• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    What is the preferred blade of choice for the knife crowd when it comes to camping/hiking, playing in the woods, or even a SHTF type pack setup? Do you all prefer a large chopper or a tomahawk? It is a given that most people on here already will have a field knife or another small blade so what about your large workhorse? My current way of thinking is toward buying my first tomahawk but I really like some of the large choppers so I am asking for other opinions from people who have tried different methods.

Thanks

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    For that sort of work I prefer using a bow saw, it's much quicker & I can cut more wood with less effort.

drbarnes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Kokomo
    I would say chopper, but you may cut yourself.... how about some safety point fiskar scissors

1015513883.jpg

Boomstick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    I prefer first a 20" wetterlings camp axe, then my large chopper, in that order. In the scenario that I already have my field knife then chopper gets left at home, pack axe comes with me, darn near same weight and way more useful

releo 37

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    I think most guys have one of each. They each excel in certian tasks but not everything, a big chopper and a hawk or small axe doesn't cut brush real well but a machete doesn't split wood as good as a big chopper or hawk/axe but you can get by with one or the other or a combo of any of the two

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Camping / Hiking - depends on the situation. Long term camping with lots of firewood needed a hatchet over a chopper.

Playing in the woods - chopper very versatile.

SHTF type pack setup - chopper very versatile as both a tool and a weapon, ESEE Junglas preferred.

I see a tomahawk as a specialized weapon with limited tool capabilities. JMHO

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    For all purpose task, I usually pack along a large Busse, but have had great results with all 3 types of tools. The reason I don't usually carry a machete or hawk is I find they are not as comfortable clipped to the belt. My current SHTF setup is a Sarsquatch, Sar 3, in a Chuddy Bear drop ring rig, courtesy of INGO member Ichokepeople.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Machete. It's lighter and thinner. When "chopping" velocity and technique count for more than a heavy blade. The thinner blade will cut deeper with each swinggetting through a branch faster than a big chopper. When my machetes is freshly sharpened I can swing through 1-1/2" limbs in sometimes one stroke. It will still work for battoning through larger pieces of wood, but will not split as well as an axe for the really seasoned wood. If you are near Lafayette I can let you try a dogfather and an Ontario machette. I think performance is it own salemen. Plus the machete is lighter and longer. So less weight to pack or more room for something else. And the extra reach can be useful when trying to get brush out of the way.

coachwill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Birmingham, AL
    I have a couple of options with different bags and gear that is ready to roll.

I have a SOG Tomahawk and a couple of different Gerber Machettes that are packed or stowed on gear bags for different things. When I am out scouting or setting up firing lanes on deer stands I have the Tomahawk and a longer Gerber Gator Machette with me at all times. When I am out camping I usually have a the shorter Gerber Gator Machette and an axe for splitting or preparing wood for the fire.

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Here is what I carry in my bag.

IMAG0498.jpg

The blade on the left is my favorite I carry it most every where.

The hatchet I have had for years and just found it a few weeks ago. It got added to my kit when I found it.

The machete was bought for camping and it works great for cutting smaller trees.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Here is what I carry in my bag.

IMAG0498.jpg

The blade on the left is my favorite I carry it most every where.

The hatchet I have had for years and just found it a few weeks ago. It got added to my kit when I found it.

The machete was bought for camping and it works great for cutting smaller trees.

That Sir must be a very heavy pack indeed.

Top Bottom