• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    Without going into all of the details, I think that the BCM (body control module) is failing / malfunctioning on my '07 Silverado. Does anyone know if this has to be replaced by a dealer or can any mechanic replace and reprogram one ? I know it's a $200 part, +/- from what I've researched on line. I just don't know about the programming issue.

Any input from INGO ?

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    Not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure you will need programming for a bcm replacement because there is alot of VIN specific info in the software for certain features/options that are vehicle specific.. I wouldn't expect it to be cheap either the software license for GM scan tools and software is astronomical.. We have one at my workplace and it's over 3 times more than ford specific software... Sorry not trying to be a downer...

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That info is for a vehicle that was developed in the '90s and ceased production in 2002. The BCM in a 2007 very likely the master controller for the entire truck, IE if it doesn't have the right programming you'll get a no start condition in addition to very little else working.

Body Control Module : Electrical is likely more accurate for the OP's vehicle. TLDR is that the replacement involves programming the entire module based on the VIN for your vehicle. There is some indication that it can be programmed without the vehicle but nothing concrete.

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    That info is for a vehicle that was developed in the '90s and ceased production in 2002. The BCM in a 2007 very likely the master controller for the entire truck, IE if it doesn't have the right programming you'll get a no start condition in addition to very little else working.

Body Control Module : Electrical is likely more accurate for the OP's vehicle. TLDR is that the replacement involves programming the entire module based on the VIN for your vehicle. There is some indication that it can be programmed without the vehicle but nothing concrete.

That's why I added the YMMV! :D

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Make absolutely sure that the battery is in fact good (proper load test!) and that the battery terminals are clean (free of corrosion.) Check ground connections for corrosion and scrutinize the wiring at the module before buying a new one. I've seen many modules replaced over the years for wiring issues.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    Make absolutely sure that the battery is in fact good (proper load test!) and that the battery terminals are clean (free of corrosion.) Check ground connections for corrosion and scrutinize the wiring at the module before buying a new one. I've seen many modules replaced over the years for wiring issues.

Thanks. The battery is brand new, but I'll check the connections and the wiring at the BCM. The problems I'm having are intermttent, which makes my troubleshooting mind go to loose connection(s) somewhere.

This truck has had on again off again (no pun) electrical issues since I've had it. 2 failed HVAC control modules, CD player won't play CD's or eject them, sometimes the radio is off when you start it up even though it was on when you shut it off, when that happens the backup alarm is disabled, driver's side door has no power when the door is open, or sometimes when the door is shut, and on and on......

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    I help repair/maintain a large fleet of GM and ford vehicles and I will say by far the electronics of GM seem to be inferior to ford products , much more sensor and module failure but seems as though GM hit a homerun outta the park with the LS series engines . If general motors built or had built everything as well as LS engines they would be by far the best products out there... But their control systems fall far from what most consider acceptable...

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    Need more specific info as far as if hvac what is the specific problem.???? No heat/no cool or erratic operation???? What specifically is happening ????

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    Bcm must be programmed before it will work, truck won't start if you simply put it in. They are bricks when you buy them, nothing installed until you install it. Depending where you're located, I may be able to help

rockola1971

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    Over Here
    You can get a used BCM off ebay. It just has to match the same part number as the one currently in your vehicle. The dealer has to program it for you which typical is 1 hr labor charge. (Roughly $90). The truck will start and then almost immediately die with a non original (unprogrammed to your vehicle) BCM installed. As other have said it is VIN specifically programmed and this is because of all of the various optional equipment that could be installed(Factory) and the antitheft is also programmed in there as well.

Heads up though, a very common problem on the GM truck and suv chassis is the ground on the rear top edge of the engine block) gets corroded and/or loose and causes all kinds of havoc on BCM related equipment, just like you are experiencing. I would go there FIRST but it is not at all uncommon for a GM BCM to throwup and cause its own havoc. Let us know what took care of it! ;)

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    Need more specific info as far as if hvac what is the specific problem.???? No heat/no cool or erratic operation???? What specifically is happening ????

The HVAC control module will just lock up. Can't change temp, fan, turn it off or anything. When you shut the truck off, the fan keeps running until you turn the key on then off again. This happens at least 2-3 times a week and seems to happen more when cooling vs. heating.

You can get a used BCM off ebay. It just has to match the same part number as the one currently in your vehicle. The dealer has to program it for you which typical is 1 hr labor charge. (Roughly $90). The truck will start and then almost immediately die with a non original (unprogrammed to your vehicle) BCM installed. As other have said it is VIN specifically programmed and this is because of all of the various optional equipment that could be installed(Factory) and the antitheft is also programmed in there as well.

Heads up though, a very common problem on the GM truck and suv chassis is the ground on the rear top edge of the engine block) gets corroded and/or loose and causes all kinds of havoc on BCM related equipment, just like you are experiencing. I would go there FIRST but it is not at all uncommon for a GM BCM to throwup and cause its own havoc. Let us know what took care of it! ;)

Thanks. Good info.

And :welcome: to :ingo:

madeuce50

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Lafayette,In.
    Absolutely correct. If you have a good digital V.O.M. (volt ohm meter) check for voltage drop from battery cables. Ground issues cause all kinds of issues. A quick check is to turn on headlight and start. Do the headlights go dim? If so you may have found your issue.

Top Bottom