• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Jack-O-lanterns for sure, they always grow on wood. I've seen folks confuse those with Chanterelles, but I only find those in July.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    1st time hunting Chicken of the woods...went 150 yards from my creek campsite and found the mother load! Well over 20' of it in fallen huge decaying oak I'm guessing. Had to climb down, take shoes off and wade across creek and then climb almost straight up to get to it! Theres so much of it! Going to fry some later this evening and eat for first time.....anyone know how long it will last on that log? Can I go back weekly to get some? I only took a little bit to try out. thumbnail.jpeg

Last edited:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Just ate some....I don't eat spring mushrooms but here I am eating this stuff.....and its pretty darn good! Just found out you can freeze it so going back for the other 60 lbs LOL. Theres a bunch, just going to cut it off the better stuff and leave the thick stuff to the tree as they say it will grow and keep coming back year from year that way. They also say it freezes really good so going to have a freezer fullsizeoutput_563.jpeg fullsizeoutput_564.jpeg full. And it does taste like chicken or close enough to it!

Top Bottom