• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...or if they use the "Nazi salute", or they fly the Swastika flag. We are there to EDUCATE, not promote hate.

I understand, but flags and salutes...in the proper context, are history and not a present-day political statement.

I'm reminded of Ian on the YouTube channel "Forgotten Weapons" who had videos removed because he displayed a small, historically accurate flag with a swastika (the national flag of German from 1933-1945 was a red flag, white circle with the black swastika). As to military arms, he always displays the national flag that was in use in the country of original at the time the weapon was produced. He then began to pixelate that swastika, but lately, the flag has been accurately shown.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why this self-censorship is happening, but history is history.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I understand, but flags and salutes...in the proper context, are history and not a present-day political statement.

I'm reminded of Ian on the YouTube channel "Forgotten Weapons" who had videos removed because he displayed a small, historically accurate flag with a swastika (the national flag of German from 1933-1945 was a red flag, white circle with the black swastika). As to military arms, he always displays the national flag that was in use in the country of original at the time the weapon was produced. He then began to pixelate that swastika, but lately, the flag has been accurately shown.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why this self-censorship is happening, but history is history.

The Swastika flag was a national POLITICAL flag. It was not normally used by COMBAT troops. So, unless we were re-enacting a political rally, it is not correct or appropriate. The combat fkag was a red flag with a white circle in the middle with a maktese cross (think "plus sign) in the middle of the white circle. The "Nazi salute" was not implemented until Hitler ordered it to be used after the failed July 1944 assassination attempt on his life. We DO wear the small eagles on our uniforms clutching a swastika because that WAS part of the combat uniform. However, how long will it be before we are forced to replace the swastika with a little "smiley face"?

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    My mom and dad told me years ago that they could remember doing the Nazi salute in grade school. I was like, huh?

00bc21d360a4fedc97876fa174bf6108--bellamy-salute-pledge-of-allegiance.jpg

main-qimg-fe106bbee0b2750e2306baa97d4c09e0

hqdefault.jpg

children-salutes-flag-Kaufmann-Settlement-1934.jpg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I hate it when huge segments of society misconstrue either the basis for something or the meaning of it, simply because it is similar to something offensive. We should be generous in sharing the truth of history and meaning.

There is no benefit to being *****rdly with the truth.

Last edited:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I hate it when huge segments of society misconstrue either the basis for something or the meaning of it, simply because it is similar to something offensive. We should be generous in sharing the truth of history and meaning.

There is no benefit to being *****rdly with the truth.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any end to it.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wait.

The f'n censor censored a word that isn't actually a bad word?!?!?

This. sucks.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    You couldn't just say "cheap".....or even "parsimonious", could you.
    No.

There is a word that has the EXACT meaning. The meaning is not offensive. The word is not offensive. The only crime this word (allegedly) committed was to SOUNDS LIKE an offensive word.

Let's funking censor other sheety words just because they SOUND like words we don't like. I cant actually believe it. (Apostrophe intentionally omitted.)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Let me try this:

We should be generous with our efforts to help people understand the past and not *****rdly.

[edited to add]

Huh....it even assumes that you would misspell the word it is presumably blocking....which, all things considered, isn't a bad bet.

Anyhoo.....

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Let me try this:

We should be generous with our efforts to help people understand the past and not *****rdly.

[edited to add]

Huh....it even assumes that you would misspell the word it is presumably blocking....which, all things considered, isn't a bad bet.

Anyhoo.....

Dude.

Did you seriously think I spelled it wrong? :D

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    True story: I received an INGO warning demerit a couple years ago for using a word to bypass the censor that was NOT actually intended to bypass the censor.

What really sucked was that I thought that might be one of my quality posts, but because of that, it didn't count.

Now, its like the censor is toying with me by censoring a word that doesn't deserve it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    True story: I received an INGO warning demerit a couple years ago for using a word to bypass the censor that was NOT actually intended to bypass the censor.

What really sucked was that I thought that might be one of my quality posts, but because of that, it didn't count.

Now, its like the censor is toying with me by censoring a word that doesn't deserve it.

I've never had a warning or banning that I can recall. They're really being *****rdly with the discipline around here.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Just for you guys:

That was awesome. :)

It also stumbles upon something that's fascinated me for a long time: offensive words.

The words are just sounds. I can swear in 3.5 languages (Spanish is only from being called a bunch of stuff playing soccer). Foreign cusswords are gibberish. They have no meaning.

The IDEAS of the words are what constitutes offensive.

In that sense, profanity-censorship is thought control.

Top Bottom