• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Chiappa Rhino?

Anyone own one or shot one?

I've seen it in various handgun magazines without it really catching my eye, but in looking at the 4" model and reading a review of shot show media day shoot with competition triggers, I'm very, very interested.

Chiappa Rhino Review » Guns Holsters and Gear
    Post note on that....I make no claims nor judgments about the quality of that reviewer, I just like the things he says considering he was one calling the rhino gimmicky junk before he shot it.

Any personal opinions?

Chiappa_Rhino_04.jpg

Feel free to link me to the thread if a good one is about, but I didn't see anything via search

Last edited:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I've seen em in the magazines but don't know if I'd ever be interested in one. That thing is FUGLY!!! :noway:

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    POC (crap). JMO. Solution in search of a problem.

I imagine people said that about repeating rifles. Lets not be afraid of innovation :)

But yeah, it may suck inthe end, but at least they tried.

By all reports they work well, I'm more interested in longevity and durability with the complex innards.

So....who's shot one?

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Yeah, they're ugly, but IMO a set of custom grips could fix most of the ugly, they need to be wider (front to back) at the bottom, more like a traditional grip and I think the whole gun would look better.

I haven't shot one, but the newest American Rifleman had an article on them if I remember right... As well as cover story on the Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle...

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I like how the short ones look, the longer the barrel the progressively more ugly it gets! I'd like to hear some reviews as well!

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    I haven't shot one, nor do I know anything about long term reliability. But I'm very curious about the 2" version.

The cylinder is narrower than a conventional revolver, which should make it a more discrete carry gun. It shoots from the bottom of the cylinder rather than the top, putting recoil lower into the shooter's hand. That could be a nice thing compared to the kick of the normal larger caliber snub nose. If your hand is large enough the ergonomics seem to be good. The barrel is right where your index finger points, so it should point well.

As far as appearance goes, I like it, in that "so ugly it's beautiful" sense. Lots of folks like Glocks, which I find so ugly they're ugly. (Not trying to start anything guys, just saying...) In the end, it's all just a matter of taste.

I want one, not enough to hunt one down and buy it today, but eventually I'll probably have one.

BBSparkle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I don't think they're ugly at all. Outside of the apparent complexity of it's innards [as one stated above] I think it's a cool innovation. Dat delicious bore axis.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Poor man's Manteba but without the slide action. I do think the 5" version has an interesting look in a cyberpunk kinda way.

The problem I am seeing is price. For that price, I could do a very nice S&W so why bother?

J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    I like the longer barrel versions better from what I have seen in pictures. I have seen a short one in person but didn't handle it. Suppose to have a greatly reduced recoil. There was a write up in American Rifleman this month but I did not get the chance since some POS at work stole it before I was able to read it.

Ridgeway

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    Poor man's Manteba but without the slide action. I do think the 5" version has an interesting look in a cyberpunk kinda way.

I agree. But the Mateba's I've seen, at least recently posted for sale have had astronomical prices attached to them.
    The Rhino price does seem a hundred (or couple hundred) on the high side. But the gun does have some interesting innovation.
    Even if someone thinks its ugly, I don't know how the innovative aspect can be ignored. Will it catch on &/or is it a tangible improvement? Time will tell. But I wonder what people said when top-break revolvers were phased out.

I'll be picking one up eventually (I'd like a 5"). & I happen to like the look (though not as much as a Mateba), just b/c of how different it is. It's very eclectic.

abrewer15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Elkhart, Indiana
    I read about them in this month's edition of American Rifleman. Personally I think that they are absolutely ugly and I don't get how anyone would think that they are cosmetically appealing. However, looks aside I would definitely give it a shot. If you are not an NRA member or you are and don't receive the American Rifleman magazine here is their review:

Chiappa Rhino Revolver Review

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'd like to see Jerry Miculek shoot one to see if the reduced recoil would shave any time off his efforts. I'd like to see a machine-rest test group to see just how accurate it is. I wouldn't shell out so much for a revolver unless there was proof that it was much better than the current crop.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    If you are not an NRA member (which personally should be required to join the forums) or you are and don't receive the American Rifleman magazine here is their review:

Chiappa Rhino Revolver Review

OK! EVERYONE JUST PRETEND THAT WAS NEVER POSTED HERE! Man oh man, you have GOT to watch what you post here! Now a whole new can of whoop ass is gonna be unleashed! May the great Thor smite thee with his hammer!

Back to the thread at hand. My bro-n-law thinks the Rhino is the cat's meow. Me, I think they are butt-ugly. He has talked to quite a few rep's and dealers and is told it will probably be 6 months or longer before you see one sitting on a shelf somewhere. The ones they do get will be spoken for in one way or another. I guess you could ORDER one.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    There's a healthy number available on gunbroker, but yeah haven't seen any at gunshows yet.

The problem I am seeing is price. For that price, I could do a very nice S&W so why bother?
    I had to look up what a Mateba was, but cool....and running about 3500 dollars now.

Agreed on the price though. i could maybe talk myself into 500, but 800 is a little steep for an unproven six shooter.

There was a pretty detailed thread a while back. I've had mine about 6 months without any issues other than ammo. I posted a couple photos of the pocket holster I put toghter as well. https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/122257-chiappa_rhino_best_revolver_made-3.html

Nice looking holster, and thanks for the thread.
    Needed first hand reports.

So everyone who posted in this thread, we're meeting at Dave's house tomorrow to run a train on his rhino. See you there! :D

Top Bottom