Chicago Cop gets 2 years probation??? WTF?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JNT0421

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    Crown Point
    Beaten Bartender Says She Fears Retaliation

Karolina Obrycka Also Disappointed That Chicago Police Officer Anthony Abbate Never Apologized

The bartender who was brutally beaten by Chicago Police Officer Anthony abate now says she's afraid of retaliation by police.

On Tuesday, Cook County Criminal Court Judge John Fleming sentenced Abbate to two years probation and anger management classes. He also imposed a home curfew from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. and ordered Abbate to perform 130 hours of community service.

The bartender, Karolina Obrycka, had refused to serve Abbate any more drinks, when he came behind the bar and started brutally beating her as she lay helpless on the floor. Obrycka weighs 125 pounds, while Abbate weighs 250.

The attack was captured on the bar's video surveillance system, and the video was seen around the world.

ABN82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Tough guy beating up on a woman! He should have at least been sentenced to a week in a cell with no less then (3) 6' 4" 300lb aggressive homosexuals!

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Quote from the article:
    "He's not a bad man, he did something bad," Hickey said.

Translation: "Oh, ma babay. He neva done nuthin wrong. Dey jus want to arrest him cause he a cop"

Anyone ever hear THAT excuse before?:rolleyes:
    (Of course you have to change some demographics and supporting organizations, and chances of retaliation to the victim)

:coffee:

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    the guy just standing there watching should get some time as well

He wasn't just standing there, he was providing backup just in case that little lady got up and defended herself:xmad:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    It would be interesting to see some research comparing the behavior of law enforcement officers in jurisdictions with vs. without "gun control". I'm guessing there would be a correlation.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Badge revoked, jail time, felony counts of attempted murder, and assault with deadly weapons.

Not in CHICAGO! Dream on. Also there as another article in the Chicago RedEye (local Chicago paer wth the following.

A chicago police officer avoided jail time Tuesday for pummeling a woman who was tending bar, eve though prosecutors prduced a previously unseen video showing him (the cop) beating someone else a the bar hours earlier.

Nice hu?

tskin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    West Central Indiana
    It would be interesting to see some research comparing the behavior of law enforcement officers in jurisdictions with vs. without "gun control". I'm guessing there would be a correlation.

That's a good point. If something like that happened in Indiana, would you be justified in shooting him to keep him from harming her more? I'd think so - as you'd be stopping a "forcible felony." (Is that the term I'm looking for?)

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    That's a good point. If something like that happened in Indiana, would you be justified in shooting him to keep him from harming her more? I'd think so - as you'd be stopping a "forcible felony." (Is that the term I'm looking for?)

yup, sure looks like it.

IC 35-41-3-2
    Use of force to protect person or property
    Sec. 2. (a) A person is justified in using reasonable force against another person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person:
    (1) is justified in using deadly force; and
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;
    if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.

I'd say that a 250lbs man beating on a 125lbs woman, striking her multiple times in the head, would create a reasonable belief that a serious bodily injury is about to happen. Simple battery is only a misdemeanor, but there's certainly a reasonable argument that this is aggravated battery, which is a Class B felony under IN law.
    To that point, he was convicted of felony aggravated battery under IL law, so it seems pretty clearcut that one would be justified. That said, when it comes to cops, even drunken a**hole ones like this guy beating on a woman, I don't have much faith in the system that the law would be applied and I'd expect to be charged with something for stopping him.

The only reason this guy was even charged is because there is video. Even with it, he got off pretty light. If it weren't for that camera, I'd bet dollars to donuts that the girl would've been charged for assaulting him.

Top Bottom