• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I once read a book entitled The Science of God that explained how God created the universe in 7 days that took 4.5 billion years (or thereabouts, I really don't remember exactly) using Einstein's theory of relativity. Basically, time slows down with huge amounts of mass and/or incredibly high velocity; both were present at the "Big Bang."

However, if I tell you that my wife is a beautiful woman, I am telling the truth. I would absolutely pass any lie detector test when I say that. Since my wife is 60 years old and is not quite as slim as she was when we married, someone else might describe her differently. I would describe the woman I KNOW, they would judge by what they SEE.

In a similar fashion, the Bible tells the story of God's interaction with God's creation. It does not tell exactly how God created. I wouldn't look in my car's owners manual for a map to Chicago and I wouldn't look in the Bible for a history of the earth. I would look in the car's owners manual for how to change a headlight and I would look in the Bible for how to relate to God.

But, if you want to speculate, I see no harm...

Doug

Last edited:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Carbon dating is a joke, discount that/their opinion right off the bat. This

One thought, the Bible does not tell how long Adam and Eve dwelt with the Lord in the Garden before the fall. That needs to be taken into consideration.

However Genesis does say that Adam died at the age of 930, so that can be our standard deviation

The Bible states 'One day the Lord came walking' could it be 10 years, or ten decades before the forbidden and fruit?

Could it be another 500 years, or 1 day AFTER the fruit was ate?

Either way, there is not a time line; and, Adam and Eve were immortal before the curse... so we have no measurement.

I believe earth is less than 10,000 years old,
    however isn't the question of eternity more appropriate. ;)

LCPer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I once read a book entitled The Science of God that explained how God created the universe in 7 days that took 4.5 billion years (or thereabouts, I really don't remember exactly) using Einstein's theory of relativity. Basically, time slows down with huge amounts of mass and/or incredibly high velocity; both were present at the "Big Bang."

However, if I tell you that my wife is a beautiful woman, I am telling the truth. I would absolutely pass any lie detector pass I say that. Since my wife is 60 years old and is not quite as slim as she was when we married, someone else might describe her differently. I would describe the woman I KNOW, they would judge by what they SEE.

In a similar fashion, the Bible tells the story of God's interaction with God's creation. It does not tell exactly how God created. I wouldn't look in my car's owners manual for a map to Chicago and I wouldn't look in the Bible for a history of the earth. I would look in the car's owners manual for how to change a headlight and I would look in the Bible for how to relate to God.

But, if you want to speculate, I see no harm...

Doug

^^THIS

electra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Greenfield
    +1 Doug . . . that's the book i was trying to cite; same author i think. Once more you got it on the bullseye for me . . .guess i'm getting too old and senile to communicate properly!!! Many Thanks!!!!

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    time has no meaning to God. ’One day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day’(2 Peter 3:8). There is a similar passage in Psalms IIRC

This.

People who want to pick fights about astrological time vs. Biblical chronology always seem to be pushing some personal agenda, not seeking truth. This applies to both "scientists" and "Christians."

I am a Christian and a scientist. The two only conflict when you have a concrete-minded understanding of one or the other (or both).

I wouldn't look in my car's owners manual for a map to Chicago and I wouldn't look in the Bible for a history of the earth. I would look in the car's owners manual for how to change a headlight and I would look in the Bible for how to relate to God.

Yes, yes, yes. This says what I wanted to say, but better. Repp'd.

electra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Greenfield
    Sorry for the error, folks. The older i get, the more sure i am of how little i know . . .

but i do know this:

"Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana" - Groucho Marx

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Carbon dating is a joke, discount that/their opinion right off the bat.

How do you figure? I agree, it is entirely the wrong process for dating the Earth. Radiocarbon dating is only good for about 58,00 years back or so, and not terribly accurate within that. C-14 has a half-life of 5,730 years. Also, it is most useful for dating things that were once alive, and absorbed C-14.

Uranium-Lead, or even Lead-Lead, dating can be accurate within 5% at these times, so is likely a better tool, depending on the composition of the rock you are measuring. Of course, when you are talking in the billions of years, what is a few million between friends?

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Theres a couple reasons I asked. I know God is real, he tells us to preach the Gospel to all the world. He says his word will not co me back void.So you plant that seed, and start talking about salvation,and someone says," Do you believe in life on other planets?" What about dinosaurs,Atlantis,you get my point. I believe in all these things,dont know as much as I should , but someone might have some knowlege I could use to relay the message that would make sense to me and a unbeilever.
    I believe everyone will agree we're living in the last days, no better time in history to bring up God ,as one of the first thing a stranger will say now days is Something negative about the economy and how they cant see things lasting much longer.
    In my experience,if you ask if they know Jesus as there personal Savior and they say no. One of the subjects I mentioned will usually come up,as a reason they dont believe in the Bible.

rlspach

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Depends whether you view the creation story as a literal representation or not. I do not, for many of the reasons outlined here:

Genesis creation myth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unfortunately, many folks believe that anything less than a literal interpretation compromises their faith, even though they seem more than willing to accept other "parables" as stories of morality.

This would contradict other physical evidence. I'll go with that - approximately 4.5 Billion years old.

I would ask, why is a literal interpretation important? It is the moral embedded in the story that matters anyway.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Depends whether you view the creation story as a literal representation or not. I do not, for many of the reasons outlined here:

Genesis creation myth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unfortunately, many folks believe that anything less than a literal interpretation compromises their faith, even though they seem more than willing to accept other "parables" as stories of morality.

This would contradict other physical evidence. I'll go with that - approximately 4.5 Billion years old.

I would ask, why is a literal interpretation important? It is the moral embedded in the story that matters anyway.

Are you saying its okay for my wife to do math and for me to eat shrimp? I don't know about your type. I bet you wear a gold watch and cotton/polyester blends!

rlspach

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    level - I have no clue what you're talking about. I have no opinions on you or your wife but you would lose your bet.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    level - I have no clue what you're talking about. I have no opinions on you or your wife but you would lose your bet.

I was being a jerk. Sorry about that. I could have issued a more measured response. :)

I think Fletch says... namaste. But, I don't think I am using the term correctly.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Are you saying its okay for my wife to do math and for me to eat shrimp? I don't know about your type. I bet you wear a gold watch and cotton/polyester blends!

I believe level.eleven was referring to some other literal interpretations of biblical text. Liviticus 11:11 is the shellfish reference. Not sure of the math reference, and the gold/polyester totally escapes me!

Top Bottom