coarse if I need all that **** now things have went sideways but one should always be prepared.
    The advantage of using a chest rig if you also use plates or just soft armor is the advantage to run those slick and under clothing like a shirt for low profile as a civilian and then run the chest rig on top of that shirt but under a jacket or coat.
    The other option is to run a plate carrier that allows for buckle and or Velcro attachment of a chest rig like the D3 is set up for, then you can do what I just described without the extra shoulder harness.
    Back when I did that **** for a living Haley strategic didn't even exist nor did mayflowr or of they did I didn't run it. The good **** issued to us was LBT and eagle. There are sooooo many good options now.
    I remember when the Rhodesian rig was high speed, of coarse that tuneded into the chest rig

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    That video is actually how I found out about Mayflower systems, previously I had never heard of them but what I have seen really impresses me. Garand Thumb is one of my favorite YouTube gun guys for sure.

That's funny, I like his channel too. Not my favorite but he's got good reviews. I am in the same boat as you. I go out and shoot my rifle do some reloads but I'm yet to get into a class where I'd need a belt and or chest rig. I'd like to get into some armor and junk too but I am constantly holding off waiting until I figure out what's best. When you pick something and get out and use be sure and post a review.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That's funny, I like his channel too. Not my favorite but he's got good reviews. I am in the same boat as you. I go out and shoot my rifle do some reloads but I'm yet to get into a class where I'd need a belt and or chest rig. I'd like to get into some armor and junk too but I am constantly holding off waiting until I figure out what's best. When you pick something and get out and use be sure and post a review.

I can't think of a rifle/carbine class where you would need a chest rig. A lot of people wear and get good use from them. In some cases the class lineup is comical when you look at all of the gear. But needed? I don't think so.

Your actual reloads should be from your belt. The best way to use a chest rig and similar gear is to replenish the pouch or two you have on your belt that you use for actually reloading the rifle. There are a variety of ways to carry multiple mags in a class to feed your belt pouches, including something as simple as a dump pouch, also mounted on your belt.

Top Bottom