• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SockMonkey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    We have an '82 Chevy 1500. Lately I have been having a lot of trouble getting the key to turn in the ignition. Hammerhead has better luck than I do, but even he has trouble sometimes. Any suggestions? Thanks!

moosebag

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Mine did the same thing. Tried WD-40 a few times and it was OK for a while then started up again. Finally it locked up in the ON postilion and I couldn't shut off the truck. Had to pull the ECR fuse to stop the engine. Ended up having a new ignition switch installed $60.00. You better change it soon!

Last edited:

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    There could be a couple of issues. The most likely issue is a known problem with GM ignitions of that vintage. The retainer that holds the wafers (some may call them tumblers, but that is not the correct terminology) begins to come loose. These retainers are staked in place by a machine, and it does a marginal job at best. If this is the problem the ignition cylinder will soon jam permanently. The remedy for this issue is to pull the steering wheel, remove the ignition cylinder, and re-stake the retainer, or replace the cylinder.

The second issue could be wear, either of the keys, the cylinder or both. Duplicate keys are never the same as originals, and brass keys, and brass wafers wear out over time. This would not be unusual in a 30 year vehicle. The remedy in this case would be to replace the cylinder.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There could be a couple of issues. The most likely issue is a known problem with GM ignitions of that vintage. The retainer that holds the wafers (some may call them tumblers, but that is not the correct terminology) begins to come loose. These retainers are staked in place by a machine, and it does a marginal job at best. If this is the problem the ignition cylinder will soon jam permanently. The remedy for this issue is to pull the steering wheel, remove the ignition cylinder, and re-stake the retainer, or replace the cylinder.

The second issue could be wear, either of the keys, the cylinder or both. Duplicate keys are never the same as originals, and brass keys, and brass wafers wear out over time. This would not be unusual in a 30 year vehicle. The remedy in this case would be to replace the cylinder.

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^

Normal wear and tear on a vintage truck.

moosebag

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Mine did the same thing. Tried WD-40 a few times and it was OK for a while then started up again. Finally it locked up in the ON postilion and I couldn't shut off the truck. Had to pull the ECR fuse to stop the engine. Ended up having a new ignition switch installed $60.00. You better change it soon!

:dunno::dunno::dunno: :lol2::lol2::lol2: What I said.......

bigworm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 16, 2009
    hobart
    you could try some graphite spray dont spray wd40 in there but otherwise an ignition is only like ten dollars and not to hard to replace unless you have a chip in the key

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    you could try some graphite spray dont spray wd40 in there but otherwise an ignition is only like ten dollars and not to hard to replace unless you have a chip in the key

Graphite is THE WORST THING YOU CAN PUT INTO ANY LOCK! Graphite clumps together, and when it gets damp it turns to sludge, and then dries like cement. WD40 is acceptable. There are many dry lubricants that are available now that are much better.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    First try getting a new key. Had a similiar issue on my motorcycle. The new key was so much smoother to use, as the old one had worn down some.

If that doesnt work, just replace the ignition, they arent too costly, and could prevent bigger issues later on.

SockMonkey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Ok, new problem. Loud rattling in front end driver's side, stops when we press on the brakes. Took it to Midas for diagnosis, was told it was the Idler & Pitman arms. Replaced Idler arm, play in wheels is gone, noise remains. Suggestions please, besides never take it to Midas again? The also had told us they would have to drop the gear box to replace the arms, which was a lie.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Midas is the absolute worst place to take anything. Sounds like an issue with the caliper or loose pads. Lift the wheel with a jack (safely) and give it a spin. Is there any clunking or metallic sounds??? Grab the top of the wheel and push in towards the motor and pull back rapidly. Is there any play in the bearings. If nothing found in these checks it sounds like loose brake pads. Get that looked into. Soon.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Just to update the original problem, I had to replace the lock cylinder.

And I only take a vehicle to Midas as a last resort to have them inspect or diagnose. Probably going to avoid that in the future.

Top Bottom