• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Thinking about getting a seven passenger vehicle so I can haul the grand children in their car seats.
    The Chevy Traverse looks pretty good to me.
    I'd be interested in reading comments and other suggestions.

Thanks

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I looked at it a few years ago....maybe 5 years ago. I liked it but ended up with a T&C. I would recommend trying the seats in the back and especially the ease of getting in and out. I know it's a 7 seater but it maybe a very tight 7 and difficult to get in and out.

I do love the looks - Good luck. (I owned a newer Equinox before the T&C - the Traverse is an Equinox on steroids)

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    The wife has a Traverse for the same reason, the grandkids and car seats. She loves it.

Colt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Dearborn County
    If the Traverse meets your needs you will probably be happy with it. I've generally had good luck with GM vehicles, Oldsmobiles and now Chevrolets. I like more interior volume than the even the largest SUVs offer. I still own my first minivan, a Chevy Venture. I bought it back when I needed 7 passenger seats. Now I am a retired empty nester and still like the large volume for travel, hunting and carting. Trailer towing ability is limited but I get by. I want to replace it with another, but Chevy hasn't made one for years. At some point I will have to break down and buy some other brand of minivan. I am a little PO'd at Chevy.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    ^^^ You best hurry; rumor is all the mini-vans are not going to be made in the near future. Phased out in the next couple of years.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Don't know what year you are looking at but here are my observations.
    My parents had a 2010 Traverse and it was a solid vehicle but I didn't like the looks(to mini van) and while it didn't do anything wrong I didn't care for driving it that much. We have been driving Equinox's for several years because of the better gas mileage and it has decent room for its size. We are retired and rarely haul any people but pack it down with shooting gear and other household items. The rear seat of the Equinox has been folded down since we bought it.
    The Traverse was completely redone in 2018. The new vehicle is MUCH better looking IMO and a very nice vehicle. We took another vehicle in for warranty work and they gave us a 2018 Traverse to drive for the 4 days they had our other vehicle.
    The Traverse impressed me so much that when our Equinox lease is up we are buying a 2019 Traverse. Tons of room and a great ride.
    The Traverse we drove for 4 days was a AWD(the AWD system is totally different on the new ones than the old ones). We averaged over 24 MPG while we were driving around for 4 days. The FWD ones are rated 27 highway and reports of even better online. Fantastic mileage for a vehicle this size.
    Go drive one and see if it fits your needs, everyone's wants and/or needs are different.
    The old ones were solid vehicles just not what I was wanting.
    :twocents:

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I have 3 words for you -

Su Bur Ban

Great vehicles but a Suburban is $20-$25k more than a Traverse with similar equipment.
    If you are not needing to tow anything big or haul lots of people AND gear then the lower price point and better MPG of the Traverse is a win.
    I have had several Suburbans but can't afford them anymore and I don't really need one anymore.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Great vehicles but a Suburban is $20-$25k more than a Traverse with similar equipment.
    If you are not needing to tow anything big or haul lots of people AND gear then the lower price point and better MPG of the Traverse is a win.
    I have had several Suburbans but can't afford them anymore and I don't really need one anymore.

What, 8 mpg not good enough for you? :dunno:

Colt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Dearborn County
    The biggest problem I have with the Su Bur Ban is that it is too small inside. The volume behind the front seat is about 122 cubic feet. Almost all minivans have at least 140 cubic feet behind the front seats.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Miss Christa bought a Cruze from American Chevrolet in Muncie. (I know, bear with me.)
    She drives it from the west side down to her job in Carmel everyday.
    She says the 39 mpg rating is a joke.
    She gets much better.
    And unfortunately, she drives like her Mama. Zoom!
    I've been hearing similar stories about other models, and wonder what a conservatively driven Traverse is capable of. Anyone think it'd get up to 30? The mind boggles.

Flyguyxii

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    Columbus
    My wife an I have had both a 09 suburban and now a 2015 Traverse. Let me start with the Suburban is more expensive but it has a lot more room and is more comfortable when fully loaded. The Traverse has a history of power steering issues at least up the current 2017/2018 body style. This coming from my dad who has been a auto mech for 30 plus years. They however are good vehicles. We love ours so far but haven't taken it on any long distance trips. Did I mention that we are a family of 5! The Suburban had room for all of us plus bags for a long weekend or a week at the grandparents. The Traverse we would need a luggage carrier or a trailer to haul the same amount of stuff. The Traverse does get better fuel mileage but not by a lot maybe 2mpg city and from what I seen on the interstate maybe 1-2 there as well. Just depends on how you drive.
    I am 5'10" and fit fine in the back seats as long as the second row is moved forward some. The buckets are get for getting the kids in and out of the back wouldn't even bother if it was a full bench. Overall it so far has been a good vehicle and doesn't have the rust issues like the 09 Suburban did.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The Traverse, Acadia, and Enclave generally always end up on those "worst used cars lists". Lots of transmission problems, apparently.

ETA: How many grandchildren? How many car seats? Are these infant carriers, 5-pt seats, or boosters? Or a combination?

What is your budget, OP? Do you somehow NEED AWD/4WD or is FWD sufficient?

Keep in mind that for the utility, a minivan is way way way way more practical than an SUV. And less expensive. And better fuel mileage.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    All I know is there are very few if any SUVs/wagons/crossovers/minivans/whatevertheyares that can carry a stack of 4x8 sheet goods laying flat in the back with the doors/gates closed....... if I had to.

All my Suburbans through the years could. Pull out the 3td row seat and fold down the 2nd row seats.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    In May of 2017, I acquired a 2014 Traverse with about 30K miles on for a reasonable price and a lifetime warranty on the drivetrain. It had been a 3-year lease for one owner in Michigan.

I spent years trying to determine the best vehicle for me with the requirements that I had to fit into and be able to enter and exit comfortably, reliable, and within my budget. I can't afford a pickup or a bigger SUV, so the Traverse emerged as the front runner. I found the right one on my first try when I reached the point where a new vehicle shifted from will need to soon to need now.

It has been the best vehicle I've driven long term. No mechanical issues, gets 20-22 mpg depending on my driving habits, drives nicely (especially compared to my old truck). I'm very happy with the purchase and when the need to replace arises, another used Traverse will be the leading candidate. It will easily accommodate a human-pachyderm hybrid driver in comfort.

I cannot address the use of the third row of seating, as I have never used it. Based on the layout, if the third row will be occupied by smaller, agile kids it should work nicely. Anyone larger or with mobility issues will be better served by the front two rows.

Top Bottom