• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I’d stay away from the 4 cylinder if you do get one. My wife had an 11 and had to have the fuel pump replaced twice under 40k miles and the engine never sounded good. Cold starts the lifters would always hammer until they got oil to them which lead me to believe that the engine would have premature failure. Our renter just had her engine go out in a Verano at 99k miles, the same 2.4 as the equinox.

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    We have had 3. '06 V-6 AWD, '12 4cyl AWD and now we have an '18 turbo diesel AWD. Bought the '06 new, the '12 used with 30,000 miles and the '18 was bought new.

The '12 we kept until it had 80,000 on it. The only problem we had with it was a fuel presure switch. Drove the '12 on a 2 week vacation to Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon and it performed like a champ. Averaged about 28 MPG on that trip.

The '18 we have now is getting around 35 mpg around town. The best I have got in it around town is 42.5 mpg.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Um...think about this sentence for a minute. :):

To clarify, there was a run of them with bad bearings that would leave a pile of metal in the pan. The ack'd the problem and replaced them for free with good ones. What's wrong with that?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    To clarify, there was a run of them with bad bearings that would leave a pile of metal in the pan. The ack'd the problem and replaced them for free with good ones. What's wrong with that?

I just kinda prefer automobiles that don't have to have their engines replaced. I'm funny that way. :):

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    I am asking because I really don't know, but, do you have to use DEF with this engine? If so where is the tank and input/inlet/fill?

Yes it needs DEF. The cap where the DEF filler neck is located, is right next to the cap for the diesel fuel.

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.
    Yes it needs DEF. The cap where the DEF filler neck is located, is right next to the cap for the diesel fuel.

Ok, thanks, I really didn't know. So... maybe the "gas door" is a little larger to accommodate the additional fill neck?

And what about regeneration? I have seen some terminal tractors and local very short haul tractors, that do not see longer run/higher temp exhaust, having trouble with regeneration, and causing problems with the system. Just curious if you have seen any of the same.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Had one with the 4 cylinder. At 62,000 the pistons and rings needed replaced. At 110,000 it was burning oil again, and at 116,000 the transmission started acting up.

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    Ok, thanks, I really didn't know. So... maybe the "gas door" is a little larger to accommodate the additional fill neck?

And what about regeneration? I have seen some terminal tractors and local very short haul tractors, that do not see longer run/higher temp exhaust, having trouble with regeneration, and causing problems with the system. Just curious if you have seen any of the same.

No, the "gas door" is the same size on all of them. Just like on all the full size trucks and the Colorado. The doors are all the same size.
    They make them the same size, they just add the extra fill spout for the diesel models.

No problem what so ever with the regeneration cycle.

Top Bottom