CIVIL RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION: General Religious Discussion...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If we want to talk about unethical church practices, let's talk about pastors that conflate Biblical precepts with libertarian beliefs. I.e. those that think sensible safety measures in an infringement on "mye-rites"...

A lot of people seem to only apply Romans 13:1-7 to, y'know, other people...and forget that it was written when...get ready for this....the Romans were the ruling authority.

Knight Rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Michiana
    So another small business' employees are more important than ours? Churches are just supposed to bow down and take it on the chin because?...
    No churches are voluntarily funded by their members. They are not just any other small business and when they become one, they should be prepared for their tables to be overturned.

I can’t and won’t argue against the positions taken here. This whole series of events is a crap sandwich we’ve been forced to eat. I choose to not take anything to which I feel I’m not entitled. That’s just how I’m wired. I don’t hold any hostility to those who feel differently.

I am however surprised that on a site that purports to be in favor of limited government , the hands appear to reach out awfully quickly when the goodies are handed out. I won’t comment further on this as I got exactly what I asked.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I am however surprised that on a site that purports to be in favor of limited government, the hands appear to reach out awfully quickly when the goodies are handed out. I won’t comment further on this as I got exactly what I asked.

CircularOpenIndianringneckparakeet-size_restricted.gif

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Our church giving was well in excess of our budget last week with only about 20% being online after that being hastily arranged 10 days ago, so....

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Sad news. If you havent heard Rev Z speak, you are missing out. He's like a Minister version of Ben Shapiro. VERY sharp witted and can spar with those who disagree with him very artfully and respectfully. He has lots of videos up on Youtube.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/ravi-zacharias-dies-atlanta-age/VJqNHWxy101c8TC1HRVIVM/

Listened to him often. Sometimes struggled to understand, but I knew that he certainly did. He had a lot of great answers; he has all the answers that matter now.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Although I may be in need of a lawyer soon for advice after talking to mom. I could have a second favorite protestant again.....of the ancient variety :stickpoke:TLex or the slightly more modern :stickpoke:Hough.

It's quiet in here anyway. Short version, mom, lives in WV cul-de-sac, in a rural old subdivision with a defunct HOA (haven't paid dues in years). The drain from the road runs through her property over the hill towards a small river (creek) and the pipe has collapsed and the water is basically forming a 5-6 ft deep trench about 15-20 feet long going back over the hill.

The road is not maintained by the state or the county and the HOA is defunct. County Commissioner is saying she may need a lawyer. Any friendly advice as to what a lawyer might be able to do in such a situation? Sounds to me like it's her $10000 problem (one estimate) to get fixed which means its my $10,000 problem :)

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Well I do come from a Wesleyan background so I am partial to John Wesley which means Methodists. However, even as a kid in the 70s, when we did go to my aunt's Methodist church I was warned that it was too liberal :)

Awwww Shucks, Foszoe. I'm honored. I had no idea I was your other favorite. :):

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Oof.

A lawyer would help chart how to work with the local authorities and HOA. One path might be that she could re-constitute the HOA and actually make an assessment against the other HOA members to subsidize this. That would be pretty aggressive.

Or work with the local authorities to really figure out if is their problem, or if they want to help create the solution. Another aggressive action might be to threaten to dam the water to prevent the damage to her property. That'll get the attention of the locals.

"Riparian rights" are tricky. And, if the HOA is defunct, there may be claims by the landowners for the land previously owned by the HOA. It could get complicated.

[This is not legal advice to you or her. Just observations.]

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    i understand.

She just talked to me. While I was in thread so it was kinda like we were in the same room.

I think that estimate is too much anyway. I think I'll pay my cousins to dig a trench and just fit a pipe on the broken end The slope is so steep at her house, If we ran it past the woods line, it would be enough for me.

Oof.

A lawyer would help chart how to work with the local authorities and HOA. One path might be that she could re-constitute the HOA and actually make an assessment against the other HOA members to subsidize this. That would be pretty aggressive.

Or work with the local authorities to really figure out if is their problem, or if they want to help create the solution. Another aggressive action might be to threaten to dam the water to prevent the damage to her property. That'll get the attention of the locals.

"Riparian rights" are tricky. And, if the HOA is defunct, there may be claims by the landowners for the land previously owned by the HOA. It could get complicated.

[This is not legal advice to you or her. Just observations.]

Top Bottom