• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NIGHTRIDER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    on the road
    One area of my yard is a nesting ground for at least 25 nests this year.The brood chart does not show 2016 as a peak 13 or 17 cycle year.Any one else got large numbers? Just heard my first cicada this morning.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Cicada killers

No cicadas here, but every year I release praying mantises egg sacks into my yard to cut down the bugs. A mantis will kill everything including cicadas.

fly-eaten-by-preying-mantis.jpg

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    We used to have scores of them, so I started to let the grass grow longer. That seems to have discouraged them.

It seemed they were most active around 4 - 6 pm so I would often set out a sprinkler and start it when I saw the first activity of the day.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    We have a couple of them at work. I've sat outside on lunch and they've landed on my shoe and I've got one where he'll almost land in my hand.

They look mean, buy they're harmless unless you're a cicada or you step on them barefoot.

Last edited:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    13 and 17 year cicadas ( usually the all-black ones with red eyes) are not out every year, but there are a number of annual and shorter-period (3, 5, 7, years) that can be found each summer. Cicada killers have no way of knowing when big brood emergences will be. Usually if there are a lot of them it's because hunting was good last year. Males can't sting, but good luck telling them from females. The only people I ever heard were stung by them either stepped on them or purposely antagonized them. They are usually even-tempered - unlike yellow jackets.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    On the open ground, they leave a pretty distinctive large, ant hill like, mound around their burrows. Not uncommon to find dead cicada hulls left at the entrance.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Just saw some yesterday and have multiple burrows/nests in my yard. I've only had this house a year and a few months and I definitely don't remember seeing any last year.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Curious. Where do you get ahold of praying mantis egg sacks?

Search online. They are easy to find in the spring. You buy egg cases which contain 50-200 eggs (most of which die before maturity). They are indiscriminate eaters, eating pretty much any insect: good, bad, or each other.

Top Bottom