• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    We now have 3 young Americans who are one step closer to understanding what it really means to be free.

It's a hell of a good start. :patriot:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I agree... I would actually nominate this best thread for the month of August.

Man, if we could just get 25% of next generation to think this way we'd be headed back into the right direction.

I know my son will be taught this.

I'm going to schedule a weekly reminder in outlook to drop Suprtek +rep for the next month haha.... I'm betting you get another bacon badge just from this thread!!

Why stop at 25%?

I'm all for 100%

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Don't really wanna start a new thread so I'll just add to this one.

The other day my wife and I had breakfast at "Diana's Diner" on Stop 11 near Emerson. Great food and service, BTW. While we were eating, we noticed a badly tattered U.S. Flag flapping around on a small pole out front. When I went to pay for our meal, I complimented their service and food. I then told them that I'd like to ask a small favor. "Would you please take down the flag out front, it looks pretty tattered". She seemed to not know what to say and muttered something about not really noticing it.

That was two days ago. Today, we happened to drive by there again. Guess what we saw? It was a brand new bright and shiny flag waving proudly on that pole.

+1 to Diana's Diner!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Don't really wanna start a new thread so I'll just add to this one.

The other day my wife and I had breakfast at "Diana's Diner" on Stop 11 near Emerson. Great food and service, BTW. While we were eating, we noticed a badly tattered U.S. Flag flapping around on a small pole out front. When I went to pay for our meal, I complimented their service and food. I then told them that I'd like to ask a small favor. "Would you please take down the flag out front, it looks pretty tattered". She seemed to not know what to say and muttered something about not really noticing it.

That was two days ago. Today, we happened to drive by there again. Guess what we saw? It was a brand new bright and shiny flag waving proudly on that pole.

+1 to Diana's Diner!

Great job. For those who want to rep this man more than once, he has over 1700 posts. Nothing says the rep has to be for the post it shows up on.

Suprtek, did you go back into Diana's and thank them?

On talking to those boys, I think I would have gone into such things as the reason for the triangle fold, meanings of the colors... all things that would have gone completely over their heads and meant nothing at all to them. Your way is much better. I like it. If I have the opportunity, I plan on using it.

Rep is well-deserved and has been added.

Blessings,
    Bill

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I just now saw this thread. I want to say that you did a great job and I really hope those boys learned a lesson from you and remember it for the rest of their lives!!!

I'll get you some rep when I recharge!! +1

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I would also like to add that if anyone else has some flag stories, feel free to post them here. It would be nice to show people that its not necessarily that difficult to remind people about respecting the flag and therefore our country.

As some of you may have figured out by now, trying to get something done about mistreatment of the flag is something I'm passionate about. I'm sure there are others that have had similar experiences. If we post about them, we can give each other ideas on how to do it better as well as inspire others to get involved.

I understand the importance of the flag and why it deserves respect, but I am no expert when it comes to the laws, protocols, and history of the flag. I know we have some members with a lot more knowledge than me. Let's spread that knowledge around.

I have a few other experiences I can share but I'd like to hear from the rest of you. If you've had an experience, share it. If you notice a flag in need of attention, post it. None of us can drop everything every time we notice a problem. If we let everyone else know, we're much more likely to get something done.

:patriot:

:ingo:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I'm sorry I missed this. Words can't explain just how awesome that was. I owe you some more rep.

BURNSURVIVOR725

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Vincennes
    I have a flag story of another kind. On September 30th 2009 i got a phone call from my mom as me and some buddies were eating at the cafeteria at V.U. She told me my grandfather had passed that morning. He was laid to rest the following Tuesday. He was retired from the U.S.M.C. He did 3 tours in Korea.

i was a paul bearer, it was one of the hardest tings ive ever had to do bu it was a great honor. i will never forget facing the Grandpa in the cold rain with my back to the Honor Guard as they gave him the 21 gun salute. As long as i live i will NEVER forget as the Marines who were not much older than i took the flag from his casket and folded it up.

It was amazing the care and respect of which they handled the flag. then after presenting the flag to Grandma every one of those young men gave my her a hug and said a few words to her. Unfortunately i didnt get the chance to thank them before they slipped away. but i will never forget them.

One of the shell casings from the 21 gun salute is taped to the lid of my toolbox. its my daily reminder to give it my all.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Condolences for your loss. As usual, the debts we owe to all our service members can never be repaid.

This brings to mind a question I have often wondered about. How appropriate is it to fly a flag that has been used to honor a service member? I know it has been done, but I don't know what protocol is in a case like this.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Condolences for your loss. As usual, the debts we owe to all our service members can never be repaid.

This brings to mind a question I have often wondered about. How appropriate is it to fly a flag that has been used to honor a service member? I know it has been done, but I don't know what protocol is in a case like this.

There is nothing in the flag code that says yes or no. Here is a link to a website that answers your exact question:

Flag Frequently Asked Questions

This site also has a ton of other information about the flag code, makes for a good read!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I would also like to add that if anyone else has some flag stories, feel free to post them here. It would be nice to show people that its not necessarily that difficult to remind people about respecting the flag and therefore our country.

As some of you may have figured out by now, trying to get something done about mistreatment of the flag is something I'm passionate about. I'm sure there are others that have had similar experiences. If we post about them, we can give each other ideas on how to do it better as well as inspire others to get involved.

I understand the importance of the flag and why it deserves respect, but I am no expert when it comes to the laws, protocols, and history of the flag. I know we have some members with a lot more knowledge than me. Let's spread that knowledge around.

I have a few other experiences I can share but I'd like to hear from the rest of you. If you've had an experience, share it. If you notice a flag in need of attention, post it. None of us can drop everything every time we notice a problem. If we let everyone else know, we're much more likely to get something done.

:patriot:

:ingo:

One of the places I've worked had a flagpole that blew over in a storm. They eventually fixed it, but in the meantime, on one of my shifts, I went to the storeroom to get some cleaning supplies and found the flag all bunched up into a ball. I was.... nonplussed.

Found a co-worker and showed her what I'd found. Unbeknownst to me, her father served as a Marine, and instilled in her the same respect I hold for Old Glory. We gave the flag a proper folding and put it away to await the replacement of the pole.

As it would happen, a couple shifts later, I found another flag which, like the first, was slightly sun-faded, but was similarly balled up, this time in the medical supply storeroom. Once again, I found a coworker (not the same one; she was off duty) and we did a proper job of folding the flag. I placed this one with the other so that when the pole was replaced, the better of the two would be flown and the other replaced.

To me, it is inexcusable to not know such things as how to care for our nation's flag. How sad that so many who don't know that care nothing for even making an attempt at one nor do they see reason to do so.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom