• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    I for one - do not see this as a discussion of religion - and more of a discussion of how best to carry in one particular set of circumstances. The circumstances under consideration being that one is in a house of worship (and I would also include any similar location and paint that with a pretty broad brush). Foe example:

My principles are as follows:
    1) I am armed wherever I legally can be.
    2) If I am in a place where people are engaged in PRIVATE thoughtful meditation, prayer, heavy duty study, or whatever - out of courtesy to them, I will not OC so I don't become a distraction to their reason for being there. That, to me , is part of being a considerate human being. And I don't care if they are studying Darwin, Zoroaster, Buddha, the Bible, or the Great Pumpkin. It's a matter of courtesy.

Anyone that enters such a place has a reasonable expectation that they will be free from undue distraction. And I choose not to violate that - and make an ass of myself and be a distraction.

3) If I'm in a PUBLIC place, such as a restaurant, I will OC or CC as I choose (and no, I'm not starting that whole flaming pile of OC vs. CC iguana droppings!) There is no legitimate expectation in a place like that of any bigtime freedom from distraction.

I choose to be as even-handed as I possibly can be in how I apply things.

My personal belief system dictates that I "claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of my own conscience, AND ALLOW ALL MEN THE SAME PRIVILEGE - let them worship how, where or what they may (and I would add - or may not!)" If I would like others to be courteous and respectful to me - I have to accord them the same courtesy.

It's pretty simple, really.

Last edited:

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    I always carry unless I am legally prohibited. It is a part of my daily routine, just like putting on my watch and sticking my wallet in my back pocket. I asume this means I am covered under the " just as I am" clause when I go to church.

I have visited 8 different local areas churches in the last year and CCed like I normally do without issue.

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    I have been carrying in my church f for 2 yrs. recently I has second thoughts. I just realized across the parking lot is a school. so now I wonder if it's legal.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I carry every Sunday. My church has a daycare, but it does not meet the legal definition of a school per Indiana law. I frequently OC when I'm out and about, but I CC at church out of respect of the church's wishes. The pastor and many on the board know that I and others carry. It has never been an issue.

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    Our granddaughter had her first holy communion yesterday at St. Pauls in Bloomington, IN. Gun free zone, on campus and I carried cc. Key words are GUN FREE ZONE and I had no issues carrying.

jkwparrott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Corydon, IN
    I'm an elder at my church and I carry every time I am there. Of course I carry everywhere, usually I OC, but at church I CC, as I do anyplace I feel I could be a distraction. The only places I do not carry are the ones where it is not legal to carry. Some people at church know I carry, but most are unaware. Most know I am ex military and also ex LEO, so they probably would not be surprised to find out.

Do a little research and you'll find that there were over 100 shootings in churches in the US last year, so in my opinion it's just common sense to protect myself and my family there as I would anywhere.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    Does anyone have a thought on CC to church when the church has a k-12 school on the same property?

I know you cannot carry to a school or to a church that has a registered daycare but since the school and the church are kinda separate i didnt know how the law was viewed.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Does anyone have a thought on CC to church when the church has a k-12 school on the same property?

I know you cannot carry to a school or to a church that has a registered daycare but since the school and the church are kinda separate i didnt know how the law was viewed.

A school is ALWAYS a school, as per IC. It does not matter if it is also a church. If they share property, or are owned by the same entity (as in a church-run school), then the WHOLE thing is a school.

There is no such thing as "kinda separate". It is either school by law, or not.

And yes, this is a bad law. :(

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Just get written permission and you're good to go.

And now a little :stickpoke:

I find it interesting so many here state, "I carry OC in public but always CC at Church."

To me, it seems as if these people have no problem rustling feathers of the general public at Walmart or BW3's, but put them in a situation where they're with people they know and respect and watch how they change their tune.

Me, I almost always CC (Because I don't want to get shot first), but I'm thinking OC at Church is the way to go. Why?

1. The pastor, most of the elders and deacons all know I carry.
    2. Church members are upset if for some reason I DO NOT carry.
    3. We have a paid LEO that OC's, so why shouldn't I?

__Doc_

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Henry Co
    It's been discussed before, but yes, I carry.
    However
    1. please don't open carry - not because I'm infringing on your rights, but because anytime spent looking at your gun is time not spent worshipping/learning about God.

2. Make sure your church is not an official daycare. If it is, leave it at home.

3. If you do carry, keep an eye on the exit, (i sit in a "tactical" area where I see the parking lot and the lot cant see me) if someone comes in looking for easy targets, it may be you who's called upon to love your neighbor as Christ loved the church (means dying)

4. Never a bad idea to talk to your pastor, you may learn that you're not the only one!

I think this pretty much sums it up.
    Try to CC out of respect to other members that are not so familiar with firearms. Recently it happened at my church and a few members left because they didn't feel comfortable with the guy carrying. Just because you carry a gun doesnt automatically make your a responsible citizen. I don't trust many people that carry guns for obvious safety issues. There is always that 'one guy'

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    tnichools00 I'm in the same boat as you . The school is a separate building but they have a common parking lot. hopefully ill find a local Leo and ask

Do NOT take a Leo's word for it.:(
    It could end badly.
    Read the laws, and make your own decision.

Always carry where legally allowed and never tell.

monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    Yep I do. My minister knows I have my carry license and assumes I've got something on me at all times. Our youth minister has his permit. If I had to guess I'd think there are at least 6 more guns in the audience, though it has never been discussed. I also know a minister who carries a .32apc pistol in his back pocket while on the job Sunday morning.

Top Bottom