• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    i'm a christian and i feel that there could be other life out there.even if there is other life out there it would have been created by GOD. the whole universe is made up of galaxies and ours the milky way is one of about 3 trillion. in the milky way you have solar systems like our,the sun and planets. and our solar system is one of about 50 million. so there is the chance that there is life out there some where. it's like where there are those who deny the native american oral history of a white man with a beard that visited them in time before. these oral histories even go go into central and south america. this is just my thinking on it. GOD created man,but he could have also created life anywhere else

It'd be interesting to read their religious texts. Wonder how many earthlings would convince them of Christianity and which would be convinced of the alien gospel.

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    "I only think I could be a better PaulF". My wife and I subscribe to that line of thinking. Every day presents each and every one of us, all over the world, with situations that require us to act in a certain way.Our actions are guided by an infinite amount of influences. When I wake in the morning, it begins. When I go to sleep in the the evening, it pauses. When I wake again, I have another opportunity to be a better person.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I wanted to reply, because I enjoy our conversations. It's always good to see you, sir.

I have no idea how to respond to your post.

This is something that I have run into before. A matter of perspective, I think. You live in a world where God exists. He is central to the universe and to the function of absolutely everything within it. To imagine my position you must try to remove god from that world, and it falls apart in however many ways you choose to approach it.

I live in a world in which our species has had a long a long history of creating gods. Time after time those gods proved to be nothing more than fiction, the religious bureaucracies built up round them only functioned to serve the basest desires of our most ambitious brethren...greed, power, lust...control. To see your view I have to try to add your god to my world...to somehow set this one apart from the others...and it falls apart in however many ways I choose to approach it.

I don't think I could be a better god than your God. I don't believe in gods. I only think I could be a better PaulF.

One thing's for sure...until you're ready, nobody will talk you into believing. I know you're familiar with the Word; you've read it and had it presented to you. And I know this applies to many others that have lost their faith and/or heard about it and chose to dismiss it.

A few weeks ago, our pastor challenged us to a little homework assignment---make a list of 5 (or so) folks that we know that we believe could benefit from being prayed for for a month or so. Some of you, I've met in person. Others, I'd like to someday. Many on here, I consider friends, whether we've physically met or not. I don't know why but Paul, you were one of the few here on INGO I felt compelled to include on that list.

When I created my list, I had on my heart to pray for those to someday be like the "prodigal son". Some adamant non-believers might insist that I not waste my time. I don't consider it a waste. I believe there'd be joy in heaven (just like in that parable) for everyone of you that comes home. I know it woud be a joy to me too.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Let's have lunch sometime, Paul. I will walk to that lonely cliff and look down into the abyss with you.

I'll even fake like I'm going to push you off, just to get your blood flowing. That's what friends do, right? ;)

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I often see the words "Holy Scriptures" used to describe the New Testament...It's my belief that the New Testament is composed of Greco-Roman biographical histories, along with a collection of letters written to fist century AD congregations...When I read the New Testament I see it as historical events preserved for future generations....

Atheists, Agnostics, Christians (as well as many other Faiths) can all agree that "something" incredible happened 2,000 years ago...So incredible that the date on our computers is based upon the "Year of Our Lord"...I find it amazing that in a era (and region) where 90%+ of the people were illiterate, the witnesses made sure that within (roughly) one hundred years these events were written down and preserved for posterity so that others may receive the "Good News"....My favorite passages in the Bible are Luke 1-4...As an amateur historian (self taught) I like how Luke starts it out.....

Luke 1:1-4King James Version (KJV)

[FONT=&amp]1 Forasmuch as many have taken in hand to set forth in order a declaration of those things which are most surely believed among us,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]2 Even as they delivered them unto us, which from the beginning were eyewitnesses, and ministers of the word;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]3 It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write unto thee in order, most excellent Theophilus,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]4 That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.[/FONT]

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I will say this, I respect PaulF's beliefs (or lack thereof), just as he respects mine. Out of respect for that belief, I will not question or debate them in an open internet forum. You get me one-on-one... :D

You two remind me of these two.....

[video=youtube;_ZCqOHaRRXk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZCqOHaRRXk[/video]

[video=youtube;HsGIbU_FYTw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsGIbU_FYTw&t=1s[/video]

As they were leaving that first interview Larry leaned into Hitch and said, "I am afraid that after you're gone your friends are going to say we were not really "friends" and that you only pretended to be my friend.." And Hitch gave a great Hitch response..."Well Larry, that doesn't say much good about either of us then does it? And if they do, well, there is that..." (referring to the interview they just did.)

Larry Taunton finished the first chapter in his book "The Faith of Christopher Hitchens" and sent a draft to Hitch for approval...Hitch said, "How sporting of you Larry but I must say you made one ghastly error and it needs to be corrected..I drink Johnny Walker Black...Not Red...."

RIP Hitch.....This Christian man sure misses you and your wit....

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    You're assuming there would be a meaningful difference.

"Greetings Earthlings...I bring you Good News of our Lord and Savior....Oh....You all got this Book already???? Wait a minute.....GUYS!!!! We are on the planet where Jesus Christ is from....You know I told my college professor this place existed and was not a myth and he just mocked myself and the other Christians....I can't wait to get back home...Hey can one of you all direct us to Jerusalem??? I mean as long as we are here I want to see where it all went down....AMAZING!!!!"

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    It really depends. In practice the line is quite blurry.

I have never described myself as agnostic. It feels insincere. Agnostic either means one is "unsure", or it means that the answer is "unknowable". Neither is true for me.

I am not conflicted. I do not spend time and effort weighing the options between a world without gods compared to a world where gods exist, but in such a way where their actions are indistinguishable from their absence.

I also think if gods existed their interactions and requirements would remain consistent over time and over distance. If gods existed it would be obvious, as people from all over the world would come to the same religious conclusions regardless of their contact with outside ideas. If gods really existed a person that lived their entire life in isolation would have just as deep an understanding of God as the most educated scholar...since they both received their message directly from the source...the same source.

So, I think if gods existed it would be knowable...and that's one of the key reasons I do not believe in anyone else's gods.

The best that I've heard it described is: "I don't know what the answer is; however, I am certain that you don't have the correct answer."

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I will say this, I respect PaulF's beliefs (or lack thereof), just as he respects mine. Out of respect for that belief, I will not question or debate them in an open internet forum. You get me one-on-one... :D

What, like the Mormons that show up at your door? :):

I like having PaulF here. He's genuinely curious and very civil and doesn't just post in this thread to be argumentative.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    "Greetings Earthlings...I bring you Good News of our Lord and Savior....Oh....You all got this Book already???? Wait a minute.....GUYS!!!! We are on the planet where Jesus Christ is from....You know I told my college professor this place existed and was not a myth and he just mocked myself and the other Christians....I can't wait to get back home...Hey can one of you all direct us to Jerusalem??? I mean as long as we are here I want to see where it all went down....AMAZING!!!!"

Too funny! :laugh::laugh:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

I do not respect beliefs, but I value PaulF.

I will question and debate him in an open internet forum, or privately over lunch - his choice.

I rarely allow indefensible beliefs to stand unchallenged in my presence.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom