• ...and so much more!
  • cmcate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Greenfield
    Hi all,

I'm new to the forums, but have had a pretty decent amount of exposure to guns in the past few years. I currently own a Glock 17, Walther P22, Kimber Eclipse Target II, S&W M&P 15, and a Mossberg 500A. I typically carry my P22 because of its size and concealability. I think I'd like to get a stronger handgun to carry though.

I am very attracted to the XD; I love the look, and especially like the idea of the grip safety (can't have any Plaxico accidents happening when I conceal carry). I am interested in your opinion on the different models of the XD though. I'm leaning toward the .357 or the .40 right now. I'd like to stay away from the .45 since I'm a broke college student, and that ammo is pretty expensive (not to mention I already have a .45 in my Kimber). I suppose I'd be open to 9mm, but I did kind of want to diversify my collection.

I had a couple of questions too:

1) I read that the .357 is discontinued. Is there any truth to this? If so, is the discontinuation perpetual, or do they have plans on bringing it back?

2) I understand if I buy a .40 I can also change the barrel out to .357. Can I go from a .357 to a .40, or for that matter, go from a 9mm to .357 by changing the barrel? I wasn't sure if the sizes of the handgun were any different.

Thank you guys for your time!

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    i would go with the .40 because the ammo is easier to find and cheaper. the .357 sig round is nice and i dont see it going anywhere, but it is pretty expensive and can be hard to find. good luck in your decision.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I also say stick with the .40. I have seen more of it on the shelfs then 9mm. The .357 sig is a good round, my Dad has one in an Xd. However finding ammo can be tricky at times and it's expensive. I love my .40 Xd service, it's my main carry gun. You could always get a 9mm conversion barrel down the road if you choose to do so.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    You don't carry the Glock 17? It's easier to do then you think. Why not try the Baby Glocks since you already own one? A G27 or G33 can shoot all three (.40, 357S, 9mm) with the correct barrels, or of course the G26 (9mm). Honestly, the XD isn't any safer considering a grip safety only works if you don't have a grip on the gun. Most negligent discharges are due to bad trigger discipline, which a grip safety does not prevent. And no, the .357 sig isn't discontinued, although it never has been exceptionally common.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    On a positive note, the most recent two 1500s I've attended had .357SIG 4" XDs for like 325-350 bucks. It was at the used section of a booth that had green tags. ZX Guns maybe? The firearm had 10 rounders instead of the normal capacity but the price was right. You can swap out the .357SIG barrel for a .40S&W or 9mm.

If you are concerned about price, 9mm might not be a bad away to go.. it is a highly effective round and follow up shots are easier to do than with a lot of other calibers. More money for more rounds equals more practice.

cmcate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Greenfield
    Thank you all very much for your insight. Very speedy responses!

I kind of figured .40 was easier to come by. I called Elmore's, Gander Mountain, Bradis, and Pop Guns and nobody carried the .357 (but they all had .40 and 9mm). I didn't take into account the rarity of the ammo--thanks for the heads up.

Jesse: I don't carry the Glock for a combination of two reasons. First, it weighs a lot more than my P22. I know the XD will outweigh the P22, but I'm not sure how much it weighs in relation to the Glock. The second reason is because of the safety. The glock was my first gun, and I love it to death, but I'm a little wary about the safety. When you mentioned the grip safety works only when you don't have a grip on the gun, did you mean an aftermarket add-on? I didn't have any plans to add one. My brother-in-law uses a grip on one of his guns, and while it's nice and comfy, I don't think I shoot enough to warrant one. It's good to know that the .357 isn't discontinued.

And boy, if I could get away with spending $350 for an XD in good condition, I'd be ecstatic. Thanks for the heads up on that. I might have to wait until March for the next show.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    When you mentioned the grip safety works only when you don't have a grip on the gun, did you mean an aftermarket add-on?
    No, what I meant was that as soon as your hand touches the gun, the grip safety is off. Most NDs happen when the gun is being held. A grip safety only works if the trigger is pulled without a hand being on the grip (ex. the gun falling). I would have no issue with that, but you don't think the Glock is "safe" enough. I'm just curious as to why you would think a grip safety would make the gun significantly safer. As an added bonus, your G17 mags would work with a Glock 26, and would make great backup magazines.

cmcate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Greenfield
    Ah I see. I wasn't ever very concerned about a ND while the gun was in my hand. I've never been in a situation, and don't plan to (not that anybody does) be in a situation that requires me to pull out my firearm. I guess my biggest phobia was it being discharged while holstering it. I know it's silly, and I know the chances are very slim that it would ever happen, but it erks me. I guess it would just give me a little added peace of mind is all.

I didn't consider the added convenience of both guns using the same magazine. I will say that I am not crazy about the look of the sub-compact Glocks though.

cmcate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Greenfield
    Sorry if posting again is against forum policy.

Lack9090: Thanks for the PM. I cannot respond to PM's until I have 15 posts. I tried calling Indy Trading Post, but they did not answer (I imagine they might be closed). How much did you pay there?

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    everybody has giving you good advice but I most also tell you that before you buy a .40 handgun I highly recomend to shoot one, the .40S&W is not for everyone. while a good round it has its own personality and you may or not like it, I had my share of .40's but they are all gone now and my SD weapons are 9mm and .45acp.

cmcate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Greenfield
    venenoindy: That's true too. My brother-in-law has a .40 Glock, and I like it pretty well. I fully intend to purchase multiple barrels for the gun when I have a little extra cash though. It's hard to argue the chepness of 9mm ammo though. Why do these decisions have to be so hard? >.<

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    cmcate,

If you go with .40 you could get a 9mm barrel for practice, or even carry, for much less then the cost of two guns. Spreading the cost out over time will make it hurt less as well. Though right now, .40 seems to be only marginally more expensive then 9mm.

As far as the grip safety goes, while what jesse485 is true there is a very widely used handling practice with grip safety equipped handguns that lets the safety work for you even when you are holding it. Upon holstering or any time you are handling the weapon when you don't intend to fire let your thumb rest on the rear of the slide(where the striker indicator is located on the xd) and your palm on the heel of the grip. This will keep the grip safety activated providing that extra measure of safety in addition to proper trigger finger discipline.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    2) I understand if I buy a .40 I can also change the barrel out to .357. Can I go from a .357 to a .40, or for that matter, go from a 9mm to .357 by changing the barrel? I wasn't sure if the sizes of the handgun were any different.
    You can convert between .40SW and .357 Sig, they share the same platform. You can convert from 40/357 to 9mm but not other way around.

cmcate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Greenfield
    Great info guys. I really appreciate it. I think I'm leaning toward a .357/.40 and also purchasing a conversion barrel for 9mm. I didn't know that there was a small difference in price between .40 and 9mm. That's fantastic news

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Great info guys. I really appreciate it. I think I'm leaning toward a .357/.40 and also purchasing a conversion barrel for 9mm. I didn't know that there was a small difference in price between .40 and 9mm. That's fantastic news

Yeah, at least where I'm at .40 is running about $15.00 a box and 9mm is running about $12.00 a box.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I own a 9mm and .40 XD sub compact. They are wonderful firearms, and depending on the generation of Glock, they have more features than Glocks. XD'x fit my hand better as well.

I was certain you could put a 9mm barrel in the .40. I'm not sure about .357 in the .40.

I use an IWB Don Hume for carry or a Smart Carry in the summertime.

.40 ammo has been easier to find than 9mm here in Fishers for the last 2-3 months. Forty cal is available in bulk at the gun shows as well. Nine is still going to be cheaper, but .40 is a better defense caliber. I don't want to be shot by either. You can't go wrong with an XD no matter what cal you choose.

cmcate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Greenfield
    Well, I made my purchase today.

Let's see if this works...

Purchased the gun new from Bradis. I plan on buying a 9MM conversion kit when money is a little bit less tight.

Thanks for all of the info again everyone :)

Top Bottom