• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Here are the charges. Does not seem like much, maybe if he has priors?

A man who was hospitalized after being slammed to the ground by police Thursday in Chatham after he allegedly spit on an officer while being detained for drinking alcohol in public has been charged.
    Bernard Kersh, 29, faces a felony count of aggravated battery of a peace officer, misdemeanor counts of assault and resisting arrest, as well as a count of drinking alcohol in public, Chicago police announced Saturday.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Guess I will have to Denny the thread by being the one to say, I will reserve full judgement until the facts are established. Video does not show the context of what led up to this, but it did show the cop stepping up behind a guy facing a vehicle (ie, facing the other direction), and body-slamming his head into a curb - then, immediately turning his back on the suspect, and making no effort to cuff him. Those last two points do not look consistent with an effort to get the person in custody, and looks more like a simple lapse in judgement. Resisting suspects should expect to be treated roughly. But in cases where cops get pissed off and have a lapse in judgement, I suspect what constitutes a reasonable attempt to get someone into custody will depend on what options the officer had, what the department's policies are, and just plain old reasonable man judgement.

He is probably very, very lucky the guy woke up from that. As it is, he's just on administrative leave, and the higher-ups are saying his actions look "disturbing." If the perp had not woke up - the cop would be sweating bullets.

Of course the body camera was off...

(Damn cellphones)

Last edited:

SOUP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Noblesville
    I have a similar video, but only more local. The dude didn't get knocked out, but it was a very similar take down by one of the biggest IMPD officers I know. The guy had it coming though, he tried to flee the scene. stay safe dudes!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Guess I will have to Denny the thread by being the one to say, I will reserve full judgement until the facts are established. Video does not show the context of what led up to this, but it did show the cop stepping up behind a guy facing a vehicle (ie, facing the other direction), and body-slamming his head into a curb - then, immediately turning his back on the suspect, and making no effort to cuff him. Those last two points do not look consistent with an effort to get the person in custody, and looks more like a simple lapse in judgement. Resisting suspects should expect to be treated roughly. But in cases where cops get pissed off and have a lapse in judgement, I suspect what constitutes a reasonable attempt to get someone into custody will depend on what options the officer had, what the department's policies are, and just plain old reasonable man judgement.

He is probably very, very lucky the guy woke up from that. As it is, he's just on administrative leave, and the higher-ups are saying his actions look "disturbing." If the perp had not woke up - the cop would be sweating bullets.

Of course the body camera was off...

(Damn cellphones)

I actually thought this too.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Well, I hope the officer enjoys a warm vacation on desk duty, then gets cleared for duty. The dirtbag perp asked for it. Being as it's the most corrupt city in the midwest... who knows.

soupergenius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Police are supposed to be trained to put up with this type of BS. Killing someone for spitting is just a bit of an over reaction. One of the reasons cops deserve respect is they put up with the BS of drunk idiots. If we take that away than any thug bouncer can be a cop. we don't want that do we?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Police are supposed to be trained to put up with this type of BS. Killing someone for spitting is just a bit of an over reaction. One of the reasons cops deserve respect is they put up with the BS of drunk idiots. If we take that away than any thug bouncer can be a cop. we don't want that do we?

I agree with this, mostly. And if someone spit on me, I probably would have still kept it professional... but spitting in my mouth? Fire me now bro, 'cause I'm about to whup that guys ass.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Jessie Jackson was quoted as saying “no one deserves this kind of treatment” at the end of the video... wanna bet? I can think of LOTS of people who deserve this kind of treatment (or worse) regardless of skin color (although Jesse seems only to come out when the “victim” is Black...).

Top Bottom