• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    I wasn't trying to be an @$$, just making sure that wasn't where you were going. I thought maybe it was because you quoted my post. Apologies.

EDIT: Oh yes, and for the record, short of the oil, you could perform surgery with my firearms on the patient. Clean is how it should be.

I was hoping it would inline quote your post and the post you quoted, kind of just a vague response to both of them :dunno:

If television news tells us anything, it's that there are quite a few in need of that operation :laugh:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    cleaning works wonders ... chrome is'nt important these days. do a little research and you can see it.

Chrome lined are still easier and quicker to clean because they reduce lead, copper and powder build up.

According to the research I've seen, better corrosion resistance and lengthened barrel life seem well worth a negligible loss of accuracy for most every use but long range competition.

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    Based on Articles I've read in American Rifleman and some of my own experience, I think that cleaning is about the most damaging thing most barrels undergo. Dramatic examples of this are seen in Mosin-Nagants, and benchrest guns that are obsessively cleaned. The riflings at the muzzle and the crown will be worn to nothing while the rest of the barrel is in great shape. Mosins do have a specific set of circumstances that make the wear much greater.

I've also seen more than a few people that think proper firearms maintenance means dunking it in oil, and they generally can't understand why it's perpetually filthy :dunno: Just my :twocents:

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    From what I recall the reason Chrome lined/plated barrels have been tagged with the "slightly less accurate" tag are several reasons.
    When you machine a rifle barrel that is going to be plated you have to take into account the amount of space the plating will take up, so you end up with a little bit of variance.
    The other reason people have hate for chrome lining is usually their AR or what ever is not chrome lined so they take every chance they have to bash it.

The fact is Chrome plating/lining greatly adds to the reliability and corrosion resistance of any firearm.
    It aids in extraction and cycling (by not restricting the hot case in the chamber).
    A lined barrel will also have a longer life due to the chrome surface being harder than the steel itself.

The only reason that the "chrome moly" terminology came along is because it confused many people into thinking they were getting a "chromed" barrel but they were not.
    They were getting a plane ole' steel barrel with no lining.

The chroming of a barrel does cost more money and time.
    All US military rifles as well as Soviet military rifles at or around the mid 1950's started to get chrome lining. They didn't do it for no reason, it works.
    Another thing: Chrome lined barrels used to be the norm and are getting back that way. It is just that some cookie cutter discount gun makers started cutting corners at one point and switching words around so as to avoid the costs of having to line their guns.

Let's do a little run down of Chrome lined barrels in various guns:
    M1A Commercial Springfield barrel (non lined)=ok
    M1A USGI chrome lined barrel= Hell yes
    AR15 barrel from discount house non-lined moly barrel=ok
    AR15 from Colt or FN Chrome lined barrel=Hell yes
    AK47 from Century with non lined US barrel= Ok (maybe)
    AK47 from Arsenal with Chrome lined barrel=Hell yes

I could go on and on, but there is a association of quality firearms and chrome lined barrels.

Last edited:

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Chrome lining has no useful purposes, aside from military related.

Longer barrel life... If you can afford 8,000 rounds of ammo, what's a $250 barrel that anyone can swap out.
    Stainless steel and chromoly usually shoot moa or less. You might get lucky with a chrome-lined.
    And maybe I have bad luck, but I've never had a case stuck in SS or chromoly barrel but have had several brass stick in different chrome lined barrels.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Chrome lining has no useful purposes, aside from military related.

What are these military related useful purposes?
    I can't benefit from these without rejoining?

Longer barrel life... If you can afford 8,000 rounds of ammo, what's a $250 barrel that anyone can swap out.
    Well, another 1,000 rounds of ammo and less work I suppose.
    This still strikes me as more of a good civilian purpose. :dunno:

Stainless steel and chromoly usually shoot moa or less. You might get lucky with a chrome-lined.
    Guess I'm just lucky.

And maybe I have bad luck, but I've never had a case stuck in SS or chromoly barrel but have had several brass stick in different chrome lined barrels.
    *see directly above* ;)

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    What are these military related useful purposes?
    Automatic firing and jungle environments.

My brother has a chrome lined barrel that has shot half-inch groups at 100. That is the best out of 4 chrome lined I've played with.
    Two stainless steel have shot 1/4moa groups, one chromoly barrel has given me half inch groups. I have another ss barrel to play with, and I expect it will not dissapoint.

Chrome lining is easier to clean, so what, you're probably cleaning too much anyway.
    I've never cleaned a SS or chromoly chamber and have never had problems.

I don't own a chrome lined AR15 anymore because of the accuracy issues.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    So what you're saying is that if I fire enough to heat up the barrel, shoot in the mud and all sorts of nasty weather, don't enjoy cleaning, and really have no idea what any of my rifles are capable of from a benchrest... chrome lining would be a good choice, right?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    So what you're saying is that if I fire enough to heat up the barrel, shoot in the mud and all sorts of nasty weather, don't enjoy cleaning, and really have no idea what any of my rifles are capable of from a benchrest... chrome lining would be a good choice, right?

JOC, does that Glock you keep OC'ing in my store have a chrome lined barrel? :D

Smartass remarks aside, I'm trying to decide if a chrome lined barrel is worth the extra $$$ to me, even as we speak. I'm following this thread with interest... And I do clean my guns quite well. I just have nothing against making the task easier, and making my guns last longer if it really helps.

Cost me $45 to add a chrome lined barrel... $55 to add a chrome BCG and bolt. Advantages/disadvantages to a chromed BCG and bold?

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    If you are looking for the best accuracy, stay away from chrome lining. The dimensions of a chrome lined barrel cannot be controlled as tightly as an unlined barrel. Look at any benchrest rifle or any of the match barrels from Douglas, Hart, ect. How many of those are chrome lined? For less demanding shooting where longer life and corrosion resistance are more important chrome might be more desirable. If I had the option of chrome lined barrel or chromed bolt and BCG I would spend the money on the bolt and BCG for the corrosion resistance, better wear, and ease of cleaning.:twocents:

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    modern manufacturing processes makes getting a chrome lined barrel a waste of money you could buy ammo with.

I don't think there's be any advance in technology in the last 40 years that has rendered chrome lining obsolete, as you suggest.

I also do not think it's a waste of money at all and I would not own any AR-15 unless it was a purely match shooting or varmint hunting rifle without a chrome plated bore and chamber.

Top Bottom