• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    City Proposes Fees For Special-Event Lawn Parking - Indiana News Story - WRTV Indianapolis

It looks like all those people downtown near Lucas Oil who let people park in their yards for special events may be facing legislation to regulate that activity. The city is looking to make these people pay $75 for a permit to allow cars to park in their yard for money. They claim it will "legitimize" the "industry." I can't see a valid safety issue with this, so to me it seems like the city seeing an opportunity to make a buck. Honestly I don't live or work downtown so maybe there is more to the issue than what I can see.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    More property rights out the window.

So now people are going to just say FORGET IT and block off their yard and driveway, and parking will be even MORE SCARCE during special events.

ACK!!

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I don't see a problem with it. I mean they're from the government and they're here to help, right? RIGHT?

:rolleyes: more stupid laws.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    "These are just all my friends who are at the game, I let them park, then post-game, they provide me copious amounts of alcohol and we party more. That way they're not driving home until sober if their cars + keys are here."

-J-

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    If the city had had enough forethought, they would have purchased some of those surrounding ramshackle properties and turned them into parking venues. Their mistake has been realized, so now it seems they want their "cut". Shameful, if you ask me. However, if they would agree to use all the permit $ to fix the adjacent streets (I've seen smoother 4x4 trails) it might be worth it. At least the residents in the area would benefit. I doubt this will happen though.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    The quotes from the tax-feeder are hilarious. Legitimize the industry?

Vendor licensing fees would be between $75 and $139, depending on whether an inspection is needed.

An inspection? Of my yard to see if can hold the weight of a car? I wonder what it would take for a yard to fail an inspection.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If the city had had enough forethought, they would have purchased some of those surrounding ramshackle properties and turned them into parking venues. Their mistake has been realized, so now it seems they want their "cut". Shameful, if you ask me. However, if they would agree to use all the permit $ to fix the adjacent streets (I've seen smoother 4x4 trails) it might be worth it. At least the residents in the area would benefit. I doubt this will happen though.

They did this already. They used eminent domain to steal Hurst property.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Heck, I'm surprised they don't make folks get a business license, tax number, and report their earnings. Then throw on the permit fee, inspections (ADA, OSHA, etc....) and a required minimum parking fee that goes back to the city.

If your going to screw someone, might as well do it right. Heaven forbid someone makes some beer money on a weekend.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Heck, I'm surprised they don't make folks get a business license, tax number, and report their earnings. Then throw on the permit fee, inspections (ADA, OSHA, etc....) and a required minimum parking fee that goes back to the city.

If your going to screw someone, might as well do it right. Heaven forbid someone makes some beer money on a weekend.

You can only take one step at a time. Step one is open the regulate door. Step two is everything else you mentioned.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Really?! I thought Hurst fought and were spared. I didn't know they took property. I've bought lots and lots of beans from Hurst. They are good folks down there. -1 to Indy for caving to Irsay on many counts.

Hurst finally caved and sold the ground so eminent domain wasn't fully implemented. It was obvious hurst had ZERO chance of winning. What makes it even worse is that hurst already allowed parking there on game days. Only problem was that hurst made the parking money, not Irsay or Indy.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This is such a Peterson move, really. Ballard's minions learned much from him.

If you talk to folks about how The Precedent developments are formed, you'll see this tactic: if their opponents don't have the resources $$$ to stand up to them legally, they win.

At least Hurst had some means to fight them for awhile, but even they knew it was only making the lawyers rich. You think the residents close to downtown are going to fight it?

Pay to play legal system.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Gotta love republican administrations. You get to see their true colours so often.

Actually it has nothing at all to do with which animal was ridden into office.

Many years ago a law was passed making it illegal to fire a government employee because of political affiliation. What was the purpose? Keep continuity in government and protect employees from cronyism. What has been the effect? Bloated government and a whole bunch of people creating new rules to ensure they continue to get a paycheck.

Use Indianapolis as an example. Most programs initated under Petersen are still in place under Ballard. Why? Because the new Mayor isn't allowed under state law to kill the programs and fire the workers. It's "political". So the program just runs on in perpetuity.

All government positions should be political appointments. You elect a Mayor to run the city, but then don't empower them to establish their own team to do it. This is wrong. It creates bloat. It's bad for business, and should be bad for government too.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    ::Obligatory reference to an APC holding your driveway hostage during the Superbowl::

Had to get that out of my system, sorry. Was too perfect to pass up :):

Seriously, this is just another way the government shows who actually owns the land you claimed to have "purchased" so as to become a "landowner". Land-renter is more like it...

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    If someone is there making money, someone is there from the government to tax it. Or in this case make them get a permit. Government always looking for "revenue".

Top Bottom