• ...and so much more!
  • Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMfSGt6rHos

I am not for regulating or banning factory farms. However, what I would like to see is for more people to start making the conscious decision to eat healthier. Farm animals being injected with hormones and packed with preservatives is hard on our immune systems. The same goes for vegetables. Genetically altered crops are unhealthy as well. +1 to Chipotle for going against the grain.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Chipotle is awesome, especially their stock! :rockwoot:

Their management tends to run on the premise that if you make good food with quality ingredients then people will be willing to pay a little more than the crap from Taco Bell. One reason for their success is the limited menu allows then to reduce their cost.

I imagine someone will mention McDonalds, but they really don't have much influence now.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    :+1: As a 5th generation small farmer now working a regular job to keep the small farm life for my family I say:thumbsup: Stop buying the Wal**** crap, I sell beef direct via 1/4,1/2 and have a list of people wanting beef. I run an open door on our farm for our customers, I have nothing to hide, any time they want to inspect our treatment of livestock they are welcome. Find a small farmer in your area and support him for your food needs.

mschlatter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    In the Barn
    I have been farming with my family for 25 years. We have raised cattle, hogs, corn soybeans and wheat. In early 80's my father decided to exit out of cattle because there wasn't a good enough margin to make a living for his family. He then increased his hog herd from 400 to 1500. As time went on our family grew. My brothers and I always aspired to work on the farm with my dad. As time went on my brothers and I grew up. My father did his best to grow the family farm to be able to keep us all together. However my oldest brother saw there would not be enough income, so he became a truck driver. My other brother stayed with dad and kept farming. It was my turn. I like my oldest brother came to the same realization, the money probably wouldn't be there. I went to college and got as degree. During this time I kept working with dad and going to school. A few years after school and getting married, dad passed away. At that time he was raising 28,000 hogs, growing 1200 acres of corn and 800 acres of soybeans. Things were tough and he was barley getting by. I took more of a roll at the farm at that time. My brother was still there working the crops and I took over the herd. Fast forward to now. My brother raises 1500 acres of corn and 900 acres of soybeans. I manage 55,000 head of hogs annually. Margins are even tighter. There isn't much left at the end of the year in livestock. But I love doing it and care deeply for my pigs. I don't inject them with hormones or any other clichés that people put out there. They eat corn and soy based diets like they always have. The same pigs that I send to market are the same ones that I put on my dinner table. Some people would like to call me a factory farm because I raise so many or my barns look different. We are still the same family farm just the next generation. Just as many of you don't drive the same car your dads did or your house doesn't look the same as past generations. We are still farmers that care about our land and our animals. They are our livelihood, our investments and our future. The last thing we want to do is treat them badly.

Top Bottom