Chevy dealer service dept... come on man...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm not sure the return business offsets the lost business.
    Could be, but I'm guessing that the majority of folks going to dealers for service aren't taking it as enough of an issue to go elsewhere. I doubt many of us on this forum are regular customers to dealer service areas for big work. I don't think we're their typical customer.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Must be, I didn't even know it was no longer Raisor until I saw the receipt.
    Had a friend that bought a 1 year old Audi there and the purchase agreement included a full year of free standard service, oil change, filter, air filter and tire rotation. When they went to pick up their car they were handed a bill for $300 for an oil change, air filter and tire rotation. When they got out the sales agreement to prove it was free, they brought the salesman back and he claimed that 1 year was from the date the car was manufactured, not the day of sale.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I get the great pleasure of taking my work truck to skillman.

They will rotate the tires every so often. But never balance them. So you leave with the wheel shaking crazy. Last time I went I asked either do not rotate or charge more and balance them.

They gave me a funny look.

We go to another dealer sometimes... just happens skillman is closer to home on my days off.

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    My daughter bought a used SUV at a Buick dealership and took it back for its first oil change and to look it over after she bought it. She called me saying it needed front brakes really bad for the cost of $500 And if she didn’t have them fix it that day there was a $50 charge for the inspection. I told her I would be there in a couple of minutes because I was close by. I went in spoke to the service writer about the extortion charge of the inspection he said well my tech needs to be paid. So then I said she just bought this here 3500 miles ago and if the brakes were bad why didn’t they catch it then?
    The writer was getting mad at me then pawned me off on the manager after reasoning with him he went and pulled the inspection before she bought it to his surprise it said it needed front brakes and they were replaced also. The manager was mad and told the tech to bring the car back in and pull the front wheels off. I looked and it had new front brakes on it, after a talk with the tech the excuse they came up with was there was a mix up with another SUV that needed front brakes.
    As I was walking out I asked the service writer that was defending the tech and getting nasty with me for asking questions if he thought the tech still needed to get paid for fraud?

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    If it's certified pe-owned doesn't it come with some kind of warranty? Shouldn't they be doing the alignment free? Did they show you any tire wear that shows the need for an alignment?
    Yes, it has a full GM warranty in effect. Alignment is maintenance, so would not be covered; but NO there is no odd tire wear nor is there any sign of being out of balance.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Brand new GMC taken back to the dealer for its first oil change. When I got it home I popped the hood, oil fill cap sitting on the radiator and oil everywhere.
    Back to the dealer I go. Tried telling me it wasn't oil, it was the protective/ cleaner used on the plastic under the hood.
    2 free oil changes

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    My daughter bought a used SUV at a Buick dealership and took it back for its first oil change and to look it over after she bought it. She called me saying it needed front brakes really bad for the cost of $500 And if she didn’t have them fix it that day there was a $50 charge for the inspection. I told her I would be there in a couple of minutes because I was close by. I went in spoke to the service writer about the extortion charge of the inspection he said well my tech needs to be paid. So then I said she just bought this here 3500 miles ago and if the brakes were bad why didn’t they catch it then?
    The writer was getting mad at me then pawned me off on the manager after reasoning with him he went and pulled the inspection before she bought it to his surprise it said it needed front brakes and they were replaced also. The manager was mad and told the tech to bring the car back in and pull the front wheels off. I looked and it had new front brakes on it, after a talk with the tech the excuse they came up with was there was a mix up with another SUV that needed front brakes.
    As I was walking out I asked the service writer that was defending the tech and getting nasty with me for asking questions if he thought the tech still needed to get paid for fraud?
    Name the dealer, plz.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Could be, but I'm guessing that the majority of folks going to dealers for service aren't taking it as enough of an issue to go elsewhere. I doubt many of us on this forum are regular customers to dealer service areas for big work. I don't think we're their typical customer.
    THIS! INGO in general seems to think we are the norm. In this case, the majority of fellow drivers you see in the cities and burbs cannot even open the hood, probably similar in the rural areas. Kudos to those of us that can and or do our own work but sadly the concern about women being taken advantage of by service departments leaves out the fact that most men do not know how to change a tire.

Further because people most do not understand even the simplest of concepts of how a vehicle works service advisors are either frustrated trying to explain what is necessary or they just give up and tell them it all is critical.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yeah, dont get me started on Ray Skillman Kia east.
    for 70,000 miles or so I kept taking it to them for TPS errors. On long trips (>2 hours) it would error out but there were no low tires.

Each time I was told "its not throwing a code. There is nothing we can do."

The final time, I took it in for one more stab before the 100k warranty expired. I was told "Its not throwing a code so Im not sure we can do anything. But we will take a look"
    Then 10 mins later while I was waiting for my ride, they came and got me. "Sorry, electronics warranty expired 15k ago. But dont worry, We can start replacing some parts until we get to the bottom of it." So they wouldnt spend any money to fix it, but as soon as I was paying, they were VERY eager to get to the bottom of it.

I had some VERY choice words for her. Ending with "Give me my f***ing keys. I'm leaving."

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Cars sales are down right now. Other dealers I am speaking with are really hurting and with sales in the toilet, the dealerships are trying to keep their lights on through service. I am hearing of shop rates north of $200 to $300 an hour now.

They saying in the dealership business is service pays the bills, sales pays for the trips. Now service is needing to pay for both.
    Sheesh, I should have stayed in the GM tech game, I could be making $300 an hour sealing valve covers and replacing brake pads.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    The service reminders are most likely on the advice of a social media management company. Ours sends out LOF reminders and they want us to make recommended services so they can send out reminders for those. Most people like the LOF reminders because they don't keep track of oil changes, the service reminders not so much.

Top Bottom