• Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    After
    View attachment 152298
    This shows that it was made at arsenal 26, the three characters were added starting the second year of production and the serial starting with '11' puts it after 1966. It has the short lug and two piece gas tube so it has to be later than 1966 but before 1970.
    wifey says the first two characters are "five" and "six" and third is possibly "type" or "model."

Nothing too mysterious there!

Last edited:

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    It was done early this morning but when I went to take some pics I guess I left the camera on and the battery was crunk. It has been charging and I plan to get pics in the AM and post. It has a good 'feel' to it, the barrel is chrome lined, the gas piston has a chrome moly head and I hope it is a good shooter. I would at least like to hit what I see rather than see what I hit.

It isn't gonna be just for looking at, it is for play time...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    In total, about 6h of labor and about $10 of materials that I already had on hand.

It isn't hard to do, just tedious as the better prepped the metal is the better the blue will take.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I like the SKS's, bought a few when they first hit the market and were $89 - $99 at the gun shows. Your pick right out of the import crate. I think they are slightly more accurate than the AK 47S. (Got one of those too).

By the way the SKS's were sighted in with the bayonet extended so they usually shoot high if it is folded or removed and require sights to be adjusted.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I now use the G96 Bluing Cream. Easiest stuff in the world.

As long as you have a glove, a booger hooker, alcohol, some clean rags and PB multi-purpose spray lube, then you to can do this (but your mileage may vary)...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I now use the G96 Bluing Cream. Easiest stuff in the world.

As long as you have a glove, a booger hooker, alcohol, some clean rags and PB multi-purpose spray lube, then you to can do this (but your mileage may vary)...
    So is beer good enough, or do you recommend something stronger, like bourbon or tequila? ;)

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I like the SKS's, bought a few when they first hit the market and were $89 - $99 at the gun shows. Your pick right out of the import crate. I think they are slightly more accurate than the AK 47S. (Got one of those too).

By the way the SKS's were sighted in with the bayonet extended so they usually shoot high if it is folded or removed and require sights to be adjusted.
    They also used them as a mono pod but a I think I will keep mine folded.

It reminds me of the kid down in Kentucky that was born with three eyes. They aren't going to do surgery, just let him run around with a pair of scissors...

Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    I didn't see the carved characters before. Showed those to the wife too, but she isn't too sure; they're pretty rough and hard to read. The single carving on the right side could possibly be the character for "fierce."

Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 11.15.36 AM.png

She is less sure about the other side, although has a couple interesting guesses. Those two together look similar to the combination for "swan," or a better sounding guess is "guard mountain 7M" / "mountain guard 7M." That would be neat if there was a strategic mountain coded 7M somewhere in China, but my brief internet search was pretty fruitless.

Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 11.15.54 AM.png

Of course these could be totally out of line. Chinese language is fraught with multiple meanings, interpretations, and local dialects, not to mention rudimentary education. I gave up trying to understand a long time ago.

Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    Thank you for taking the time to help the helpless. That is so cool. I can't thank you enough.

Drewski, I owe you a brewski...
    hey just one of the many benefits of getting a mail order bride from Taiwan

and on the subject of beers, where can i find some Polish beers down here?!? They don’t even have any at that crazy liquor store on Stop 11 across from the library. One of the few things I miss from my old neighborhood in Chicago. Polish delis and Polish beer.

0CF55454-5EBD-4241-9CB2-895CA4DC1E75.jpeg

Top Bottom