• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I know that carrying at church has been discussed many times here and that carrying on church property that includes a daycare is prohibited; but what is considered 'daycare property'? Here is my situation. The church that I attend has a daycare that is in a separate building adjacent to the church itself. They are separated by an alley which is maintained by the city. Am I legal to carry to; and inside the church itself as long as I do not enter the daycare itself? What if I park across the alley in the lot next to the building with the daycare and cross the alley and go into the church, am I OK in the parking lot?

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    My question would be, Why would you want to? Not trying to be smart either.
    For the same reasons that I would carry anywhere else. Crime can and does happen everywhere. I'll admit, the probability of a violent crime at church is very low, but it can and has happened. Not to mention being able to carry to and from.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    JcJ,
    nice link. I definitely realize there have been shootings at churches, the google page kind of helps me actually "see" them together like that.

DesertDoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2008
    Central Indiana
    From a legal stand point you have an interesting question. Im not sure what the answer would be. Sounds like a good question for the gun lawyer. I will say that I totally support carrying to church. I always do and did this morning. j-frame in ankle holster. Best luck with finding a solution.

55spartan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Southern IN
    I carry in church. There are a great deal of emotions brought forth in church with members and NON-attending spouses and such. I carry there like I carry anywhere, be smart and be ready. I consider myself a full blown sheepdog.

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    djl02, that is a worthless comment that can only be meant to start a fight or to bump your post count.

Habib, I am not a lawyer, but I did live at a Holiday In Express for a summer. If the alley is still under city control then the properties are separate units. I would say that you should be good to go. However until you speak with an Attorney about this I would make sure that concealment and caution are taken. If something happens, and I certainly hope it does not, no matter the law, the court of public opinion ought to be on your side.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Contact the church leadership if you want to guarantee being in the clear. If those in charge of the school put you in the position of providing security, you are exempt from that law on that property. If you want to make it attractive to them, agree that the "pay" for them to employ you in that position shall be one dollar per week and that you want the full amount subtracted from your net pay and deposited in the collection plate. ;)

IANAL
    IDPOOTV
    IDSIAHIELN
    TINLA

Homeless, it could also be him just doing the online equivalent of "thinking out loud", rather than attempting to start a fight or bump a post count. I don't know what the purpose of the post is, but it does do what the minimum-post-count rule is supposed to do: It lets us get to know that facet of djl's mindset and thinking.

Speaking for myself, I don't attend an organized worship service (and no, that has nothing to do with the service having organ music! :):) but if I did and found that I could not carry there, I would cease going to that service.

I have no intention to start or continue any fights and I think my post count is plenty high :rofl:. It's just one detail about me; I don't like going places where I have to be defenseless. In most cases, I can make the choice not to do so. In some others, (such as a workplace) that choice is made uncomfortable enough that it is more to my benefit to have it nearby and to protect myself in other ways.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I just taught a CPR class for a church East of Indy... out in the country, and they have put several of there ushers through an abbreviated pistol course and they all now CC in church... and they are keeping it hush hush to the rest of the membership.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    No, I just have never known anyone to carry in church,I'm a member of Graceland Baptist Church ,have been for 24 years.Been involved in Prison Ministry .I never even considered carrying in church. Its about having Faith I guess . Just think about it,what does it say to people about putting their Faith in God for Salvation.

IMHO, it says nothing about my salvation. I have complete faith in God for the path of my life. I also know that he has equipped me with different things in my life so I can do His work. Owning and carrying firearms is just one part of that equation. I guess for the sake of comparison, think about this, I have faith that God will keep me fed and a roof over my head. But I still have to go to work to earn money for those things. Bad things happen every where because God gave each of us free will. There will always be people that try to impose their will against ours.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    No, I just have never known anyone to carry in church,I'm a member of Graceland Baptist Church ,have been for 24 years.Been involved in Prison Ministry .I never even considered carrying in church. Its about having Faith I guess . Just think about it,what does it say to people about putting their Faith in God for Salvation.
    At the risk of jacking my own thread, to me it says nothing about Salvation. Salvation comes from Gods grace and Christ's willing sacrifice for my sins, not my ability to protect the life and family that God has blessed me with.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    To the OP:

On the surface, it would indeed seem that you're "legal" due to the city-maintained alley between the buildings. An alley is a roadway...and roadways also legally separate someone's home from a school. (Homeowner who lives directly across from a school can legally have firearms at home)

However, keep in mind that the parking lot associated with the licensed daycare is also verboten. Park elsewhere.

-J-

55spartan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Southern IN
    djl02, that is a worthless comment that can only be meant to start a fight or to bump your post count.
    Ditto on the worthless comment, sounds like a 12 year old, also his last comment inferring people that carry guns in church somehow don't have as strong as faith as him. I don't know where he is coming from but he needs to think before he posts. Sounds like he just likes to be a scheis stirrer

Last edited:

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    What I'm not sure about is who actually owns the alley. I know that the city would not allow the church build a walkway between the buildings, but I don't know if the city owns the alley or if they just have an easement, or if that even matters. What further complicates things is that the part of the alley that is between the buildings is paved along with the parking lot. The rest of the alley is gravel. It's not obvious that part is part of the alley it looks like the rest of the parking lot.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    OP, it might be worth talking to someone at the city as to the "ownership" of the alley. Like perhaps the city surveyor?

-J-

Top Bottom