• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I just got back from a trip to M'ville. Close enough to Chicago that I could tell the influence. "Hoosier Hospitality" was dead. The friendliness Im familiar with downstate was gone. I did not enjoy it. At all.

Chicago peeps are upleasant in general, and it bleeds across the border to influence our citizens.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    My brother-in-law grew up in Chicago and instructed me in the proper Chicago driving etiquette. It's complicated. I think I don't understand it all that well. But as much as I can tell, everyone expects everyone to be a dick. So, drive like you're a dick, and expect everyone else to be a dick, and that's how it works. At least I assume it works. We made it to our destination in one piece and no dents, so...
    So it is a self-fulfilling prophecy

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You try making any $ in a 65mph governed truck. Then call me back:rolleyes:.

Drive a semi through Chicago in rush hour. See how YOU like it.

And that makes it OK to inconvenience other drivers and prevent them from doing what they are legally allowed to do? (drive the speed limit) :rolleyes: I bet you are the type of person that drags a loaded cart into a "20 items or less" checkout because they arent allowed to turn you away.:):

The right to swing your fist stops at the tip of my nose; when you drive slower than the limit in the passing lane you are preventing 4 wheelers from driving as fast as they are allowed. Thats not cool. Dont like it? Drive for a different carrier that doesnt run governors; Dont drive 5 under and hold up traffic in the fast lane, which is illegal now. (or suck it up buttercup and fall in line in the right lane) Its not our fault your truck cant do the speed limit.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    And that makes it OK to inconvenience other drivers and prevent them from doing what they are legally allowed to do? (drive the speed limit) :rolleyes: I bet you are the type of person that drags a loaded cart into a "20 items or less" checkout because they arent allowed to turn you away.:):

The right to swing your fist stops at the tip of my nose; when you drive slower than the limit in the passing lane you are preventing 4 wheelers from driving as fast as they are allowed. Thats not cool. Dont like it? Drive for a different carrier that doesnt run governors; Dont drive 5 under and hold up traffic in the fast lane, which is illegal now. (or suck it up buttercup and fall in line in the right lane) Its not our fault your truck cant do the speed limit.

Not my fault your car goes so fast either. I stay outta the way when its feasible. You all gotta spend some time "sucking it up " too. Sometimes I need to pass and it takes time. Get over it. Stop being so selfish and "me firstish". And wave all your fingers at me. Your attitude is why truckers don't care when you're inconvenienced. You wanna be there faster? Leave sooner. I'm the nicest guy you'll ever meet. In the grocery, or on the road. But you need to grow up and understand both sides of the story.

So suck it up, buttercup.:):

I don't get how my inconvenience is less important than yours.

And while we're griping, when my left signal comes on because I have a need to change lanes and you've left an opening large enough for me to enter, let me out. That signal means I'm moving. It's not an indication to stomp the gas. That makes your headlights rise up and when I see that, you're GONNA find the brake pedal. Be considerate of me too. I do this all day every day. I'm good at it and really very considerate of others. Especially if they take the time to be considerate of me. Notice how that works. It's a vicious cycle. More consideration and less selfishness breeds consideration and unselfishness. Take the frustration that you get in your small time on the road and figure I have that same frustration on average, about 60 hours a week. It's truly a credit to truckers that they (we) don't squash a whole lotta people on purpose. Daily.

Be nice. I try to.

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Nope....I will pass on both of these.......:)

I spent my fair share of time in the windy for work.
    I will never ever drive through there again.

Good choices on both counts, Boss. I've tried all the legal routes through town during the rush, (read that, daylight) And the best way from Milwaukee to Indy still takes you I45 to I39 to I74.:):

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I have never seen so many total a**holes in one afternoon in any of those places.
    You should try it with a truck & trailer... I was up there in June picking up a new-to-me safe (real-deal bank safe) from a company I've dealt with before. Truck, trailer, forklift, and a crap-load of idiotic, inconsiderate drivers made for a lot of nerve-racking driving. We had intended to get there well before morning rush hour but a 15 minute late-start, a bad semi-accident, and slightly heavier than expected traffic put us on 294 right in the heart of rush-hour...
    My brother-in-law grew up in Chicago and instructed me in the proper Chicago driving etiquette. It's complicated. I think I don't understand it all that well. But as much as I can tell, everyone expects everyone to be a dick. So, drive like you're a dick, and expect everyone else to be a dick, and that's how it works. At least I assume it works. We made it to our destination in one piece and no dents, so...
    This ^^^
    According to my BIL, if you leave a car length between you and the car in front of you, you're effectively giving cars in other lanes permission to take that space.
    And this ^^^

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    After driving into downtown Chicago for 12 years it is all normal to me.

The thing that amazes me about the drivers in Chicago is their propensity for waiting until the last possible moment to move over. When the road splits there will always be a percentage of the drivers that won't move over until just before they would hit the concrete barrier that splits the road.

For the rest of it, a lot of the drivers are going to be driving what most people would call aggressively. If you are going to drive slowly and defensively, you are better off just getting into one of the left two lanes and staying there until you have to exit.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    You all gotta spend some time "sucking it up " too. Sometimes I need to pass and it takes time. Get over it.
    Are you implying that other should "suck it up" because you have to? It's not "other's" fault that you're driving a truck governed at .001 mph faster than another governed truck. If you can pass in a timely manner, by all means, do so. But if you cannot pass in a timely manner, IE it's going to take miles for you to pass then you aren't gaining much in your own convenience/timing by inconveniencing numerous other drivers behind you.

Your attitude is why truckers don't care when you're inconvenienced.
    How does a trucker know the attitude of every driver he is inconveniencing prior to doing so? Just as truckers are allowed to be soured by the few bad apple 4-wheelers, the 4-wheelers are allowed to be soured by the few bad-apple truckers.

You wanna be there faster? Leave sooner.
    Same could be said for you. You want to pass that truck at .001 mph faster than him so you can get there 5 seconds sooner than he does, leave 5 seconds sooner.

I'm the nicest guy you'll ever meet. In the grocery, or on the road. But you need to grow up and understand both sides of the story.
    Your posts don't reflect that... btw, I know both sides of the story (within reason), because my dad owns/operates a commercial trucking company. He sees all sorts of inconsiderate drivers. But he also refuses to govern his trucks because he knows that for his driver's to be considerate of others there are times they will need to be able to pass other's in a timely manner, and they will need to exceed the limit by a bit to do it.

I don't get how my inconvenience is less important than yours.
    I think there are numerous ways to try to compare the levels of inconvenience. I think the most fair way is to weigh your lost time by waiting to pass vs the lost time of the drivers you're inconveniencing. That comparison rarely favors that of the trucker unless he is able to get out there and get around in a timely manner.

And while we're griping, when my left signal comes on because I have a need to change lanes and you've left an opening large enough for me to enter, let me out. That signal means I'm moving. It's not an indication to stomp the gas. That makes your headlights rise up and when I see that, you're GONNA find the brake pedal.
    If your lane-change causes a traffic impedance it's an unsafe lane-change. Making the predetermined decision to do so is EXACTLY what I was referencing above in regards to your posts not reflecting you being such a nice guy.

Be considerate of me too. I do this all day every day. I'm good at it and really very considerate of others. Especially if they take the time to be considerate of me.
    Just as you've alluded to it goes both ways. Many times I've seen trucks kick off the cruise and wait for a sizeable gap if they can't pass quickly. All too many times I've seen trucks squeeze out into a space they can't fit into, then take 10 miles to complete their pass. They've put themselves above every driver behind them without even knowing if those drivers were respectful, courteous drivers or not. What you're preaching isn't practiced by truckers very often.

My favorite is the trucks that take a gap before they're ready/able to pass because they know a line of traffic will be there by the time they need to pass. If I can move to the right lane, pass you, and still have room to get back in the left lane BEFORE the vehicle you're passing, you're being an a**. It's one of the best examples of "me firstest" demonstrated by truckers; not willing to slow down to let a line of vehicles pass, instead, they preemptively move into the passing lane to block those vehicles out before he gets blocked out.

Notice how that works. It's a vicious cycle. More consideration and less selfishness breeds consideration and unselfishness.
    That is a double-edge sword and there is a LOT more selfishness demonstrated by truckers than 4-wheelers (I acknowledge that both sides have their bad-apples) and being on the road 60 hrs a week is not a justification for it. Every driver, whether they spend 1 minute on the road, or weeks on the road, deserves courtesy and respect.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Yes, yes. Drivers is penises. And yes, yes. Four wheelers is penises. We get it. I honestly didn't think Chicagoans drove all that terribly, by and large. Minus, of course, the typical dueschebags in Priuses. Fortunately, the locals hate them as much or more than I do. I had to laugh at one bottleneck. D'bag darted out past SUV to ride the apron for 100 yards and gain prolly 45 seconds. He got stopped, and it was all SUV's passenger could do to keep him from getting out and whooping arse. I had to laugh.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So . . . I had the misfortune (actually legendary bad decision making) of driving through Chicago on I-90 in the early afternoon on Friday. I was expecting heavy traffic, but I didn't expect a complete disregard for turn signals of such frequency of cutting people off with inches to spare, apparently out of spite given the finger displays.

I've driven a lot in the San Francisco Bay Area, the South Bay, Los Angeles and Orange County, Atlanta, and a few other metro areas. I have never seen so many total a**holes in one afternoon in any of those places.

Also, why do packs of cars in northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin move along at a steady 80 mph, then suddenly all jam on their brakes for no apparent reason . . . over . . . and over . . . and over . . . and over . . . and over. Why???

Centipede effect.
    An accident happens. People slow/stop.
    Normally, over time the problem clears because people adjust.
    But in Chicago there is no "adjusting". Cars are too close.
    So they're stuck in the centipede effect.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I avoid Chicago at all costs my truck is governed at 94 mph if you have ever drove anything at 80,000 lbs at that speed it gets funky.
    I do not pull out to pass until it's clear I attempt to avoid road rage. I avoid large cites and drive at night I am paid by the load and not per mile. I am just as frustrated at the 65 mph drag race as you are. You will never make money in Trucking working for anyone as an Owner Operator I make a good living and it's a great second career.
    That being said I have numerous cars try to pass me on the right as I close on a slow truck. Beware I am governed at 94mph you will not pass on the right if I see you in time. I have no pity on you play chicken with me if you dare!

Atlanta is worse than Chicago

Last edited:
    Top Bottom