Cigarette TAX CHEATS ..it's the law Let's get'em ...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Duncan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2010
    South of Indy
    Cigarette Taxes and Smuggling 2010 [Mackinac Center]

Market forces IE supply and demand and unfair taxation will trump every time .
    Why are people smuggling .. to save or make money .
    That is the effect ... the cause is unfair oppressive taxation . People know that the reason there is such a high tax at the state and federal level is not for the proper function of the government .
    It's because special interest wanted to create social conditioning .
    Anyone that smokes will tell you it is stupid to do so if asked .. it they are honest .
    The do-gooders along with gutless greedy politicians looking for a way to raise taxes on a minority of people that few would care about have brought this about .

Well I for one support it and would do so if placed on a jury .
    Oh... my God .. Duncan you heretic .. you un-American BÅ$∏ard ...
    Humm ... who was the guy that was a big name smuggler .. oh yeah
    John Hancock ..
    John Hancock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks
    Duncan

PS For all you folks that want to enforce ALL laws ... I hope you never bought any smokes across state lines and brought them home ... and IF you know of some one in your family .. you should turn them in .. remember there is not statute of limitations dealing with fraud .

schip.jpg

smoke-em-hdr.jpg

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    The simple fact that there is an organization that did this "study" shows there are too many people with WAY too much idle time on their hands.

What? Its a policy center/thinktank, what should they be doing? This time, they chose to research crime patterns and trends involving tobacco prohibition.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Gee...isn't a state telling cigarette smokers of that state that they MUST buy their cigarettes in that state, regulation of interstate commerce by an individual state?

I don't smoke, so it makes no difference to me.
    But when I see the way the federal government bends and twists the interstate commerce clause of the Constitution when it suits THEIR puproses, it's not that big of a stretch to ask this. LOL

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    What? Its a policy center/thinktank, what should they be doing? This time, they chose to research crime patterns and trends involving tobacco prohibition.

My point was, with EVERYTHING else going on THIS is a "problem" that needs study/research????:dunno: IMO there are MUCH more pressing matters that could/should be studied/researched. It also appears the only reason it's being looked at is the possible loss of tax revenues.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    A friend of mine at work was buying cigs from a place called "dirtcheapcigs.com", they were all cheaply made knock off stuff, probably 50% saw dust ;)

but, because it was out of state he wasn't paying any tax on them. Indiana and other states went after the website for a list of all of their customers and their orders. My friend got a tax bill from the state of indiana for all of their due taxes. It ended up being a few hundred bucks! maybe close to a $1k!

Duncan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2010
    South of Indy
    A friend of mine at work was buying cigs from a place called "dirtcheapcigs.com", they were all cheaply made knock off stuff, probably 50% saw dust ;)

but, because it was out of state he wasn't paying any tax on them. Indiana and other states went after the website for a list of all of their customers and their orders. My friend got a tax bill from the state of indiana for all of their due taxes. It ended up being a few hundred bucks! maybe close to a $1k!

Glad to see they got that tax cheat :D:D

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit

My point was, with EVERYTHING else going on THIS is a "problem" that needs study/research????:dunno: IMO there are MUCH more pressing matters that could/should be studied/researched. It also appears the only reason it's being looked at is the possible loss of tax revenues.

I would certainly hope that the funding for this 'think tank' came from an endowement from some private entity instead of a 'grant' originating from all that confiscated 'tax' money taken from us poor smokers. :):

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I assume all of you high tech guys that buy your crap over the interwebz reports those purchases and pay sales tax to Indiana also. Christmas season just ended... all those gifts... I am thinking we probably have a few tax cheats amongst us.

SWAMPMASTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Logantucky
    As a smoker jsut remember that when they get done taxing me I hope they tax something you enjoy or have a habit.

I wish they would tax beer and wine and hard spirits with the same tax rate as Cigs

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have to wonder if people can legally grow thier own tobacco and make thier own smokes. Having known people who grew tobacco for sale I remember them saying that this was heavily regulated.

One woman I knew said that she always planted tobacco whenever one of her kids moved back home as it was a high maintainence crop and the kids either tended it or moved back out.;)

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    As a smoker jsut remember that when they get done taxing me I hope they tax something you enjoy or have a habit.

I wish they would tax beer and wine and hard spirits with the same tax rate as Cigs

As a non smoker I wish they would tax cigarettes and alcohol at the same tax rate as candy and fast food.

End sin taxes.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Ive been smoking for a long time. Any honest smoker would tell you they want to quit. Personally, id LOVE to see tobacco made illegal. That would be the one thing that could help me stop, because free will and gum/e-cigs have failed me many times. Not to mention there are plenty of other greener substances that dont cause cancer or any of the other ridiculous effects of tobacco smoke.

However, im a huge libertarian... so at the end of the day, id just say keep the gov out of it and do what you want!

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    Ive been smoking for a long time. Any honest smoker would tell you they want to quit. Personally, id LOVE to see tobacco made illegal. That would be the one thing that could help me stop, because free will and gum/e-cigs have failed me many times. Not to mention there are plenty of other greener substances that dont cause cancer or any of the other ridiculous effects of tobacco smoke.

However, im a huge libertarian... so at the end of the day, id just say keep the gov out of it and do what you want!

You would quit if a few tyrants got together and told you that you weren't allowed to?

We can't be the land of the free/home of the brave is our people don't seek freedom and act bravely. There is nothing brave about smoking, but it takes a real coward to quit when the government tells you to. :patriot:

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    You would quit if a few tyrants got together and told you that you weren't allowed to?

We can't be the land of the free/home of the brave is our people don't seek freedom and act bravely. There is nothing brave about smoking, but it takes a real coward to quit when the government tells you to. :patriot:

Thus the last sentence in my previous statement. I was just saying it would be easier for me to quit if tobacco were less accessible. Were on the same page man, I want as little government as possible just like the rest of the smart people in this country. :twocents:

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN

The reason that alcohol isn't taxed at the same ridiculous rate as cigs, is because most, if not all, Legislators drink.
    When most of them smoked in the last half of the 20th Century the tax on cigs was next to nothing.
    Since it's a fact that alcohol causes tens of thousands of deaths and injuries yearly, thus putting a tremendous burden of the Health Care System, I'd say that it should be HEAVILY taxed to off set the skyrocketing Health Care costs in this country.
    That is the reasoning used to set the tax rates on cigarettes, so it should also apply to alcohol. :D

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kostas25
    Top Bottom