0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Citadel Full-size 1911 range report:
    Specs: .45 ACP
    8+1 capacity
    5-inch barrel
    36 oz. empty
    Series 70 firing system

Upon first glance, I fell in love with the full-size Citadel 1911 by Armscor. At a price point of under $600, it is a high-value pistol with many extras you will not find on most 1911s at this price. It has a skeletonized hammer and trigger, dovetail safety, and ambidextrous safety. For $600 (I got mine for $550) you get the pistol, two 8 round magazines, a cable lock, all in a hard case.

Today I went to the range and only had a few issues due, most were due to operator. In 250 rounds of Blazer aluminum case 230gr, I had no FTFs or FTEs, that’s zero. I had a couple failures to go into battery, but that was because of hand placement on the slide lock. The only major problem was the trigger. In the first 30 or so rounds, the trigger felt very gritty and would not return to its reset point and had to be pushed forward manually. It wasn’t much, only 1-2mm, just enough to not reengage the sear. After the 30 rounds, the trigger was near perfect with a very crisp break. Take up on the trigger is a little much but is still ok. What happened next was short of amazing, for such an inexpensive 1911.

At my local gun club, there are a series of plates setup at 25, 50, and 100 yards. I spent the first hour getting use to the feel of the gun in my hand by shooting the 25 yard plates and doing reload drills. I then wanted to test the accuracy of the weapon. I drew down on the 50 yard plate, squeezed the trigger, and BULLSEYE!! I spent the next 15 minutes shooting at the 50 yard plate and heard the steel ring again, and again, and again. I forgot just how fun it was to shoot. I then loaded a single magazine and just for fun, drew down on the 100 yard plate. I wasn’t expecting much, just trying to humor myself and have a little more fun. The first shot was a little low, about a foot or so. I compensated for the drop; then… ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding. That’s right, 7 of 8 rounds of 230gr .45ACP connect at 100 yards out of an entry level 1911. WOW!!!

After getting over what a hotshot I am, I put 63 rounds of 185gr Hornady Critical Defense down range (I only had 4 boxes and wanted to still have 17 rounds to load both magazines plus keep one chambered). It fed perfectly contrary to what I have read in many reviews. I am happy this is the case because Critical Defense is my preferred carry round in all of my other pistols.

Overall, I am very pleased with my new pistol. I am ecstatic of how accurate it is out of the box. I only plan to do a couple minor changes for now. The first thing to go is the plastic mainspring housing. That is the only thing that really bothers me. The other change will be Novak night sights. In the future I will do a trigger job with all Nighthawk parts: hammer, trigger, and sear. I may upgrade to some Wilson Combat 47D magazines but the factory mags work superbly. If you are looking for a new 1911 but don’t want to “pony up the dough” for one of the high end pistols, look into getting a full-size Citadel. For under $600, you simply can’t beat it.

Top Bottom