• ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    What in hell is wrong with people? I had this thing in 8th grade. I was digging those farkin things out of my scalp for weeks. There's a vaccination for it now. Chicken pox sucks. Infecting people on purpose is evil. Somebody needs to be smacked, hard.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    While I think this is beyond a terrible idea, I've heard countless stories about parents forcing their kids to hang out with an infected sibling/neighborhood kid so they can get it over with. I have no idea how true it is that getting chicken pox is much more serious for an adult than for a child, but I know people were lead to believe that back in the day.

BTW, despite being exposed to them as a child, I've never had them...I'll let you know how bad they are as an adult if I ever get them.:):

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    They now say that you lose your immunity after a few decades. The adult form is shingles, one of the more painful things you can get. I got a booster vaccine this year. No adverse reaction.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Chicken pox was a family affair when I was a kid. My cousins got it first, my Mom invited them over for the weekend so my brothers and I would all get them. Then we were farmed out to other cousins.

So, the stories are true. I been exposed to them several times as an adult and have never contracted them again. I have also thanked my Mom for what she did.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I've heard countless stories about parents forcing their kids to hang out with an infected sibling/neighborhood kid so they can get it over with. I have no idea how true it is that getting chicken pox is much more serious for an adult than for a child, but I know people were lead to believe that back in the day.
    Once one of my kids got them, they ALL had them. Believe me I didn't have to do anything on purpose.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Now, it's not to say I minded having them so much; I got over the hard part in a couple of days, a week off school, and it was late spring, so the daughter of the backdoor neighbor was out sunbathing. But pickin those little bastiges out of my scalp...

MrsXtremeVel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I got chickenpox when I was 16 from the little monsters I babysat for. Ended up in the ER with a tube down my throat so I could breathe. That was the end of my babysitting days. They couldn't pay me enough after that.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I had the chicken pox before I was 10. I went back to Germany with the Guard in 99 at age 23. After we got done with the field, I noticed blisters on the front of my stomach and back and went to the camp medical facility. The medic said it was herpes and all I could think was how was I going to explain that to my wife. Finally, an LT came in and looked at it and said it was shingles. He asked if he could take a picture of it and use it for a screensaver. Those blisters hurt like hell once they dried up!

They say stress can bring on shingles which is a relapse of chicken pox.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yup, becomes one of those latent viruses that waits around in you to come out at the worst times. I have the usual mouth herpes, but my favorite is the pleurisy one. Feels like I'm being stabbed through the chest.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    It's legal to mail varicella virus if it's properly packaged and labelled. Class B biological hazard, UN 3393. Maybe also ORM-D. But not for individuals, only institutions.

Citation: USPS Website, 6.1

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I'm one of the weird cases of getting them twice.
    Once when I was two... and once when I was a freshman in high school (first day of spring break).

Top Bottom