• ...and so much more!
  • climber1218

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Converse
    I own a Rhino 30DS Hunter in 357 magnum. It has a decent double action trigger press. Single action trigger is good but cocking the hammer is hard work compared to a conventional revolver. Recoil is modestly less than a similar caliber conventional revolver. I like the gun but do not carry it for a few reasons: 1.) I need to be careful where I place my left thumb or I will get burned from escaping gas through the cylinder gap (the grip location and angle place my thumb more forward than in a conventional revolver)...I'm working on overlapping my thumbs but this involves reversing years of training while firing semi-automatic pistols! 2.) The Cerakote finish on my model is easily scratched. 3.) Holster selection is still limited.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    To narrow what we talk about, is there anything specific you're curious about or planned use you're considering it for?

My experience mirrors the above. They're fun but, like any revolver, practicality is limited and complicated by uniqueness.

The grip angle takes some getting used to. you want to do a lot of dry fire and dry-draw practice before you can expect to be anywhere near target.

I never found cocking the hammer difficult, just a little different action than most guns.

SA isn't a worked Smith, but it's good. DA might be a touch lighter or might just be ergonomics but not quite as perfectly smooth as a Smith. The wide flat trigger can be a love-hate for people

Recoil is... different than other revolvers. Typically, revolvers torque or twist in your hand which absorbs some of the recoil energy. The Rhino just slams back into your hand. The no-muzzle-rise marketing holds true but the energy doesn't disappear. Don't shoot hot loads with bad wrist, elbow, or shoulder. The recoil goes straight back through your arm.

Yes, because it fires from the bottom cylinder the cylinder's closer to your hand so you do need to be mindful of your thumbs. That also means your thumbs get a little dirtier.

It wouldn't be my first suggestion for a carry piece, all the usual revolver downsides with the addition of being unusual lockwork. There are only a few pieces more than other revolvers so it's not so much that they're overly complex but that there are few smiths that'll touch it should something go wrong. I had to pull mine apart to clean up a bind on part of the mechanism.

Nchunt101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2021
    Ft Wayne
    Granted my experience is limited but I hated the one I shot. Grip angle was terrible and the gun seemed terribly clunky for lack of better term.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    LOL a face only a mother could love indeed! It's not a looker but it is meant to get attention.

This. I have shot two cylinders worth out of one. Both 38 and 357. Because it shoots out of the bottom cylinder and not the top, barrel flip is almost nonexistent. Recoil pushes the gun directly back into your palm. I enjoyed shooting it. Ugly AF but fun to shoot.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    This. I have shot two cylinders worth out of one. Both 38 and 357. Because it shoots out of the bottom cylinder and not the top, barrel flip is almost nonexistent. Recoil pushes the gun directly back into your palm. I enjoyed shooting it. Ugly AF but fun to shoot.
    Wasn't mine was it? I don't think I had it at the INGO open shoot a few years ago or whatever the match was you came to at HHRP this fall.

Will317

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 18, 2016
    Beech Grove
    I got a 200ds in a trade about a year and a half ago. Ugly gun for sure. Was planning on selling it and only traded because the trade was good in my favor. Took it to the range and fell in love. Recoil with hot 357 does slam back in your hand, but very accurate and carried it a lot until the riots started happening. I’d recommend trying one out.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Good information in this thread. I've always wondered about them myself. After reading this thread I think I'll stick to traditional revolvers.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Did you meet him at Beech Grove firearms for test firing?
    No. It was at Proteq at one of the open houses. LOTS of shooting of other peoples' guns happens there. Which makes it hard to recall exactly who's guns you have shot.

Still cant decide which was more fun from those shoots; Shooting the Glock 18 (full auto) or the REALLY rare AMT Automag pistol in 30 carbine. That thing was a serious fireball maker.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    No. It was at Proteq at one of the open houses. LOTS of shooting of other peoples' guns happens there. Which makes it hard to recall exactly who's guns you have shot.

Still cant decide which was more fun from those shoots; Shooting the Glock 18 (full auto) or the REALLY rare AMT Automag pistol in 30 carbine. That thing was a serious fireball maker.

awww I missed the 18!

I remember the automag... that thing was awesome!

Top Bottom