• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kenny87ky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    I have been thinking of going to a semi auto shotgun for awhile as I tend to prefer them over my pumps, I only have one right now and that's a Winchester 1400 in 20 gauge, problem is with this gun and others I suspect, is they have cycling issues with cheap low brass ammo I love to use for skeet, and having fun with.

What are some good 12 gauge autos that would not have these issues? There was a 930 in the gun store with a 18.5 inch barrel I really liked, with that and a extra 26 inch barrel or something I think it would be a nice gun for anything, but I don't know much about ammo compatibility as far as cheap stuff is concerned.

troy28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    Behind the crosshairs
    I have shot several Benelli semi autos and own one personally. All I shoot is cheapo ammo lately all wally world. I have never had an issue with feeding. They are light and the inertia system feels good on recoil. They are not on the cheap side but you do get what you pay for. Just my $0.02. Good luck!

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    What is your price range? I have an FN SLP MK1 that is unstoppable. It comes with 2 pistons and a 3rd is available for 1/8oz and lighter loads. Changing the piston takes less than a minute w/o practice and the whole package can be had for about $1,200.

I think I got mine for right at a grand. Then the new piston for $100 and a Trulock tactical choke for $100. So Ive got right at $1200 in mine. I recomend it to anyone looking for a do it all shotgun.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    In that case you were on the right path with the Mossy 930. Its probably the best value in a semiauto shotgun out there IMHO.

I have a Mossy 590A1 and its buildt like a tank.

nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    I may take some heat for this

But i bought a Reminton SPR 435(I think thats the model). Its actually imported by Remy and is a Baikal shotgun. I'm not sure who imports them now, but ithink that i paid around 400 for it new. I have fed it some of the worst garbage i could find at Rural King and it has never had an issue. Of course its not a looker like the Benellis and other beauties out there, but it does what i have asked of it. I used the Xtra Full choke and some Remy 3" 4 buck last year and knocked a coyote flat on his kiester at exactly 49 yards. You can do a quick search and find out quite a bit about them.

Kenny87ky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    Remington doesn't import Baikal anymore I don't think, but I went to the baikal site and they have an auto called the MP 153 and from what I can read it was designed for all loads, from the cheap target loads to 3.5 inch and has gotten positive reviews, I am liking what I read about this shotgun, they seem to go for $350-400 but its well worth it if what I read is true.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Baikal is imported under USSG now.

If one wants to shoot geese with steel shot, then a 3.5" makes sense. Outside of that 3" is enough (IMHO).

My vote is Remington 1100 magnum with an extra 2 3/4" bbl :)

soupy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    Elkhart Co.
    I have a 1100 and a benelli montefeltro. The 1100 is heavier and a gas system gun so it kicks less. The benelli is lighter, so is nicer to carry hunting. Neither one is as reliable as a pump gun. They need more cleaning maintance and can be fussy with cheap shells. my :twocents:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Around the $1000-1200 mark you've got to be careful. A friend bought one of the fancy Remingtons and it has been back to the factory twice for misfeeds and cutting hulls. They say they can't get it to reproduce so they send it back without work. He has had it happen with cheap Walmart bulk packs and Black Cloud.

When I bought my semi-auto, I was looking for a CZ 712 (suppose to be a great shotgun under $500) but nobody local had one. If you want to see how the gun preforms...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvVCLuV2x04

I ended up picking up an H&R SA1128. It is the H&R Excell Auto 5 (Sarsilmaz...Turkish made). It is now imported by USSG (might just be the Baikal with different markings). I haven't put a ton of rounds through it but the way it has functioned so far, it is a great buy @ around $330 after taxes. Came with the 28" barrel and 4 chokes. There was a combo that came with the 24" slug barrel too, I've been trying to find one for awhile now.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The ONLY issue I've had with an 1100 was a MAGNUM running regular low brass shells with an overly oily mag tube (not wiped off- was in storage). A wipe of my camo shirt and it ran fine. It was a 1985 model, unfired (when I got it around '95).

I shot it for trap, doves, yotes, turkeys and geese..............never a problem.

No problems with my trap or field models.

In fact, I've only replaced ONE rubber ring, this on my latest purchase, right from the start (due to whatever chewed it up when owned by somebody else). Thousands of rounds on my others, and they ran the original rings.

Steel shot, low brass, in a MAGNUM bbl didn't cycle but duh............I was just testing that. It'd cycle low brass lead though :)

They do seem slow, heavy and noisy........but my two trap models, 3 magnums, and two field models have been flawless.

Considering my new Mossberg 500 Regal (1985?) screwed up on me twice one day rabbit hunting, and once another day (extraction/feed- was a new gun when i got it though)................That's 3 fails on a pump gun (one rig) and one operator error on an 1100.

So.............after owning dozens of pumps and autos (no 1187s) ;).............by my stats, the autos have been BETTER than the pumps (but fail rate very small) :)

You want to shoot triples on geese or doves..............auto makes it a lot easier ;)

Live for the triple.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    Rem 1187 and a Benelli both are nice guns, I have both with the Remmy set up for field use and the Benelli is all tactical. Never had a problem with either.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I've a Beretta A390 that I bought from Wallys several years ago, with the black plastic stock and foregrip. It has been a super shooter for hunting and it will shoot all kinds of low brass without cycling problems. The only thing it doesn't shoot is 3-1/2" shells, but I've never had a need to shoot those anyway

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I've owned several semi auto shotguns over the years, and the most reliable with low brass goes to the Inertia Drive stuff. Currently running a Franchi I12, and couldn't be happier with it's performance. I can shoot clay birds all day, and my shoulder isn't pulverized afterwards. Surprisingly, I'd say my Saiga 12 is nearly as reliable, but I've put some work into it such as polished where the bolt carrier and trigger meet, MD ARMS gas plug, etc....

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    I have both a 12 and a 20 gauge 1187, and quite frankly, I'm amazed at the difference. My 12 can't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside, but the 20 will literally drive tacks. I tried everything with the 12 ................nothing. :( After seeing the total destruction of my deer last year with the 20, I'll never hunt with anything else in Indiana. If you're not getting the hint, you need to think about 20 gauge, as it is a spectacular round, and there is lots of different ammo available. I personally like Winchester Rackmasters, as they are devastating, as well as highly acurate. They may not be as fast as some other sabots, but I prefer dead on accuracy. :yesway:

hunter46140

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I myself am a 1100 man. I own 2. I also own a mossberg 9200 and have owned an 1187. If you are having cycling probs, try one thing before you spend the $. Have it cleaned and replace all the o rings. They do deteriorate over time.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    If I allocated $1.5k - $2k for a semi-auto, the 930SPX might *not* have been my choice. At <$600, it was.

930SPX3.jpg

Top Bottom