"Chicago's Camera Network Is Everywhere: Raises Concerns About Possible Privacy Abuse

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    "Chicago's Camera Network Is Everywhere: Extensive Surveillance System Integrates Nonpolice Video, Raises Concerns About Possible Privacy Abuses"

From today's WSJ, this story by William M. Bulkeley, reporting that not only are there video cameras all over Chicago, but they are linked together into a giant web. The long story begins:
    A giant web of video-surveillance cameras has spread across Chicago, aiding police in the pursuit of criminals but raising fears that the City of Big Shoulders is becoming the City of Big Brother.
    While many police forces are boosting video monitoring, video-surveillance experts believe Chicago has gone further than any other U.S. city in merging computer and video technology to police the streets. The networked system is also unusual because of its scope and the integration of nonpolice cameras.

The city links the 1,500 cameras that police have placed in trouble spots with thousands more—police won't say how many—that have been installed by other government agencies and the private sector in city buses, businesses, public schools, subway stations, housing projects and elsewhere. Even home owners can contribute camera feeds.

Rajiv Shah, an adjunct professor at the University of Illinois at Chicago who has studied the issue, estimates that 15,000 cameras have been connected in what the city calls Operation Virtual Shield, its fiber-optic video-network loop.

The system is too vast for real-time monitoring by police staffers. But each time a citizen makes an emergency call, which happens about 15,000 times a day, the system identifies the caller's location and instantly puts a video feed from the nearest camera up on a screen to the left of the emergency operator's main terminal. The feeds, including ones that weren't viewed in real time, can be accessed for possible evidence in criminal cases.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    My favorite part is how they encourage you to sign up your own camera to be monitored. You know, for your safety.

Even home owners can contribute camera feeds.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    My favorite part is how they encourage you to sign up your own camera to be monitored. You know, for your safety.

I'm half surprised it's not mandatory, to get a security system permit. I'll bet it's been considered. I'll also bet it will be within a few years.

To get a security system installed, you'll have to have a broadband connection, with live feed cameras in the system, and the authorities have to have open access to the cameras...

Big John

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    I travel to and from IL daily for work and have heard from my uncle (Chicago Cop) that Illinois State Police will soon be using not only the cameras but also tollway data from YOUR Ipass to start issuing speeding tickets in early 2010.

I let my Ipass lapse accidentally and for 2 missed tolls I recieved a ticket for 176 dollars!!!! For 2 missed .80 tolls!!!

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    I've had, and heard of, big issues with IL and their Ipass toll roads.

Coupled with how they treat firearms, I'll try to never set foot there again...

CVictor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Crown Point
    Illinois isn't even a free state. Obscene taxes, Ipass everywhere, government in places they shouldn't be, no CCW allowed, uncontrolled entitlement spending at the cost of taxpayers.

I hate that state with a passion.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    Let another reason to stay out of Illinois. When my wife and I travel to Missouri to visit her parents, if I could I would bypass Illinois completely. As it is, we don't stop unless we absolutely have to.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    15,000 cameras installed already.

Has anyone notice the dramatic drop in the crime rate? Gee, those cameras are doing a wonderful job of catching jay-walkers, leash law violators, and overtime meter criminals.
    Chicago ought to be crime-free by next election. No, really.... they'll have the statistics to prove it.:rolleyes:

WWIIIDefender

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Saudi Arabia
    The terrorist seem to have access to all the cameras anyways. I mean after all the cameras always malfunction during terrorist attacks anyways, aka pentagon Oklahoma bombing and so on.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    No Fairies for me, thank you.
    Sure you don't want to rethink that?

broken-fairies--red.jpg

dark-fairies-purple-lovely.jpg

Mike_M

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Beautiful Milan
    I lived in the Chicago metro area most of my life. I learned to play golf at the Marquette Park GC where hitting a sleeping City of Chicago employee with your golf ball is an automatic 10 stroke penalty. Then, there are all those other pesky employees of the city that only show up to collect a paycheck and simply work at election time to "get the vote out". Remember, these are the same highly trained and motivated employees that keep this camera system working. I venture to bet that one-third of the cameras are not functioning at any point in time.

My point is this.... it will all turn to sh*t very quickly.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I travel to and from IL daily for work and have heard from my uncle (Chicago Cop) that Illinois State Police will soon be using not only the cameras but also tollway data from YOUR Ipass to start issuing speeding tickets in early 2010.

I let my Ipass lapse accidentally and for 2 missed tolls I recieved a ticket for 176 dollars!!!! For 2 missed .80 tolls!!!

Chicago needed your "fee" for the lost Olympic Bid. :D

Top Bottom