Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Any suggestions meeting my criteria?

Non-electric lock
    16-24 capacity
    Under $700

From Personal experience. Buy bigger than you think you will EVER need.
    Why the requirements as to size. I purchased a safe that was bigger than what I wanted and am already looking at buying another on because the first one is full.

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    Try Dunhams , I purchased a floor model display stack on elite 650lb 36 gun safe for 649.00. The Dunhams in Marion regularly sells off the safes they have on display for 50% off. Maybe other Dunhams do the same.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Yes, always buy bigger. Usually twice as much if you can afford it. Heavier the better, and check the Fire temp/hour ratings. Get 2 hours if you can.

stub909

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    We looked at Winchester and Mesa and ended up with this Mesa model. It was under a grand and solid. We did a lot of homework, and you really get what you pay for. Buy big and don't buy anything that weighs less than 500lbs. Good luck moving it!

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Since I picked one up today, I'll 2nd the Winchester from Tractor Supply, even though it goes against your criteria. I was pretty deadset against electronic locks too, but the salesperson in the Greensburg store said she's heard the electronic locks hold up better than the dial/tumbler style.

The safe was $599, and was about the best deal I've seen for a safe with the options this one has. 12 separate 1.25" locking bolts, 5 on each side and 1 on top/bottom. The interior panels are covered with a higher quality carpet that the Canons. My favorite feature is the included handgun pouches on the door, although I'd rather have a few more than the other "accessory" pouches/compartments.

I'll also 2nd the "buy bigger than you think" suggestions. The Winchester is 22.5 cubic feet, and advertised for 24 long guns, but I don't see how you get more than 18 or so, especially if your long guns have scopes or bipods.

With my current house, a safe this size is about as big as I could have gone. My next house will have room for a bigger safe, possibly a Johnson like other folks have recommended here.

http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh620/jrh84/2012-07-22_17-39-38_741.jpg

Last edited:

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    ^This!
    Continue to save up your money and once you are ready go with Johnson Safe. He is an advertister here on INGO and makes the safes right here in Indiana! His safes are better and thicker than anything you can buy at retail and cost less than the big boys.

My Experience
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._safe_to_real_pink_cadillac_johnson_safe.html

I made the mistake of buying cheap, or should I say, uninformed, and now I have Johnsons, and I'll never go back.

billcollector

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    NW Indiana
    You should go look at some. Go to Cabelas and go to Bass pro since you have that close to you. Learn what YOU like and dislike. If you don't want to go with a Johnson save I would strongly recommend a Liberty. That is what i have.

dljx3

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    If you want to keep things from your kids, a safe from Tractor supply is great. If you want to keep things from a burglar, beware of the cheaper ones. You can easily cut through 12 gauge steel with circular saw. A fire axe will go through 10 or 8 gauge easily. Bolt it to the floor. An 800 pound box can be tipped over by one person. You can move them pretty easily with dowell rods or broom sticks under them. Of course getting them upsatairs or downstairs can be tricky. Putting it in a closet is great as this protects the sides. Against one wall at least protects one side. Most cheaper safes use gypsum as the insulator. This will emit water vapor when heated and while it may meet the less than 350 degree temperature to make it "fire safe", the steam will destroy everything that is made of steel or paper during a fire. Most safe failures come from electronic locks. Browning is the only manufacturer I know that warranties their electronic locks for more than a couple years.

My Sturdy Safe, Gun Safes : Fire Safe Manufacturer : Sturdy Gun Safe, was an investment. I have total peace of mind that it is protecting my other investments.

Top Bottom