Chevy dealer service dept... come on man...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Took truck in for oil change (cpo comp.) at 15,000 miles - they send me a report suggesting that I pre-book my appointment for next oil change and at that time I should rebalance all the tires and have a 2 wheel alignment performed. ($210+) Hard sell that this needed to be completed in my best interest. I'm like whatever man. Gimme ma truck...
    WTF? Does anyone do this?
    So i get an email today:
    Over a month ago, we performed a Multi-Point Inspection of your 2020 Chevrolet COLORADO and recommended urgent items that are directly related to the ongoing performance and safety of your vehicle.

It kind of annoys me.
    Opinions?

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I don't take my cars anywhere to get worked on, especially oil changes so no. I don't get them.
    Sure, i get that. I hadn't been to a dealership for service in quite some time but when you buy new or cpo and you are getting comp. service or having warranty work done it's the way it goes.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Cars sales are down right now. Other dealers I am speaking with are really hurting and with sales in the toilet, the dealerships are trying to keep their lights on through service. I am hearing of shop rates north of $200 to $300 an hour now.

They saying in the dealership business is service pays the bills, sales pays for the trips. Now service is needing to pay for both.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If my Ford dealer thinks I need that stuff, he always shows me the unusual tire wear that indicates there is a problem.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    I am hearing of shop rates north of $200 to $300 an hour now.

They saying in the dealership business is service pays the bills, sales pays for the trips. Now service is needing to pay for both.
    You know, I own a body shop, and we struggle to get over a certain dollar amount per hour. I see these dealership rates, and about lose my mind. If the techs are going to benefit from these ridiculous rates, that's one thing. Most of the time though, it just goes to the pockets of greedy owners.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I go to the Toyota dealer for oil changes because I am lazy and the price is okay and it is really convenient location wise. I got a list of stuff that "needed" done from the dealer last time I was in and it was over $2 grand. They wanted $600 just to change the spark plugs, I did that myself for the cost of plugs and a swivel head socket. They wanted $50 to change a cabin air filter.

I usually take the dealers list of "recommended" stuff to a trusted mechanic who does it for about 2/3 the price. And he will give me an honest answer regarding what really needs done. I should probably just go to him for the oil changes but once again lazy/convenient.

It is even worse when my wife takes her car to the Honda dealer. I have her trained to just say NO to their recommendations. She finally realizes how they try to rip her off and takes pleasure in not being buffaloed into service just because she is a woman.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    If it's certified pe-owned doesn't it come with some kind of warranty? Shouldn't they be doing the alignment free? Did they show you any tire wear that shows the need for an alignment?

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I go to the Toyota dealer for oil changes because I am lazy and the price is okay and it is really convenient location wise. I got a list of stuff that "needed" done from the dealer last time I was in and it was over $2 grand. They wanted $600 just to change the spark plugs, I did that myself for the cost of plugs and a swivel head socket. They wanted $50 to change a cabin air filter.

I usually take the dealers list of "recommended" stuff to a trusted mechanic who does it for about 2/3 the price. And he will give me an honest answer regarding what really needs done. I should probably just go to him for the oil changes but once again lazy/convenient.

It is even worse when my wife takes her car to the Honda dealer. I have her trained to just say NO to their recommendations. She finally realizes how they try to rip her off and takes pleasure in not being buffaloed into service just because she is a woman.

I can relate. I always did my own service work, never dreamed of taking it to a dealership. But, for an extra $8.00 vs me buying my own oil and filter, it is worth my time for a dealer to change my oil. Plus, the large truck service manager and I have known each other for 25 years, I know he is not going to bull**** me. Plus, I get a really nice discount at NAPA. So if I need a part and dont want to spend the Ford part money I just run to NAPA and they will install them for me. Which is nice too.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I can relate. I always did my own service work, never dreamed of taking it to a dealership. But, for an extra $8.00 vs me buying my own oil and filter, it is worth my time for a dealer to change my oil...
    Trust but Verify

No matter where I go for an oil change I always open the hood and check the dipstick. I do it right there in the parking lot at the dealer. And then again a few days later. Too many horror stories of not enough oil added or a loose filter/plug.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Took truck in for oil change (cpo comp.) at 15,000 miles - they send me a report suggesting that I pre-book my appointment for next oil change and at that time I should rebalance all the tires and have a 2 wheel alignment performed. ($210+) Hard sell that this needed to be completed in my best interest. I'm like whatever man. Gimme ma truck...
    So i get an email today:
    Over a month ago, we performed a Multi-Point Inspection of your 2020 Chevrolet COLORADO and recommended urgent items that are directly related to the ongoing performance and safety of your vehicle.

It kind of annoys me.
    Opinions?
    Wait until the manufacturers use the suggestions made by the dealer to determine if your warranty should be revoked because you didn’t return and have the suggested work done.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My wife tore a plastic splash shield off her car hitting something. In March I told her to take it to the dealer and have them put a new one on.

They said she needed pads and rotors. Funny, it got new pads and rotors and calipers 10 months earlier. They said a car that age would need new radiator hoses and cooling system service as well as new belts. All of those were changed in the middle of November and the parts labels are were still on the hoses, and the writing is still on the back of the serpentine belt. I have all the receipts.

Then they said the front and rear main seals need to changed or the engine will be ruined. Funny. The car has never leaked a drop of oil on my clean garage floor. They came up with $4500 of "maintenance items" they said were needed. They told her the car was unsafe to drive and then had a salesman tell her she needed a new car and that her husband did not love her for making her drive a car in that condition. Then they charged her $112 for the inspection.

That dealer really really screwed the pooch and I let them know that I cannot buy a new Ford in Lafayette. I have driven mostly FoMoCo products since the first new one in 1976. I get they need to try to up sell a little, but to flat out lie and try to intimidate an old woman. What a slime ball outfit.

And to top it off, they did not put a new plastic splash shield under it, and that is what it was brought in for.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Wait until the manufacturers use the suggestions made by the dealer to determine if your warranty should be revoked because you didn’t return and have the suggested work done.
    GM warranties are nearly worthless, anyway. Good luck getting them to admit their shoddy build quality and actually honor their warranty by replacing whatever broke with the same shoddy replacement part.

If you do happen to both own a recent GM product that is not a flaming ball of **** AND have a dealer with a service department that is not a hive of villainous, slimy scum, go buy a lottery ticket.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    My wife tore a plastic splash shield off her car hitting something. In March I told her to take it to the dealer and have them put a new one on.

They said she needed pads and rotors. Funny, it got new pads and rotors and calipers 10 months earlier. They said a car that age would need new radiator hoses and cooling system service as well as new belts. All of those were changed in the middle of November and the parts labels are were still on the hoses, and the writing is still on the back of the serpentine belt. I have all the receipts.

Then they said the front and rear main seals need to changed or the engine will be ruined. Funny. The car has never leaked a drop of oil on my clean garage floor. They came up with $4500 of "maintenance items" they said were needed. They told her the car was unsafe to drive and then had a salesman tell her she needed a new car and that her husband did not love her for making her drive a car in that condition. Then they charged her $112 for the inspection.

That dealer really really screwed the pooch and I let them know that I cannot buy a new Ford in Lafayette. I have driven mostly FoMoCo products since the first new one in 1976. I get they need to try to up sell a little, but to flat out lie and try to intimidate an old woman. What a slime ball outfit.

And to top it off, they did not put a new plastic splash shield under it, and that is what it was brought in for.
    Is this the new group that bought out Raisor?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    So i get an email today:

It kind of annoys me.
    Opinions?
    Several shops doing that these days. Just their CRM software. It's a cheap way for them to try and get return business.

Top Bottom