• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    My nephew called me today. He has been wanting to legally carry for some time. He lives in Chicago. He went to change his oil today, and while he was there, a guy came in with a gun yelling a threatening. Apparently he had drugs in his car when he went to get his oil changed, and when he left, the drugs were gone. Can't trust anyone these days. No shots were fired, but my nephew was only about 6 feet from the guy with a gun. He is a little shaken up, but he is ok. He called asking if I had a gun I could sell him. I would prefer not to sell him a handgun, and we talked for a while about legal issues and the extreme responsibility one has when he carries. My question is, to be legal, after he completes all his classes required by "The Peoples Republic of Illinois", will he have to purchase a handgun in Illinois, or could he purchase it elsewhere, and take it back to Illinois?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Your inquiry is not about Chicago, but about the GCA1968.

State lines=FFL

He has been wanting to legally carry for some time. He lives in Chicago.

He needs to get an Illinois license(s). (FOID and ILCCL)

It is a 2 or 1 day class for the ILCCL depending if he has a DD214.

Start him out here for the ILCCL: https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/CCL.aspx

He called asking if I had a gun I could sell him.

FFL

My question is, to be legal, after he completes all his classes required by "The Peoples Republic of Illinois", will he have to purchase a handgun in Illinois, or could he purchase it elsewhere, and take it back to Illinois?

Is he 21? If so, he can purchase it in Illinois or he can purchase from Indiana, as long as an FFL is involved on the Illinois end.

Last edited:

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Your inquiry is not about Chicago, but about the GCA1968.

State lines=FFL

He needs to get an Illinois license.

It is a 2 or 1 day class depending if he has a DD214.

He was told 6 to 8 weeks. Maybe that is to get the DD214. Not sure.

FFL

Is he 21? If so, he can purchase it in Illinois or he can purchase from Indiana, as long as an FFL is involved on the Illinois end.

He is 36. This is what I thought. I was telling him about gunbroker and finding an FFL on his side. He has lived in Chicago for 8 years, and says he has never seen a LGS. I googled several. This helps. Thanks Kirk.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    He is 36. This is what I thought. I was telling him about gunbroker and finding an FFL on his side. He has lived in Chicago for 8 years, and says he has never seen a LGS. I googled several. This helps. Thanks Kirk.

I got my JD in Chicago. I still have strong ties to Chicago and go there frequently.

What side of Chicago does he live? I can give you a store or two.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I got my JD in Chicago. I still have strong ties to Chicago and go there frequently.

What side of Chicago does he live? I can give you a store or two.

Not sure. I just sent him a text. He always comes down here. My wife loves Chicago...until I can carry, not so sure I want to go back...it's been 8 to 10 years for me.

Does he have an exit strategy from IL?

LOL...not that I'm aware of.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    West side. Ukrainian Village.

Ah, a trendy fellow. That neighborhood is red hot now.

1. Suburban Sporting Goods in Melrose Park.

2. Union Arms in Berwyn.

My pick is to slide up to Des Plaines and go to Maxon Shooter Supply. One of my favorite gun stores in Illinois and where I spotted "Captain Tactical" for the first time.:D

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    Another x-chicagoian here.
    I'm not sure it's still there, but there's a gun shop on Devon Ave, just west of McCormick: Shore Galleries, 3318 W Devon, Liccolnwood, il.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Just remember, state lines in the fact pattern=FFL.

Your nephew can go shooting with you in Indiana, and you can visit and go shooting with him.

However, if you want to transfer one of your guns, or a gun you find at a gun show, you need an FFL.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Just remember, state lines in the fact pattern=FFL.

Your nephew can go shooting with you in Indiana, and you can visit and go shooting with him.

However, if you want to transfer one of your guns, or a gun you find at a gun show, you need an FFL.

Okay. Thanks. He has shot with me, and his dad here, but not sure where I would shoot there, and not sure about the laws with non-residents and firearms in Illinois. The last time I drove to Texas, I went the long way so I would not be in Illinois at all.

Can you carry in Illinois? I have an Indiana license and a Utah non-resident permit, and know I can't.

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    What i wanna know is: howd that dude w/the gun get his permit? Especially with him dealin with drugs. Arent there laws against that kinda stuff?!

Top Bottom