• ...and so much more!
  • Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Cicada Brood XIX & XIII 2024 will emerge simultaneously this year: Brood XIX (the 13-year cicadas) and Brood XIII (the 17-year cicadas).

Brood XIX, according to Cicada Mania, is expected to emerge in the spring of 2024 in Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Missouri, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240113-200357_Facebook.jpg
      Screenshot_20240113-200357_Facebook.jpg
      239.2 KB · Views: 5

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    giphy.gif

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Cicadas ×2 + tinnitus should drive me insane.

I've heard they make good fishing lures, but have never gone down that path.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I think I saw where most of Indiana won't be getting the double whammy. Illinois, or at least parts of it will IIRC.
    I was thinking I saw a map awhile back that included us in the apololypse?

Seems like the last big outbreak we had was in full swing by now. Those bugs were loud that year.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I was thinking I saw a map awhile back that included us in the apololypse?

Seems like the last big outbreak we had was in full swing by now. Those bugs were loud that year.
    It's been a bit since I saw it and I don't remember where it was. I was thinking that southern Indiana might get it, so you may be affected.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Shows me in the red
    That's just brood XIII, not the double emergence they've been talking about.

"The U.S. Forest Service predicted an emergence of Brood XIII cicadas, a 17-year occurrence, in northern Illinois, southern Wisconsin, northwestern Indiana, southwestern Michigan and eastern Iowa. At the same time, 13-year Brood XIX cicadas are emerging in central Illinois and much of Missouri. Parts of central Illinois may see an overlap of the two broods."

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    That's just brood XIII, not the double emergence they've been talking about.

"The U.S. Forest Service predicted an emergence of Brood XIII cicadas, a 17-year occurrence, in northern Illinois, southern Wisconsin, northwestern Indiana, southwestern Michigan and eastern Iowa. At the same time, 13-year Brood XIX cicadas are emerging in central Illinois and much of Missouri. Parts of central Illinois may see an overlap of the two broods."
    So far nothing more than crickets. But we get cicadas every year. Just not buying the hype

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I have an acre near Lowell in south lake county and most of my trees have thousands of live and dead ones around the base of each one. I know several people within 10 miles of me that have none. They are so loud that they are making people crazy. A neighbor went kind of nuts from the noise and started harassing other neighbors and they had to call the cops on him,

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I have an acre near Lowell in south lake county and most of my trees have thousands of live and dead ones around the base of each one. I know several people within 10 miles of me that have none. They are so loud that they are making people crazy. A neighbor went kind of nuts from the noise and started harassing other neighbors and they had to call the cops on him,
    I have a friend in the Lowell area that shared a picture of her peony bush absolutely covered with them.

Top Bottom