• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Real criminals will never, never apply for a CCW. That's because they'd have to submit finger prints, and upon the state collecting their prints, they would likely be arrested for an unsolved crime. They will not want their prints on file no matter what.
    The criminal thug element in Illinois will continue on with business as usual. Any legislation of this kind will be heeded and affected only by those predisposed to following the law.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I'm definitely not an expert in Illinois firearms laws, but I see the following with HB0183 in place: $150 licensing fees/5 years + 16-hour initial training (est: $250+)

Even with a cheap gun and some ammo, I estimate a minimum of $600 up front for the right to carry. I doubt there will be any form of public assistance that will help to cover these costs, so it will be a substantial hurdle for people in poor neighborhoods to carry legally.

If I understand your last sentence correctly, it would be cheaper to get an IL CCW license than to get a gun strictly for the home in Chicago (CFP) if you expect to live there for 5+ years. My quick review of Chicago requirements shows: $10 FOID fee + $100 licensing fees/3 years + $15/gun/3 years + 8-hour initial training class (est: $125). Can't see much of a reason for anyone to get a CFP at that point since it is both more restrictive and more expensive.

When I rread the post I responded to I thought the idea was that the poster was concerned about all the Chicago restrictions and costs being layered on top of the state CCW costs.

That is what I responded to.

Otherwise you are right.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    There were enough, but the original house bill was watered down by the senate but still approved by the house. I predict that quinn will water the bill down further and then it will be ratified by both houses and than Lisa Madigan will get her hands on things by appealing to the supreme court. Every time someone touches it the bill gets watered down, that has been the master plan from the start. July 9th is looming as the date when constitutional carry would go into effect but they have already received 2 extensions and I suspect a lot more shenanagins are on the way.

It's probably not going to pass and be appealed to the Surpreme Court where it'll be overturned. The court will then say concealed carry is not a right protected by the 2nd amendment thus throwing out any protection we have from losing it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm not sure how Quinn can water the bill down.
    I thought he could sign it or not.
    If he signs it, it's law.
    If he dosen't sign it, it's law.

Am I wrong?

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I'm not sure how Quinn can water the bill down.
    I thought he could sign it or not.
    If he signs it, it's law.
    If he dosen't sign it, it's law.

Am I wrong?

yes, you are :D

Illinois governors can pretty much rewrite any bill to suit them and then sign it the way they want it to be regardless of what the legsilature did.

There are supposed to be restrictions about the use of that power but the courts have never interfered with it before when it was misused.

The legislature can then do nothing and it becomes law, or they can meet again and override the changes with a new vote. It becomes final law if that happens.

http://voices.yahoo.com/illinois-con-con-issues-amendatory-veto-power-1996595.html?cat=75 <<<<<<< this explains it

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Well we can safely assume Illinois will become a new Hawaii when this law goes into effect finally.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    yes, you are :D

Illinois governors can pretty much rewrite any bill to suit them and then sign it the way they want it to be regardless of what the legsilature did.

There are supposed to be restrictions about the use of that power but the courts have never interfered with it before when it was misused.

The legislature can then do nothing and it becomes law, or they can meet again and override the changes with a new vote. It becomes final law if that happens.

Illinois Con-Con Issues: Amendatory Veto Power - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com <<<<<<< this explains it

Thank you Jack.
    But I'm thinking if he seriously rewrites it, the pro-carry forces then can go back to court.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Very few legislators are going to be voted out of office over ccw in Illinois. The guys in areas of the state where it is strongly desired will be able to say they voted for a bill that would give their constitutants their desired carry rights. The guys upstate will be able to show their constitutants that they are truely anti carry and will praise the final bill whenever it becomes law. Everyone gets political cover.

Remember Lisa Madigan wanted to publish the list of all the FOID cardholders in the state. She has done everything in her power to oppose CCW and gun owners rights. She wants to be governer either now or 6 years from now. Her father Mike runs the state as the house speaker. Her fathers best friend John cullerton runs the senate and answers to Mike Madigan. Both live in Chicago as does Lisa Madigan. Rahm Emanual is anti gun to the bottom of his soul as is police chief as is the Chairman of Cook County Toni Periwinkle.

Pat Quinn is from Oak Park perhaps the most liberal part of Illinois and hates guns, the entire cast of characters named above knew that Quinn would not sign their bill as constituted.

I think this entire cast of characters has been playing the residents of Illinois for fools dangling that carrot in front of their noses and will continue taking little bites out of it until the courts finally force a real deadline and by then there won't be much of a carrot left.

Mike Madigan is behind the whole chirade but everyone in the state is scared of him and no one will defy this little game of his. This is how everything is done in Illinois politics

TEK

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    st joe county
    I think a lot of people who stayed in neighborhoods like bridgeport never really followed the stupid Jane Byrne gun ban in the first place. they had FOID cards and just ignored it.

in chicago the reality was, and perhaps still is, even for law abiding citizens, if you dont get pinched iwth one it doesnt really matter. i seem to recal times where burglars got shot by people with unregistered firearms and nobody was charged.

that is the perception at least, among many

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I've been reading, but haven't seen anything about non-resident permits. I work up there 5 days a week and it would make me a lot happier if I could carry everyday. Has anyone seen anything about this?

The way it reads today there is a path to a non-resident permit. It has pretty much the same requirements as the resident permit, but costs $300.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Thank you Jack.
    But I'm thinking if he seriously rewrites it, the pro-carry forces then can go back to court.

The legislature will have the opportunity to override him. If all of those that voted for the bill stick with it, it will stay the same.

Of course this is Illinois politics we are talking about.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Quinn just singed the law with all kinds of restrictions added in, including that every business in the state is off limits to CCW holders unless they put up a sign otherwise.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Quinn just singed the law with all kinds of restrictions added in, including that every business in the state is off limits to CCW holders unless they put up a sign otherwise.

I didn't hear that part but I did hear on the radio that CCWers were limited to carrying one gun and one 10 round "clip".

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    On the radio it sounded like the limit on capacity was written about the firearm. No firearm that can carry more than 10 rounds. Any semi-autos that does not hit?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    On the radio it sounded like the limit on capacity was written about the firearm. No firearm that can carry more than 10 rounds. Any semi-autos that does not hit?

Plenty. Pretty much any single stack will be under 10 rounds: All Kahrs, Keltec PF9, XDs, S&W Bodyguard, any 1911, etc.

Last edited:

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009

No, you are limited to carrying ONE 10 round magazine.

Top Bottom