• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tobi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Has anyone been to the civilian marksman program small arms firing school at Camp Perry? I am considering this for both rifle & pistol. Do you have any suggestions on equipment to take? What is you opinion of the courses? Does the CMP put on these classes in Indiana?

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    The small arms firing school is put on by the AMU, IIRC, and I believe is only available at Perry, though it might be put on at the eastern and western games as well.

I haven't been through, but as someone just getting started in high power, my goal is to make it this year or the following. As for as quality of the course, the AMU guys are pretty much the best of the best when it comes to precision shooting with iron sights.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Has anyone been to the civilian marksman program small arms firing school at Camp Perry? I am considering this for both rifle & pistol. Do you have any suggestions on equipment to take? What is you opinion of the courses? Does the CMP put on these classes in Indiana?

I have been to both pistol and rifle SAFS. I got leg points last year with the pistol. SAFS are only at Camp Perry during the national matches. Great instruction by the Army Marksmanship Unit. You get your own coach while on the line. Coaches come from all the branches and will have tons of experience. You can't beat the price either. 40 bucks to register, they provide the guns, ammo and a t-shirt. You can stay in base housing for as little as 11 bucks a night. Camping for RV is also available as is regular hotel rooms. A shooters chow hall is availble also.

As far as equipment, for the pistol just make sure you are comfortable weather wise. They will have coaches with bullseye boxes setup. They provide the pistol and ammo. You will hear this several times YOU CAN NOT USE YOUR PERSONAL M9. The pistol match is cool because you can use 2 hands and its at 25 yards.

For the rifle if you have a shooting mat, shooting jacket, fold-up stool(probably not a bad idead for the pistol also), and spotting scope take them. Take lunch because it will be a long day and you will be going to the pits to pull targets at some point depending on your relay.

If you go let me know I may do the rifle SAFS again just for the leg points if I can. I will be at Camp Perry during the pistol SAFS getting ready for the National Pistol Matches that will follow the pistol SAFS. I will be shooting the Service Pistol Warm-Up Match on 12 July to start. Then the rest of that week the 2700, National Pistol Match, and the President's 100.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Great post from USMC_0311

The only thing I might add is that you could go to the CMP website and read the shooting tips from the USAMU. Doesn't match the instruction that they give you in person, but it is something that might help.

Top Bottom