• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Most Chicago gun violence is gang related. Citizens carrying guns will have no affect on that. The gang-bangers have no respect for life, their's or anyone else's.

It is muggings and such that will be affected.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Gang bangers are a bunch of thugs that victimize the weak... I think you'll see some change when people aren't afraid to shoot back...

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Gang bangers are a bunch of thugs that victimize the weak... I think you'll see some change when people aren't afraid to shoot back...

I disagree. The shootings in Chicago are mostly gang on gang. Their targets can and do already shoot back.

They just are terrible shots or do drivebys. Thus they tend to hit a lot of non-gang related people.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    To be honest, I think concealed carry has an overall natural affect on crime. Honestly this is what it seems like and concealed carry is something I won't compromise on. I just believe people should be allowed to defend themselves. Of it doesn't increase crime then it shouldn't matter.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    The media will do it's usual "spiking" of any positive stories related to concealed carry but will be pleased to accentuate any negative ones. We will never hear the real story.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Doubtful. The sections of town that need it most won't be able to afford all the restrictions they've placed on it.

The law waiting to be signed overrode all those Chicago restrictions if you are applying for a CCW. Standard gun ownership in the home still has to abide by them, but if you get a licesnes to carry you don't.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    The law waiting to be signed overrode all those Chicago restrictions if you are applying for a CCW. Standard gun ownership in the home still has to abide by them, but if you get a licesnes to carry you don't.

I'm definitely not an expert in Illinois firearms laws, but I see the following with HB0183 in place: $150 licensing fees/5 years + 16-hour initial training (est: $250+)

Even with a cheap gun and some ammo, I estimate a minimum of $600 up front for the right to carry. I doubt there will be any form of public assistance that will help to cover these costs, so it will be a substantial hurdle for people in poor neighborhoods to carry legally.

If I understand your last sentence correctly, it would be cheaper to get an IL CCW license than to get a gun strictly for the home in Chicago (CFP) if you expect to live there for 5+ years. My quick review of Chicago requirements shows: $10 FOID fee + $100 licensing fees/3 years + $15/gun/3 years + 8-hour initial training class (est: $125). Can't see much of a reason for anyone to get a CFP at that point since it is both more restrictive and more expensive.

Last edited:

jazzy1993

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Lake County
    I've been reading, but haven't seen anything about non-resident permits. I work up there 5 days a week and it would make me a lot happier if I could carry everyday. Has anyone seen anything about this?

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    With all the restrictions in the bill on where a gun cannot be carried (e.g. public transit, outdoor rallies, and many others), I cannot believe it will make much of a difference. I you ride to work on public transit (like many do), you can't carry a gun. And on and on. IL will still be an effective no gun zone for law-abiding citizens. Unless something has changed that I am not aware of.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I didn't do a thorough reading of HB0183, but I have definite doubts that Indiana residents will be eligible for non-resident permits. The key issue for Indiana residents is their training requirement:

Section 25. Qualifications for a license.
    (6) has completed firearms training and any education component required under Section 75 of this Act.

Section 40.
    (b) The Department shall by rule allow for non-resident license applications from any state or territory of the United States with laws related to firearm ownership, possession, and carrying, that are substantially similar to the requirements to obtain a license under this Act.
    (c) A resident of a state or territory approved by the Department under subsection (b) of this Section may apply for a non-resident license. The applicant shall apply to the Department and must meet all of the qualifications established in Section 25 of this Act...

Indiana doesn't meet the Illinois training requirements, but it is possible that they will allow you to take the Illinois training (like taking Utah or Florida non-resident training) at which point things get expensive:
    • Illinois gun training: est. $250
    • Illinois non-resident license: $300/5 years
    Kinda makes Indiana's $125 in fees for a lifetime license look like a piece of cake.

Here is a link to the HB0183 page if you want to analyze it in more detail: Illinois General Assembly - Full Text of HB0183

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Will there be an 'Obama-lite' version of costs and fees? Or a waiver? Like the phone...

If not, doesn't this law unfairly discriminate against low-income residents? Folks living on the north-side will have no problem, just cut out a few Starbucks frappes, but for folks on the south-side, where most of the crime is?

• Illinois non-resident license: $300/5 years
    Kinda makes Indiana's $125 in fees for a lifetime license look like a piece of cake.
    Methinks I'll just find a reason NOT to visit Illinois in the near future. That wasn't hard!

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Will there be an 'Obama-lite' version of costs and fees? Or a waiver? Like the phone...

If not, doesn't this law unfairly discriminate against low-income residents? Folks living on the north-side will have no problem, just cut out a few Starbucks frappes, but for folks on the south-side, where most of the crime is?

Doubtful there will be a discount version, at least in the near term. It does not offer the same opportunity for:
    As for discrimination, if HB0183 becomes law that will likely be subject of future litigation and take years to work out. That is the way of the legal meat grinder.

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

Methinks I'll just find a reason NOT to visit Illinois in the near future. That wasn't hard!
    This bill changes nothing for me as far as my current carry habits into Ill. I have no need to travel there, so I don't.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Lisa Madigan expects Quinn veto on concealed carry bill - Chicago Tribune

I wouldn't hold your breath on anything happening very soon or the actual law resembling the current bill sitting on Quinns desk. 2 things that stood out in that article to me are that Quinn will probably make amendments to the bill and that Lisa Madigan is still keeping the option on the table to appeal the ruling that forced Illinois towards ccw.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

I've had this same thought. Apparently the more "nominal" fees we are charged here don't unfairly discriminate nor do they equate to poll taxes at voting polls. But at some level, even with the most contorted view of "shall not be infringed", there has to be a point where you are disenfranchising certain people from their Constitutionally protected rights.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Lisa Madigan expects Quinn veto on concealed carry bill - Chicago Tribune

I wouldn't hold your breath on anything happening very soon or the actual law resembling the current bill sitting on Quinns desk. 2 things that stood out in that article to me are that Quinn will probably make amendments to the bill and that Lisa Madigan is still keeping the option on the table to appeal the ruling that forced Illinois towards ccw.

I've read that if he vetoes it, there's enough votes to override his veto.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I've read that if he vetoes it, there's enough votes to override his veto.

There were enough, but the original house bill was watered down by the senate but still approved by the house. I predict that quinn will water the bill down further and then it will be ratified by both houses and than Lisa Madigan will get her hands on things by appealing to the supreme court. Every time someone touches it the bill gets watered down, that has been the master plan from the start. July 9th is looming as the date when constitutional carry would go into effect but they have already received 2 extensions and I suspect a lot more shenanagins are on the way.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Real criminals will never, never apply for a CCW. That's because they'd have to submit finger prints, and upon the state collecting their prints, they would likely be arrested for an unsolved crime. They will not want their prints on file no matter what.

Top Bottom