• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I have 3 RIR purchased from TSC beginning of March, making them 8-10 weeks old. Somehow, one of them managed to injure her right leg at the hock. It is swollen and the leg rotates out about 45 degree to the side, and it stays bent (whether that her not putting weight on it or due to the injury preventing straightening, I don't know). It doesn't seem to be a break on the straight leg bone, but I can't really tell. If it were, I'd just splint it and sling her for a few days to let it rest and heal up before she had to put weight on it. But this seems to be a hock joint injury.

I'm going to sling her up anyway, just to get the weight off and keep her from having to put the weight on it. But I'm not sure if there's anything else I can do. How would I splint it? Straight?

I know this is a weird question to be asking here, but the other resource doesn't seem to be much help this weekend. So I thought I'd give it a shot. Thanks.

Oh, she's eating and drinking fine. No other signs of problems.

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I had three like that in my last batch of RIR roosters. One died from other causes and the other two grew to be some large nice looking birds. One with the “knee” joint angled out and the other roo had the knee joint angled in. I don’t know what causes it but they seem to do ok on their own.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Oh, she's eating and drinking fine. No other signs of problems.

It's been 30+ years since we had chickens but, back in the day, your last sentence would have likely been my guide. Sounds like she's worth keeping.

Hard to say w/o actually seeing it but I would likely do nothing for at least 4-5 days. If there didn't seem to be any improvement, I'd likely do just as you suggested: splint it, with the joint open/straight, and see what happens.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    It's an 8-10wk old LAYER. They aren't exactly big at that age.

a4630.jpg

Fan blade

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Friend of mine has the same issue.. .the chicken's leg has never healed back right and carries the leg or hobbles terribly. Help nature out and start over.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

I think I threw up a little in my mouth. When he bends the leg to position it correctly, I swear I heard more bones snap, crackle, pop.

Everything I've read says not to set the bones yourself unless you have the knowledge/experience. Since my pullet's break includes a rotation (I think), I decided not even to attempt to set. She doesn't seem to be encumbered by it other than mobility/weight bearing. While she'll never win any competitions, and she may not be the speediest, I don't think it will impede her daily activities being turned out a little bit.

So I splinted her tonight and we'll see how she fares. She's eating and drinking well. And there's no sign of infection. It's just a waiting game from here on, I guess.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Take it to the vet

get an xray

have it splinted and maybe surgery to fix it.

have the vet care for it for a week or so....

pay the vet and enjoy the 100 dollar eggs.

.458socomhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Tipp Co
    Splint it in correct anatomical position. Other than that, without spending more money than it's worth (pointed out earlier), not much you can do. Some breeds are genetically prone to leg issues, some of it can be dietary. Meat breeds are definitely prone to them due to astronomical growth rates. Make sure she has access to oyster shell or other calcium supplement.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    337   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    We had a cornish hen that was mauled by a raccoon and survived. We put her on antibiotics, and within two weeks, she was back to normal.

She always had a very pronounced limp, but she was a happy bird.

Top Bottom