• ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I got a free 10 pack of a cigar called "CUBAN REJECTS"

The cigars are a Toro sized cigar, approximately 6" long by a 50 ring gauge. Honestly I have no clue what the origin of the wrapper, filler or binder is on these cigars. This is a $2 cigar that appears to be hand rolled.

Normally I don't smoke $2 cigars but as these are freebies I'm always willing to give a free cigar a try. I have to say this is NOT A BAD CIGAR in terms of flavor. Its actually a pretty enjoyable smoke, the intensity of the cigar is MILD-to-MEDIUM. The burn is very even and the ash holds for about an inch before falling under its own weight. The wrapper is reasonably pliable but I have had some cracks near the mouth end of the cigar while smoking (but not bad cracks).

The one thing I really DISLIKE about the cigar is it is made with SHORT FILLER. Cigars can be made with either LONG FILLER or SHORT FILLER. Short filler is basically trimmed pieces of tobacco that come from the cuttings during the rolling process. The cuttings are saved, blended, and then used in lower priced cigars as filler tobacco. LONG FILLER is what the name implies, long pieces of tobacco that extend from the mouth to the foot of the cigar, as the foot end is trimmed, those trimming become the pieces used for short filler. So the quality of the tobacco used as SHORT FILLER may be very high quality, but they are simply small pieces. Now the downside of SHORT FILLER is that as you smoke the cigar little bits of tobacco tend to fall out of the end and into your mouth. LONG FILLER simply doesn't do that and no high quality cigar is ever made with SHORT FILLER. However, short filler or long filler does not really contribute a lot to the flavor of the cigar so a short filler cigar can taste very good if the wrapper (the part that contributes most to the flavor) is of high quality.

This cigar tastes good. Like I said, its a MILD to MEDIUM intensity, the flavor is not a stand out flavor, but neither is it harsh or biting. For a $2 cigar this is really not a bad choice.

Anyone looking for a good tasting, easy to smoke economy version of a premium cigar may want to look these up. I honestly have no clue where to buy them (again I got them free). They may be found in bundles of 10 (that is how mine came) and probably would retail for under $20 for the bundle?

I've smoked a few of these and they are consistent in flavor, quality of construction and wrapper. Again, not my choice because of the annoying short filler, but if that doesn't bother you and you are looking for an everyday cigar that is affordable, this is not a bad choice.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I liked em. Good, decent, CHEAP smoke, but our local place that carries em is horridly invaded by BUGS! You can barely pick up a stick that doesnt have holes eaten through the wrapper. I always order mine online.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    OK Been a long time since this was a topic as ive not smoked cigs or cigars for over 6 years. But arnt cuban cigars Illegal? Because the have marijuana and tobaco mixed in them or something like that?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OK Been a long time since this was a topic as ive not smoked cigs or cigars for over 6 years. But arnt cuban cigars Illegal? Because the have marijuana and tobaco mixed in them or something like that?

Cuban Cigars are illegal because of the trade embargo. They do not have marijuana mixed in with them. They can be legally purchased in Canada, the UK, the Caribbean, etc. They are simply not legal to buy/sell here in the USA but only because of the trade embargo.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    what can I say I enjoy reviving a dead thread now and then.
    Found some Maduros of this brand whiled "slummin'" over on the east side. There's a discount smoke shop on the corner of Emerson and Washington. bought them for about $1.50 I think.
    Probably light one up this weekend.
    Anybody else try these yet and care to give a review?

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Cuban Cigars are illegal because of the trade embargo. They do not have marijuana mixed in with them. They can be legally purchased in Canada, the UK, the Caribbean, etc. They are simply not legal to buy/sell here in the USA but only because of the trade embargo.

It is also illegal for an American citizen to smoke them in those foreign countries where they are legal. It would be hard for them to enforce that obviously but something to keep in mind.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    It is also illegal for an American citizen to smoke them in those foreign countries where they are legal. It would be hard for them to enforce that obviously but something to keep in mind.

And THAT is where I draw the line. If the government wants to ban their importation, fine. They have NO business telling me what I can and can't do when on foreign soil. Period.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I smake a good cigar on my birthday (cheaper ones the rest of the time). Birthdays coming up, any good suggestions?

Well I smoked 1/2 of a counterfeit Cohiba Domician today. It was a gift. They guy who bought them thought they were actual Dominican made Cohibas, he picked them up at a discount in Jamacia. They sucked. So I would not recommend them. I will say that, with 99.9% certainty, any discount name brand cigar purchased while on vacation in the Caribbean is going to be counterfeit and sub-par quality.

Want a good cigar and want a mild one, then go with a Macanudo if you want to spend about $8 to 10. If your budget is higher then consider an Ashton or a Dunhill. If your budget is lower then try a Nat Sherman.

Looking for something in the medium intensity range then try a Perdomo, a Romeo y Julietta, a Ted's Made by Hand or a Brickhouse.

For a full bodied cigar try a Punch, a Rocky Patel Edge or one of the 1961 series from Rocky. Partagas Black Label, Camacho or La Aroma De Cuba are tough to beat.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    If you're just starting out with cigars you might want to try a flavored cigar. If so stay away from the cheap crap at the 7/11. Instead Try something from the Drew Estate collection. Maybe a Blondie single. (Sounds kind of dirty.....) Be warned it's got a fairly sweet taste to it. I personally don't care for flavored cigars to much, but certainly go with something mild.
    Don't forget to drink something with your cigar. It will really dry you out and give you a bad taste quick if you don't. I don't drink hard stuff so I turn to a good cup of Joe.
    As with anything, no one can tell you what you like that's your taste. Just suggestions.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    If you're just starting out with cigars you might want to try a flavored cigar. If so stay away from the cheap crap at the 7/11. Instead Try something from the Drew Estate collection. Maybe a Blondie single. (Sounds kind of dirty.....) Be warned it's got a fairly sweet taste to it. I personally don't care for flavored cigars to much, but certainly go with something mild.
    Don't forget to drink something with your cigar. It will really dry you out and give you a bad taste quick if you don't. I don't drink hard stuff so I turn to a good cup of Joe.
    As with anything, no one can tell you what you like that's your taste. Just suggestions.

CAO makes some nice flavored cigars, cherry, vanilla, "moontrance" (pipe tobacco smell), etc.

ACID cigars have spiced flavors to them. Blondie seems to be one of the most popular. KubaKuba is another. I'm not a fan of any of the ACID cigars except the Extraordinary Larry and at $13 a stick its too expensive to recommend to anyone.

The best of the flavored cigars are the TABAK ESPECIAL cigars, and the best of those is the ragged foot ROBUSTO NEGRA. Wow its a great cigar, fairly mild, lots of flavor, not too sweet, its a coffee infused flavor that is mostly tobacco with a hint of coffee.

Top Bottom