• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I doubt when they decided to open the pre-school the first thought on their mind was to put up "no guns allowed" signs. I know the director of the museum and can call and ask her about this, but I knew her when she worked at IU and I'm not positive about this, but I think if the idea was put in her head, she will definitely ensure signs go up and the media is notified.

SedahDrol

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Wouldn't this match up with not being able to carry at a church that has child care?

If the church is required to have a daycare license then it would be illegal. If they are an unlicensed child care ministry then carry is legal.

So it basically if they daycare center has to be licensed to operate then carry is illegal. If they don't have to be licensed but chose to or aren't then carry is legal.

Child care ministries (aka church-based daycares) generally do not have to be licensed.

hoosiersasquatch

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    In 2002 the Indiana Supreme Court determined a church Quasi-Kindergarten was a school zone when a drug dealer did his business within a 1000 foot of the church, I would think they would be liberal in determining the museum as a school zone also.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    IC 35-41-1-24.7
    "School property" defined
    Sec. 24.7. "School property" means the following:
    (1) A building or other structure owned or rented by:
    (A) a school corporation;
    (B) an entity that is required to be licensed under IC 12-17.2 or IC 31-27;
    (C) a private school that is not supported and maintained by funds realized from the imposition of a tax on property, income, or sales; or
    (D) a federal, state, local, or nonprofit program or service operated to serve, assist, or otherwise benefit children who are at least three (3) years of age and not yet enrolled in kindergarten, including the following:
    (i) A Head Start program under 42 U.S.C. 9831 et seq.
    (ii) A special education preschool program.
    (iii) A developmental child care program for preschool children.
    (2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure described in subdivision (1).

Here is the IC.

I don't know if it's a school or not.

While looking this up today, I noted that this section of IC has been repealed.

I have been searching and, while it is still a felony to possess on "school property" or a "school bus" unless otherwise exempt, nowhere have I been able to find the definition of "school property".

Does anyone have any clues on the current definition of "school property" in IC?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    While looking this up today, I noted that this section of IC has been repealed.

I have been searching and, while it is still a felony to possess on "school property" or a "school bus" unless otherwise exempt, nowhere have I been able to find the definition of "school property".

Does anyone have any clues on the current definition of "school property" in IC?

The same definition has been relocated elsewhere in the IC, though I don't remember exactly where. I noticed the same thing too, and ATM found the relevant "new" home for the language. If you do a search for "school property" and his posts, I bet you'll find it.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    IC 35-31.5-2-285
    "School property"
    Sec. 285. "School property" means the following:
    (1) A building or other structure owned or rented by:
    (A) a school corporation;
    (B) an entity that is required to be licensed under IC 12-17.2 or IC 31-27;
    (C) a private school that is not supported and maintained by funds realized from the imposition of a tax on property, income, or sales; or
    (D) a federal, state, local, or nonprofit program or service operated to serve, assist, or otherwise benefit children who are at least three (3) years of age and not yet enrolled in kindergarten, including the following:
    (i) A Head Start program under 42 U.S.C. 9831 et seq.
    (ii) A special education preschool program.
    (iii) A developmental child care program for preschool children.
    (2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure described in subdivision (1).
    As added by P.L.114-2012, SEC.67.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Oh wait a minute, you mean a victim disarmament zone... Yea because we all know that criminals follow the law... IGNORANCE, complete and total IGNORANCE!!!

Gunner

:facepalm: you are not thinking of the children! What type of cold heart childless crazy gun nut are you!
    Besides no criminal is going to go INSIDE the museum! They don't want to get educated your know. ;)

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    :facepalm: you are not thinking of the children! What type of cold heart childless crazy gun nut are you!
    Besides no criminal is going to go INSIDE the museum! They don't want to get educated your know. ;)
    This^^^ Children's safety is #1 priority!

ron8924

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    SouthWest IN
    Hello guys, been about 3 years since this thread has had any action. Does anyone know for sure if the Indy Childern's Museum is legally a gun free zone? I was checking their website looking for anything that had to do with a preschool and could not find anything. I am not from the area, but thinking of taking my family up there this weekend. Just curious on what your guys thoughts are on the matter.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Hello guys, been about 3 years since this thread has had any action. Does anyone know for sure if the Indy Childern's Museum is legally a gun free zone? I was checking their website looking for anything that had to do with a preschool and could not find anything. I am not from the area, but thinking of taking my family up there this weekend. Just curious on what your guys thoughts are on the matter.

Good question, Ron. To my knowledge, the Children's Museum still is designated a "school", and thus, is off-limits to carry, though if you have your LTCH, you can legally lock your gun away, out of sight, in your car in the parking lot now. It's not perfect, but at least you don't have to leave it at home or park off-property now.

If we can get Constitutional Carry and an end to "gun free zones" through the legislature in early 2017, we can eliminate this question once and for all. :)

Blessings,
    Bill

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    Any updates on this. The kids are getting old enough and the wife is asking about going.

Ive sold insurance in all areas of the hood and that area is one place I try to avoid armed.

Top Bottom