• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepinGunGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    South Bend
    I called up my buddy who I share a chronograph with to burrow it this weekend and he loaned it out to another friend who promptly shot it to pieces with a 308. So what do you guys have,like,want? Im a poor white boy with 5 kids 8 grandkids and a lot of bad habits so im looking for bang for your buck and mostly for pistol use. What would you recomend and from where?

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    You may want to call Steve at Granger Guns. Last time i was in there he had a few on the shelf at reasonable prices. Usually the budget brand is the Chrony models but work very well.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i have a cedm2. i have nothing to compare it to but its never done me wrong yet. i bought a bunch of extra posts for it because if you have a chrono you will knick it from time to time. hopfully you miss the scensors so it doesn't get to pricy

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    After having three Shooting Chronys over the years I bought a Competition Electronics Pro Digital. I have never had an "error" message with the Digital Pro and it is not so sensitive to shot placement above the sensors and light sources as the Shooting Chrony units. The Digital Pro is easier to navigate/delete individual shots or strings compared to the Shooting Chronys.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I use an Oehler 35P most often, although I have a CED M2 that I like as well. The CED replaced a PACT XP, and the CED is more reliable in more conditions. It also easily interfaces with RSI's software.

Chrony is junk.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    I use an Oehler 35P most often, although I have a CED M2 that I like as well. The CED replaced a PACT XP, and the CED is more reliable in more conditions. It also easily interfaces with RSI's software.

Chrony is junk.
    +1 on the Oehler and the CED, those are what I use.
    The Shooting Chronys are entry level, period.

Mech45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    NWI
    Oehler 35 is the best overall in my opinion and the P model comes with a printer. I think they are back in production and are going for between $500 & $600. I have a PVM-21 but it is twice what the Qehler is going for and the Oehler wasn't available when I was in the market.

Chris

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I have a Chrony and it works fine.

What is it you guys don't like about them?

Fine as compared with what?

Their shortcomings include:
    - The sensors are not very sensitive
    - They need a relatively large amount of light to function
    - The hinge design is their main dereliction in that when open the distance between the sensors depends on the two halves of lightweight metal frame bearing against one another. If your chronograph folds, it had better unfold repeatably, and Chornys don't.
    - They have some exposed wiring looms that are easily ruined by people like me.

A shooting buddy once left one at my place and I tried to use it. Neither of us were broken hearted when it didn't make it through the day.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I just bought this one
    ProChrono Digital Chronograph

I also bought the usb interface.

I have not yet received them but I am anxious to try it out on some reloads. I just started reloading and I want o get some feedback on my first powder charges as I work up. I am also shooting berry's plated bullets so I want to keep the speed where I want it.

I don't know anything that can really answer your question. But I just looked at something that seemed reasonably priced for how often I think that I will really use it. I think that after I get my load data down then I probably will rarely use it. So I didn't want to spend to much but I also didn't want a total pice of junk.

personally, I think that the remote control and the USB interface is too expensive but I bought the USB anyway. If I did not have a place to shoot my test shots privately then I probably would not have bought one. Taking it to the range with a bunch of other people on the line doesn't sound like a very easy place to use it since you may have to mess with it pretty often. IF you don't have a way to control it from the bench then it would just be a pain.

ALSO - I don't want to be at the range with it when I put a 40 S&W right through the front data panel.:D but that's just me;)

I will probably be firing some rounds over it next weekend. If you have not made our choice by then I will come back and let you know what I think of this one.

Top Bottom