• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    IF it's the block sweating you'll have to seal the blocks. Block sealer works just for that. I got the roll on type and cured my problems. New blocks have to "weather or age" before sealing I'm told. No expert for sure but it took care of my issues with moisture.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I had a job a while back where the customer kept saying he had a roof leak. I didn't install this roof but looked all over for a leak and seen nothing noticeable. I went to his house one morning when it was really cold and went in his attic, he had frost everywhere on bottom side of roof. Is what was happening is when it would get cold at night the frost was building up, then when sun would come out, it would thaw and melt frost, then frost would drip and leak was happening. After consulting with some ventilation experts I concluded it had to be humidity problem. I called homeowner and asked if he had a humidifier and he said yes, on furnace....I asked if it was set below 35% and he said no, 40-45%....I suggested lowering it to 30-35% and he did........no problems since then.

I don't understand this stuff......but thermal bridging, ventilation, humidity and temperature is where it is at.

It's like ice dams.....insulation and ventilation will solve ice dams.....9 out of 10 times.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yeah, yeah, I know, I have them upstairs in the library and the kitchen. Do you think a ceiling fan will fix it?

In the mean time, before you go buy and go to the trouble of installing a ceiling fan, if you have a box fan or other portable fan or two, place it/them out there in your garage and see if it helps.

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    That is the coldest point in that room where the two temps meet. Suggest pulling casing around door & spraying Great Stuff foam (BLUE CAN) it's the best. DAPP brand can actually let water seep thru it! If it's too tight to get the straw in then get some batt insulation , tear some off & use a screwdriver to stuff in the crack. Reinstall casing , caulk inside & out & you should not have an issue. A fan will help to dry any moisture but you'll still have the problem. Hope this helps! I hear about this all the time since I sell windows & doors at the blue roof store

Top Bottom