• ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Weird argument, Kirk.

You consider it appropriate for the government to suspend 4th amendment rights as long as you are on public property?

If you don't like it, just don't leave your home. Right?

It's not weird, it is how the Fourth Amendment works.

What is reasonable depends on where you are.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I won't be going this time.

When is this parade?
    Chicagoblackhawks.com:
    "The City of Chicago will celebrate the 2013 Stanley Cup Champion Chicago Blackhawks at 11:00 a.m. on Friday, June 28 with a rally in Hutchinson Field in Grant Park following a parade along Washington Street, starting at Des Plaines Street and going to Wabash Street."

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    It's not weird, it is how the Fourth Amendment works.

What is reasonable depends on where you are.
    So being on a public street makes an unwarranted search reasonable?

We get annoyed when an Open Carrier gets stopped to verify their license and gets hassled... I can only imagine how irritated I would get if I was just minding my own business walking down the street and the police stopped me and wanted to search me for no reason.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So being on a public street makes an unwarranted search reasonable?

We get annoyed when an Open Carrier gets stopped to verify their license and gets hassled... I can only imagine how irritated I would get if I was just minding my own business walking down the street and the police stopped me and wanted to search me for no reason.

Being on a public street does not make you subject to an unwarranted search. Being armed and dangerous does though.

Going to an even in a public park make subject you to an administrative search which may be constitutional depending on, 1. how it is conducted, 2. scope of the search, 3. timing, 4. notice, 5. Etc..

Carrying a handgun in Indiana is a crime. Stopping and checking for a license will likely be constitutional.

Going to an event like the Blackhawks Party is not simply walking down the street. If you wish not to have your backpack searched simply don't go in the courthouse, or to Grant Park during the Blackhawks Party.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Being on a public street does not make you subject to an unwarranted search. Being armed and dangerous does though.
    Being armed only permits them to check to make sure you're licensed - once they find you are licensed you're no longer suspected of violating the law [unless they have PC/RS for another violation of the law] and, as such, a search is not justified.

My point is - if I leave my house with a bag [and no gun] and go walking down the street and an officer stops me and demands to search me and/or my belongings I will refuse.

Going to an even in a public park make subject you to an administrative search which may be constitutional depending on, 1. how it is conducted, 2. scope of the search, 3. timing, 4. notice, 5. Etc..
    How, exactly, does entering the public park give them legal justification to search you? Now if it were a condition to entry and everybody going in was being searched I could see it - but it isn't and they aren't.

Carrying a handgun in Indiana is a crime. Stopping and checking for a license will likely be constitutional.
    Sure, but that's not the point I was making. I'm not talking about checking for my LTCH/to see if I'm legal - I'm referring to searching me and/or my belongings.

Going to an event like the Blackhawks Party is not simply walking down the street. If you wish not to have your backpack searched simply don't go in the courthouse, or to Grant Park during the Blackhawks Party.
    If the courthouse and Grant Park are being used for the party - sure - they can have conditions to entry.

I fail to see, however, how simply walking down the street is justification for a search of any kind - can you enlighten me?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Not going may be an option for some.
    But what about the thousands of people that work near there.
    Don't go to work? Miss a day's pay? Risk getting fired?

What happened to all that debate on RAS and PC????

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I fail to see, however, how simply walking down the street is justification for a search of any kind - can you enlighten me?

It is usually not. S3 is just so fact dependent that it is hard to give black and white answers. It is like the "can the police take my gun" thread, so grey that it is hard to see.

If I am walking down the street in my Hamburglar stripes, mask and bag with a dollar sign and the po-po receive a report that someone matching my description just robbed a bank with a pistol, then a stop and frisk is justified.

If I am just skipping down the street, as I am wont to do, then no, the po-po cannot just stop and frisk me.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    It is usually not. S3 is just so fact dependent that it is hard to give black and white answers. It is like the "can the police take my gun" thread, so grey that it is hard to see.

If I am walking down the street in my Hamburglar stripes, mask and bag with a dollar sign and the po-po receive a report that someone matching my description just robbed a bank with a pistol, then a stop and frisk is justified.

If I am just skipping down the street, as I am wont to do, then no, the po-po cannot just stop and frisk me.

Or if I want to go to the public park owned by the citizens of the community I don't lose my Constitutionally guaranteed rights to privacy.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Well, what about baggage? Cause that's what they are going to search, just for being there. No robbery report or threats.

Top Bottom