• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    My wife's back went out Monday. Not being able to stand the pain anymore, she went to my Mother-In-Law's Chiropractor today. She is feeling better now, but has to go back again tomorrow. My wife's mom has had a lot of back problems. And had to have surgery a year ago. IMO, she's worse now. Not able to stand straight, back still hurts but not as much, and she can't life anything remotely heavy.

Anyway. I mentioned to my dad today that my wife had to go see a Chiropractor. He told me he's heard that they do a lot more hard than good. So I don't know. I've heard different things.

I know a lot of my fellow INGOers know things.:D

Chiropractors. More harm than good? What say you? Do they do any good at all?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Find a reputable one, just like with any business.

They're not big on handing out prescriptions to everyone who comes through their door, so obviously chiropractors have found a good following of critics who feel strongly about convincing people to medicate themselves with drugs.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    ^^^ What he said. I have one that I trust and have seen for many years. One thing to consider is that some insurance won't cover Chiropractic treatment. If that happens you might look for an osteopath. They use many of the same techniques but are considered to M.D.s by the insurance companies.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I've been over the years. Have to say they did more good than harm and helped out a lot with a slight scoliosis issue I have. Docs had me on anti-inflammatories that killed my stomach and did nothing for the pain. My chiropractor relieved the pain and I haven't had a flare up in years. Same for a back injury many years ago. They helped me avoid surgery, and I'm glad of that. Like Rambone said, find a reputable one (preferably a Palmer School graduate) and they'll be a big help.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    In the early eighties I injured my back in a Judo bout. The military doctors did all their voodoo then told me they could not find anything wrong, gave me some pills and sent me on my way. I was in so much pain I could not stand the vibration of riding in a moving car. So I went to a chiropractor. He took an x-ray said he could see the problem. He treated me using some kind of hand held device that gave a gentle tap to my spine. Pain was gone immediately. I saw him two more times for check ups on his work. Then never saw him again. After all this time I have not had any more pain from that injury. I believe in and would not hesitate to go to one if the need came up again. I would however check around and find one with the best reputation.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I have went to them many times. They helped everytime with pain and with the exception of one of them explained why they were doing the treatment they were doing. I would go to one again before I would go to an MD.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    From 16 on my neck would go out, couldn't move it, hurt, take days to get better. MD would say put heat on it...no good...When I was 19 it went out again an girlfriend took me to her chiropactor...he took xrays an showed me...it was bad looking..he asked what happen when I was young, probably around 8 to 10....????....he said I had a bad injury to my neck an it grew like that, I was not born that way....It had to be severe...I didn't know ...anyway he cracked it in 3 places an it was 100% better!!! I was sold. Over the yrs. I have gone back just a few times an he fixes it...or that is his son who took over....I did go back an tell him my injury that I never knew until I told mom....in horror she couldn't believe I didn't remember...we think it was too much of a shock for me to remember an all these yrs. mom an dad thought I knew..when I was 8 my brother came home from Nam...kept thinking I was gook trying to kill him, he tried 3 times to kill me, twice my dad saved my life an the 3rd he threw me by the neck down the stairs hitting my mom an we both broke through the front door...mo started praying to Jesus an my brother went back an laid back down on the floor where he would sleep....The chiroprator said thats when it had happend, an I had block the trama, an was probably to afraid to talk about a hurt neck.....Yes I believe in chiroprators...at least this one an his son.....they don't even look at my xrays...they know.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I've been to a chiropractor quite a bit in the past. I have some serious back and neck pain. Stretches help some. Adjustments help some. Massage therapy doesn't really help. Muscle relaxers help a ton. My doctor doesn't like to give medication without testing. I can't afford the tests and I don't have insurance. Can't even get 10 Soma so I head to the chiropractor.

The little handheld thing doesn't work on me. A traction table helped some but it is expensive. I might be going to a chiropractor soon-ish as I'm in quite a bit of constant pain again.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I've been off and on throughout the years since I was in a car accident when I was 12. Occasionally I will throw my back/neck out, sometimes one session does the trick, sometimes it may take a couple, but it always works for me. I generally swear by my chiro but I've been to a couple I wouldn't go back to as well. One thing, depending on the chiro, if they have a physical therapist on staff, they can bill your chiro treatments as physical therapy for people who's insurance doesn't cover chiro. Not saying all will do this, but mine does.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I began going for lower back pain several years ago when a friend recommended his chiropractor. He did a great job and after about four visits I was good to go. A year or so later I hurt my neck and lost a little bit of movement in it. It stopped hurting after a few days so I forgot about it. Months later I hurt my back again and went to see the chiropractor again. He had me lay face down on the exam table (as usual) and started his exam with my ankles (as usual). It took him about 10 seconds to ask me if I was having problems with my neck. I had completely forgotten about it but remembered when he asked. I told him about hurting it and within a minute he did his magic and I regained the movement I had lost.

I'm sold, at least on this particular chiropractor.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Chiropractors. More harm than good? What say you? Do they do any good at all?

There are bad chiro's and good ones.

The first one I ever visited was the worst experience of my life, it only took me one visit to know he was a quack.

My second and current Chiro, Dr. David Kirkling in Mooresville is a top notch Chiropractor. Does not make you visit him any more than needed and I have never had to see him more then 5 times over a 3 week period to get me "straightened" out. Matter of fact I'm making an appointment to see him Monday.

He's got a +1 from me on his ability to fix my back.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Before I knew about my two bulging disks, and my spinal arthritis. I went to a chiropractor. He told me, that one of my legs was longer then the other, so my muscles where trying to pull my hips back into alignment. So, he would adjust me, and said my legs where damn near close in length. As for the pain, it only made it worse. I then got an MRI, and they said by the way, you have degenerative back disease. I was like, woohoo what do I win? I highly recommend if you can, get an MRI, before Dr. idiot makes things worse. I have also done physical therapy and too was a joke. I have given up all hope in living somewhat pain free. I see myself wheelchair bound by age 35 :rockwoot:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Witch Doctors, that's all I have to say!

Many should feel lucky if they can get a title as high as Witch Doctor. I went to a chiropractor that has a traction table and while I was in the office she tried selling me 3 different types of potions that were a cure all. She let me see some paperwork and got highly offended when I laughed because all 3 potions were varieties of protein shakes. She'd been selling them as a cure for the common cold along with treatment 3x a week for 3 weeks. That hasn't even been the worst chiropractor experience. I've been to 1 office that did x-rays and they actually understand how to help a problem if it isn't something serious. The 2 that work in that office would be quick to tell you if it was something that they couldn't help so you're not wasting money.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Good and Bad in all professions.

I found a good one and stand by what happened to me. Medical doctors could find nothing and a chiropractor fixed me in one session. I have had a lot of injuries over the years and that back injury was the worst pain I had ever suffered. Thank God for chiropractors.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I was very skeptical myself until wrecking my middle and upper back in a nasty snow skiing fall last winter. (Lets just say goind "endo" at top speed on skis, and landing on your neck/shoulders isn't a good thing for your back.) I didn't have any serious injuries, but I did have several vertebrae that were no longer in alignment, and were putting a lot of pressure on the nerves to migh right arm and mid back.

After a few visits for adjustments, followed by a weekly mid-back massage to relax the muscles, I was feeling good as new. I now go in for a "tune up" every 3-6 months. It is amazing what a straight back will do for minor aches and pains that one can get from lifting, sitting, etc.

Top Bottom