• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I haven't been there since they moved the sub into the basement.
    But, I'm pretty sure there's an exit at Hyde Park, and from there it's only a block to walk.
    You'd have to check the South Shore site to be sure.

I did see the updated model railroad.

And yes, I've been on that sub a few dozen times.
    And yes, I think they had more balls than me.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I haven't been since I passed in review from boot camp at Great Lakes, but I recall that it was pretty cool, especially the U-505, the WWII-era German sub.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    We were just up there 3 weeks ago. First time going. Well worth it. Didn't do the sub as it was sold out by the time we got there, plus with kids, it wasn't worth it. But HOLY COW!!! THE SUB IS AWESOME!!!! As is the rest of the museum. We spent more time in the science lab area and got our money's worth there. Tesla coil, magnetic oil, launching hot air balloons. Very fun time was had by all. And we have a membership to our local Children's museum, so our whole family, plus one of our two friends got in free. Only had to pay for one ticket, parking ($22), and lunch (which let me tell you...that ain't cheap). Pack a lunch and you'll be good to go!

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    If you want to do the sub, get it scheduled ahead of time. One of my kids wasn't feeling great the night before, so I didn't pre-purchase tickets. When they were good the next morning, the sub was sold out.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I visited the sub a few months ago, was definitely worth the visit. Would do it again. I spent about 3 hours with just the sub. The actual tour is not that long, but I read every exhibit on the way in (the hallway to the sub itself features several stops with films that tell the story of its capture), all the exhibits around the sub, and looked up more stuff on my phone. I even read everything on how they constructed the current exhibit, the building that contains the sub. By all means go see it. I was there during the week and there was no line, only wait was for enough people to show to start the tour. If you are hard of hearing like I am try to stay in the front, it's close quarters and single file in the sub and was hard for me to hear the guide, but I didn't care, I had a good time just looking at all the stuff and reading the labels on everything (in German, of course).

They offer military discounts, and I think firefighter, EMS, and cop discounts as well. I Uber'd to the museum from my hotel, we were at the Wyndham on Wacker, right across from the Trump building -- sounds like that was cheaper than parking. (Uber driver got lost on the return, one-star for him!).

Sounds like you already decided to go, but if not -- well worth it in my eyes.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My father was stationed in Chicago in the 60's.

Back then he said that if you looked at every piece for just one (1) minute, it would take eight (8) YEARS to see everything, and that is just what is on display.

If you haven't been there it is beyond imagination. Everything you could ever find fascinating is in there - somewhere.

It is like the Louvre. Both are beyond imagination.

Doug

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I too thought the Zepher,,#999,and the Spirit of America was also way cool.The Spirit was supposed to be gone back in 2015,but was still there last fall.Way too much for one day.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    For my money, the U-505 exhibit alone would be worth the trip and expense for the entire museum.
    Many, MANY fascinating exhibits, but NOTHING compares to that U-Boat.

I could not get over how small the sub itself is, how long the torpedoes are, and kept wondering how they got them inside the sub.
    They give you an explanation, but I'd pay to watch one being on-loaded.

There is a cut-away torpedo in the waiting area for the sub tour.
    I could have studied that thing for hours...

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    When the U-505 was dragged across Lake Shore Drive to the museum, my mother drove me down to see it. Interesting. I was on it many times as a kid when one could get in the museum for free. Also recall the sub USS Silversides was docked at Navy Pier and could be toured for free. The idiots who run Chicago decided they didn't want the Silversides so the town of Muskegon, MI took it. Worth a look if you are in that area.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    For my money, the U-505 exhibit alone would be worth the trip and expense for the entire museum.

I could not get over how small the sub itself is, how long the torpedoes are, and kept wondering how they got them inside the sub.

I would imagine it loads the same as it does on US Subs.
    There is a torpedo loading hatch in the top, above each torpedo room. WWII subs had a forward torpedo room, and an aft torpedo room, so they had two hatches.
    The torpedo goes in at an angle.
    And you have to be careful.
    Very careful.

[video=youtube;4veIkDI54xw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4veIkDI54xw[/video]

A torpedo documentary.

[video=youtube;AJttDDx0Axs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJttDDx0Axs[/video]

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30

I too spent time looking at the cut away torpedoes.The Enigma was way cool.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...The idiots who run Chicago decided they didn't want the Silversides so the town of Muskegon, MI took it. Worth a look if you are in that area.

Saw it when I lived in Grand Rapids and we took a day trip to the beach in Muskegon. Super cool. At that time, they had a program where groups could rent out the sub for overnights. Don't know if they still do.

As for the U-505, i saw it in 6th grade when it was still outside the museum and you simply entered from a big hole cut in the side.

Now where it is, underground so you can walk the ramp all the way around it and see the entire collection, then inside the sub, it's much, much better. It's not just the sub, it's a whole wing (for lack of a better term) dedicated to WWII undersea warfare.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Saw it when I lived in Grand Rapids and we took a day trip to the beach in Muskegon. Super cool. At that time, they had a program where groups could rent out the sub for overnights. Don't know if they still do.

As for the U-505, i saw it in 6th grade when it was still outside the museum and you simply entered from a big hole cut in the side.

Now where it is, underground so you can walk the ramp all the way around it and see the entire collection, then inside the sub, it's much, much better. It's not just the sub, it's a whole wing (for lack of a better term) dedicated to WWII undersea warfare.

One more question, is the whole sub area extra, or just the on-board tour?

Thanks,

Top Bottom